m&p 15-22 carbine 22lr

Shawn89

So I've been looking for a sport rifle thats afordable to my budget. I found this one at vances, I know its a qualitlaty firearm thats no question, and for 459 the price is what I'm looking for. Thing is I like big cal. Guns. I've shot .22 pistols and I wasn't imprest. I've herd .22 rifles are very accurate, but will the m&p 15-22 carbine 22lr has some power? Can someone give me some insight one these guns?

Thanks for your time.

P.S. sorry if my spelling is off a little.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are looking for a gun with some recoil/kick to it you aren't going to get a whole lot of that from any .22

If you want someone cheap as hell to shoot that can go through rounds quickly with moderate accuracy then you are looking in the right place.

Power: No, not really. Squirrels/birds are your best bet for game.

Fun: Yes. Even with increases in ammo prices 500rds 22 rounds are going to cost you nothing.

That's something I was looking at to, ammo prices. Id rather have a 5.56 nato but at 80 bucks for 200 rounds I wouldn't be able to shoot it much plus the cost of the gun itself is at least 900 for an m&p.

I have one and I love it. Great for 25-30 yard plinking in the backyard. I also can get pretty good groupings at 100 yards when I go to the range. Some guys have had FTE problems with it, but after about 400 rounds I haven't had any FTE's or FTF. It is picky on what type of ammo you use. I stick to Federal bulk. It may not be as accurate as a bolt action .22lr or a ruger 10-22, but it's more accurate than I can shoot. If it's an older version you might have to send it in to get upgraded with the latest changes. Mine's an older serial number and I haven't any problems though. It seems hit or miss.

Some people don't like the fact it's an all polymer upper and lower, but I like that it's really light. Compared to all the .22lr Tatical style rifles it's one of the best. I've heard good things about the Sig 522 also. Stay away from the Colt M4 .22lr. Very unreliable, bad iron sights and cheaply made. The S&W probably fuctions as close to it's big brother over the other guns. The Colts bolt release is fake and it's difficult to tear down. The S&W is very easy to tear down and clean just like an A/R.

It's an expensive plinker, but in the end you save a ton of money over 5.56.

I like what I'm hearing.

I've also been reading about the hi point 9mm carbine. I know hipoint is a cheap "junk" gun but there's a lot of very good reviews on it. I know this is two differnt directions but 9mm has a little bit more kick and its a fast bullit.

I like what I'm hearing.

I've also been reading about the hi point 9mm carbine. I know hipoint is a cheap "junk" gun but there's a lot of very good reviews on it. I know this is two differnt directions but 9mm has a little bit more kick and its a fast bullit.

The Hi-Point kicks like a .22. I've had one ever since they came out and love it for plinking. I would never grab it to save my life though. For what the M&P will cost, you can pick up a 10/22 for plinking and a Mosin Nagant for something to beat your shoulder to death with. you can get Nagants for $80 and the ammo is cheap too.

The poor mans way to have fun at the range....

Doug- that's pretty nice looking.

I have a remington 870 express 12ga to beat on my sholder with but I want something a little more long rang acurate. Id like a gun to have fun with but also something I can grab to save my life if I ever have to. My 12ga is good for just that but its kinda big and heavy.

Are you two really serious?

:confused:

KillJoy

I will admit, I don't now a lot about the differnt guns and cals. Out there. I know how to safely opperate them, as well as clean and maintain.

The 15-22 is definitely not for self defense. I mean it's better than nothing. I'm sure a bunch of center mass hits would put someone down eventually, but it's not as effective as a shotgun or larger caliber weapon.

The 22lr is pretty much just for target practice, and hunting small animals.

Go for a kalashnikov you can get one for the same price or cheaper than the MP 15-22, they are great for protection, you can buy bulk surplus amoo, and its always gonna work.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=164260916

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=164271831

P.S. the 5.45 is close to a .223 and the 7.62 is on the far right in above pic

Not 30 of them.

I agree.... people act like a 22LR is a bad idea for self defense, but my opinion is, you fire enough of them into a person, they will stop... hell, the normal home intruder that sees a firearm period is going to run for the hills when they see one pulled regardless of it's caliber....

With that being said, my home protection is not a 22LR but a 12ga... but I still don't get why everyone is down on a 22LR... if I need to save my life, I'm not firing one round into someone and stopping... I am unloading the entire mag and grabbing my backup mag right afterwards... and making sure the job is done right so that myself and my family is safe.

but back on topic about the 15/22... I have been contimplating for a while to get one to have fun plunking around since it is WAAAAAAAAY cheaper than 223 amo and I can use most of the same accessories as the AR15 for the "cool" effect. As a matter of fact, I might rent one next weekend at the range and see how I like it as well as maybe check out the 10/22 since I've heard alot of good things about them as well.

it really isnt goint to do anything a 10/22 won't for less than half as much. The .22 ars are pretty much for people who want to look cool, but are too cheap to get the real deal. Why kid yourself? Mark's idea isn't bad either.

If you already have an AR, getting a .22 bolt is a great idea for under $200.

To cheap to get the real deal? I think 80% of the people I've seen have atleast one real AR, most have mutliple AR's. I plan on building an AR soon, but I wanted something that I could shoot in the backyard. I was going to just get the .22lr upper, but thought why not get a dedicated rifle for the cost of just the conversion upper.

500 bucks is a lot for a plinker so I wouldn't say someone was cheap if they owned one.

Now if you are cashed strapped, get the 10/22. It's a very reliable/accurate firearm. I definitely enjoy shooting my mp 15-22 over a 10/22 though. They feel completely different.