These Needed?

Xyster101

I am putting some SS lines on my car and R compound pads. While changing my pads, there are some odd parts. First off the backing plate. Is this needed? I was told it helps with squeaking. Second, are these little wire springs needed? They go between the pads to keep them apart. I would assume so the pads are not rubbing on the rotors all the time. To me, less little bits that might fall off and get between the pads and rotor is better. I can deal with some squeak or rubbing. I will be changing the R compound pads out to street after this weekend. The springs are a PIA to put on with the pads. Do I need them?

http://www.adamdaley.com/max/mr2/wires.JPG

if you pulled them off, prolly a good idea to put them back on.

Don't bleed your brakes.. no reason to do it, either. You'd just be wasting brake fluid and adding weight.

on a side note, you don't need pads either, the calipers will work just fine by themselves.

Ok seriously, why the hate? There are plenty of parts that can be taken off a car that is not daily driven and will improve handling but worsen comfort. Many people disable ABS, take out the air bag, AC, and EGR systems who track a car. I took off my cats in favor of a larger exhaust and quicker turbo spool. I put a manual boost controller on to over ride the preset waste gate pressure. I put in some poly bushing instead of rubber. It all serves a purpose to me. What is the purpose of these wires?

If you write a response have some info to back it up. Why are they needed? Does anyone know? So shut your hole (except AJ who had a semi decent response) because you don't seem to know shit as to what they do either (and they are on your car too)!

Ok seriously, why the hate? There are plenty of parts that can be taken off a car that is not daily driven and will improve handling but worsen comfort. Many people disable ABS, take out the air bag, AC, and EGR systems who track a car. I took off my cats in favor of a larger exhaust and quicker turbo spool. I put a manual boost controller on to over ride the preset waste gate pressure. I put in some poly bushing instead of rubber. It all serves a purpose to me. What is the purpose of these wires?

If you write a response have some info to back it up. Why are they needed? Does anyone know? So shut your hole (except AJ who had a semi decent response) because you don't seem to know shit as to what they do either (and they are on your car too)!

You're right, I know nothing.. MYBAD! :rolleyes:

I'll let you continue trying to change your pads

keep them all (springs and backing plate). Rob gave you the honest reason as to why.

As a matter of fact, go to the parts store and get new ones for when you put your street brakes back on, you'll thank me later.

Thanks Rob and Chris. I did not even know you could buy new ones. I will go get some from the local store. When I got brake fade last year it ment the pads were up over 1,000 degrees and it melted some of the paint onto the backers.

I did get an answer from someone who actually races:

"You don't need the spring, but it does help keep the pad from

dragging by forcing it off of the rotor. We do not run them on our

race cars."

Thanks for your help and self esteem bashing.

Thanks Rob and Chris. I did not even know you could buy new ones. I will go get some from the local store. When I got brake fade last year it ment the pads were up over 1,000 degrees and it melted some of the paint onto the backers.

I did get an answer from someone who actually races:

"You don't need the spring, but it does help keep the pad from

dragging by forcing it off of the rotor. We do not run them on our

race cars."

Thanks for your help and self esteem bashing.

Cliffs???= MR2> race car????

You drive a blue MR2. How much worse could anyone harm your self esteem?

KillJoy

Ahh true, but I love the car and it is a blast to drive. You don't like my car and I don't like Harleys. Opinions = Assholes, everyone has one.

Cliffs???= MR2> race car????

What does this mean? Cliffs? Of all cars the MR2 is not a good race platform, but I am not racing, I am going to a track day to learn to drive better and have fun.

Let me guess...you are putting your track pads on and there are no holes for them?

You have already been answered as far as what they are for, I don't have mine on due to the pads that I have. I notice the rattle at times from a slow speed w/ tops out and no radio on, hardly noticeable.

Let me guess...you are putting your track pads on and there are no holes for them?

You have already been answered as far as what they are for, I don't have mine on due to the pads that I have. I notice the rattle at times from a slow speed w/ tops out and no radio on, hardly noticeable.

Closing thread before the people that were wrong try to justify their posts by posting that they knew he didnt need them and were just being funny.....

Thank you Chris, Rob, and Sean.