Springfeild M1A rifle

Forrest Gump 9

M1A is the civilian term for an M14 (M14 has a full-auto reciever), much like M16:AR15 - you probably know this but I've been caught mixing the two.

I sport a Springfield Armory synthetic M1A with just a Douglas Barrell and some goodies. I love the gun, break down is fairly simple. Main difference between the M1A/M14 and AR platform is grease...they don't need oil, just grease.

You can buy them in a few variations: match, super match, etc. Most of the factory guns go for 1000-1200$, where match and super match can get up to 3,000$+. If you plan to build, I'd recommend a well known (Fulton, Smith Ent, etc) production reciever.

I have one and rarely shoot it. For target shooting, it's basically a garand that you don't have to reload quite as much. Accuracy out of my regular NON mall-ninja m1a is about what you'd expect from a factory battle rifle. I think they're far too expensive for what they are. If it was a full USGI parts rifle with a forged receiver, I'd be a little more excited but it's hard to pay $1200 for a rifle that's a compromise of quality. Kind of like a sig 556.

M1A/M14 is a far cry from an AR15/M16 style platform. 2 very different rifles in all aspects of operation, calibers, and all around ergonomics. You'll obviously spend more for the M1A not only in the rifle itself, but on the .308/7.62X51mm NATO ammo you need to run through it. I carried an M14 in Iraq, and never had one single issue. Not to mention when hit with a 173 grain M118LR 7.62 round, you go down after the first hit. I'm picking up a synthetic stock M1A scout so I can toss an EBR stock on it, but the wood standard M1A, I'm keeping as is.

-Good luck in the decision, but if you just want a "plinking" rifle go for AR15 platform. You want some of the greatest battle rifle ever made, go with the M1A platform.

M1A is the civilian term for an M14 (M14 has a full-auto reciever), much like M16:AR15 - you probably know this but I've been caught mixing the two.

I sport a Springfield Armory synthetic M1A with just a Douglas Barrell and some goodies. I love the gun, break down is fairly simple. Main difference between the M1A/M14 and AR platform is grease...they don't need oil, just grease.

You can buy them in a few variations: match, super match, etc. Most of the factory guns go for 1000-1200$, where match and super match can get up to 3,000$+. If you plan to build, I'd recommend a well known (Fulton, Smith Ent, etc) production reciever.

The M1A uses 7.62 round, while the Ar15/M16 is 5.56 round.

• 2 weeks later...
M1A/M14 is a far cry from an AR15/M16 style platform. 2 very different rifles in all aspects of operation, calibers, and all around ergonomics. You'll obviously spend more for the M1A not only in the rifle itself, but on the .308/7.62X51mm NATO ammo you need to run through it. I carried an M14 in Iraq, and never had one single issue. Not to mention when hit with a 173 grain M118LR 7.62 round, you go down after the first hit. I'm picking up a synthetic stock M1A scout so I can toss an EBR stock on it, but the wood standard M1A, I'm keeping as is.

-Good luck in the decision, but if you just want a "plinking" rifle go for AR15 platform. You want some of the greatest battle rifle ever made, go with the M1A platform.

Wanna sell some M118LR? :)