yo dawg

Ramsey

what do you feed your dog?

just picked up healthwise but thinking of going grain-free.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=439&cat=5

but thinking about

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1287&cat=8

i want good/cheap and something Boss will like.

Edited by Ramsey

My fiance is a dog food freak. I am not kidding, she can quote labels from memory. We have fed most of the grain free stuff trying to see what our dogs like. We settled on Taste of the Wild for a good balance between cost/quality for top shelf food. I can shoot you her email if you want (way more than you need) info.

To be honest that website seems to be unbalanced, they are missing other top shelf dog foods. And they only reviewed one kind of Iams dog food and like any other company they have different tiers of dog food.

Blue Buffalo

A lot of people talk about how dogs need more meat in their diet because of what they eat naturally, but you have to remember, dogs in the wild are hunting for their food and moving all the time, your dog at BEST is getting half of the workout they are. Be careful when selecting your protein content and the amount of food you are feeding them.

Your dog looks like a raging homo.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/George/DSC_0073-edited.jpg

Wrong, bitch.

And yes, we also do the olive oil thing in the morning, over his regular food. And occasionally a scrambled egg or two.

My grandmother had a poodle mutt, he lived to 19 years, hit not once, but twice by a car and he ate table scraps his entire life. Never had dog food for a meal ever, and drank well water in northeastern Ohio. Feed your dog whatever you want, it really doesn't matter.

If your feeding the animal anything with byproducts (Eukanuba, Iams, etc - all the mainstream commercial brands contain harmful ingredients) it's not going to be good for them, most dogs will have an alergen to these products because they contain grains as well.

Ramsey, feeding your dog Healthwise is going to be above most standards. They use oatmeal for their grain substitution which has a lot less likelyhood of causing alergic reactions in your animal. If you want to really treat the animal to some of the best diets by going grain free a switch to Evo or Innova would be wise - these foods are higher in pricing but require much less serving size because of their grainless ingredients and high protein content.

For dogs that are unable to stomach high protein foods but experience alergic reactions to grains and fillers (most commonly corn) a switch to Natural Balance or California Natural would be the next best choice. California Natural is going to be mostly for sensitive animals, it contains the most basic ingredient list on the market which consists of nearly 100% white rice and chicken. Natural Balance uses sweet potato or brown rice as a substitute grain which is much more digestable for a dog.

Those are among some of the top foods but others like Merrick, Ziwi Peak, Wellness, and Primal are also great foods.

I'm not stating any of you are doing anything wrong by feeding differently I'm just stating it is healthy for your animal to eat good ingredients. Some dogs very well can eat the cheaper foods and not have an alergen and live a healthy life. I could probably start drinking a six pack every morning I get up to wash down a package of bacon and smoke a box of cigars a week and live a good ninety year life as I do so. The point is - I would feel better eating well and taking care of myself.

Ignore Ben and his post

If your feeding the animal anything with byproducts (Eukanuba, Iams, etc - all the mainstream commercial brands contain harmful ingredients) it's not going to be good for them, most dogs will have an alergen to these products because they contain grains as well.

Ramsey, feeding your dog Healthwise is going to be above most standards. They use oatmeal for their grain substitution which has a lot less likelyhood of causing alergic reactions in your animal. If you want to really treat the animal to some of the best diets by going grain free a switch to Evo or Innova would be wise - these foods are higher in pricing but require much less serving size because of their grainless ingredients and high protein content.

For dogs that are unable to stomach high protein foods but experience alergic reactions to grains and fillers (most commonly corn) a switch to Natural Balance or California Natural would be the next best choice. California Natural is going to be mostly for sensitive animals, it contains the most basic ingredient list on the market which consists of nearly 100% white rice and chicken. Natural Balance uses sweet potato or brown rice as a substitute grain which is much more digestable for a dog.

Those are among some of the top foods but others like Merrick, Ziwi Peak, Wellness, and Primal are also great foods.

I'm not stating any of you are doing anything wrong by feeding differently I'm just stating it is healthy for your animal to eat good ingredients. Some dogs very well can eat the cheaper foods and not have an alergen and live a healthy life. I could probably start drinking a six pack every morning I get up to wash down a package of bacon and smoke a box of cigars a week and live a good ninety year life as I do so. The point is - I would feel better eating well and taking care of myself.

Ignore Ben and his post

Chicken and rice isn't going to help a dog with food allergies. You have to feed them duck, venison, goose stuff like that and potato.

My dog only eats Innova Puppy formula dry food. His poop is much more sold and not runny. His coat is shiny and beautiful people comment on it all the time. Also he eats less quantity of food Innova verses other popular dog food we tried. He leaves Innova in his bowl when full but Iams and Pedigree he eats until it is all gone.

guess I'm an ass for feeding my dog iams. He has a stomach of steel though and would eat a brick if he thought it would taste good.

Have any of you guys ever given your dogs a raw meat diet? I've heard great things about it but never had the stones (or financial motivation) to try it.

One time our dog was sick and they had us boil chicken and whole grain rice and feed him that, wouldn't that be better than most dry dog foods or would it be lacking in some respect?