m&p 15-22 carbine 22lr

Shawn89

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's the differences between the "22" describe here and the 5.56?

If you have to ask questions like these, maybe you should research or not own firearms. From your initial question, to the further adition of you wanting a defensive weapon, to long distance, you sure changed your mind quite a bit. And if $900 is "a lot" for an AR15, you shouldn't play in the AR15 market. You need to make up your mind on what it is you're really looking for.

The only defense a .22 will provide, is if you deem necessary to quietly shoot someone in the back of the head.

The Israeli Mossad uses the Beretta model 70 and 71 in .22LR. Also The Navy's SEAL team uses the .22LR and not just for practice.

When you're as good as these two teams bullet size no longer matters..... It's all about placement.

http://Http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-weapons/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

When you're as good as these two teams bullet size no longer matters..... It's all about placement.

/[/url]

Unless of course your enemies are wearing good goggles, a soft vest, helmet, or they're behind glass.

The .223/5.56 is basically a .22lr (yes, it is) with 50% more mass and 2000 fps more. That doesn't mean it won't kill you form a long way away through a sheet of metal.

• 3 weeks later...
ok, so I now own a 10-22 and a 15-22 and I can say that both are great guns, but I had a blast shooting the 15-22 today. It's obviously not a defensive gun, but if you want to have all the toys of an AR but none of the huge cost for shooting, then this would be your gun. If you're looking for home defense, I would suggest getting yourself a nice semi-auto pistol and a safe to mount on your night stand in case an intruder comes in (or a 12ga if that would meet your needs better)

Because its a .22lr

Case and point. You want bullet mass and kenetic energy. Velocity isn't exactly the name of the game with a defensive weapon. Consider being hit by a rock vs. being hit with a sledge hammer. It's kinda like that, seeings how most shots taken in self defense will be hopefully a center mass aim point. (Being the largest part of the human body, also causing the most harm to the target.)

Josh, I'm still hunting and doing research for a new toy. What makes it a poor defensive weapon?

What Scott said... although, I'd imagine if you unloaded the entire magazine of 25 into someone, they will be just a big bloody spot on your walls and floor.

I will say though that it looks just like an AR-15 so you definately have the fear factor if someone sees you walking out of your bedroom with that thing. (especially if you trick it all out with a front tactical grip, a big scope, etc...)

I just have a better comfort with grabbing one of my larger firearms if I'm defending my family as opposed to grabbing a .22LR. Although I will admit, the accuracy seems pretty good on it, so if there are multiple attackers, it might actually be a better choice given my LCP has 6 rounds, my Ruger has 12, my 12ga 5, etc.... so I have 2-4x as many opportunities to put them down given that I have that much more ammo sitting in my magazine.

I agree.... people act like a 22LR is a bad idea for self defense, but my opinion is, you fire enough of them into a person, they will stop... hell, the normal home intruder that sees a firearm period is going to run for the hills when they see one pulled regardless of it's caliber....

With that being said, my home protection is not a 22LR but a 12ga... but I still don't get why everyone is down on a 22LR... if I need to save my life, I'm not firing one round into someone and stopping... I am unloading the entire mag and grabbing my backup mag right afterwards... and making sure the job is done right so that myself and my family is safe.

but back on topic about the 15/22... I have been contimplating for a while to get one to have fun plunking around since it is WAAAAAAAAY cheaper than 223 amo and I can use most of the same accessories as the AR15 for the "cool" effect. As a matter of fact, I might rent one next weekend at the range and see how I like it as well as maybe check out the 10/22 since I've heard alot of good things about them as well.

Wielding a small caliber rifle for self defense (in an enclosed environment) is not a great idea with no training. Yeah it CAN possibly work under the circumstances, but why would you want to throw a BB sized round at someone when you can use a scattergun? With a very untrained individual behind the .22LR, you are just asking to get your ass slapped around, hurt and potentially killed.

Granted most confrontations would probably end if an AR or variant there of was brought into the equation, but when you have multiple don't give a shit individuals in your house and you are trying to stop the threat with a 22LR, well you are just looking to get hurt.

I am not arguing the effectiveness of a 22LR round--it is proven effective when used correctly in the right hands but, I am arguing your logic. Why would you want to slap someone with a branch when you can throw a tree stump at them?

Edited by cinergi
added inside of home...

What Scott said... although, I'd imagine if you unloaded the entire magazine of 25 into someone, they will be just a big bloody spot on your walls and floor.

I will say though that it looks just like an AR-15 so you definately have the fear factor if someone sees you walking out of your bedroom with that thing. (especially if you trick it all out with a front tactical grip, a big scope, etc...)

I just have a better comfort with grabbing one of my larger firearms if I'm defending my family as opposed to grabbing a .22LR. Although I will admit, the accuracy seems pretty good on it, so if there are multiple attackers, it might actually be a better choice given my LCP has 6 rounds, my Ruger has 12, my 12ga 5, etc.... so I have 2-4x as many opportunities to put them down given that I have that much more ammo sitting in my magazine.

Is fear factor enough for you--Is FEAR going to save your life? Think of it like this, someone coming into your house is fairly desperate. Desperate measures should be planned for because the scenarios never go as planned. To bring a 22LR into a situation is just not prudent, especially if you HAVE a shotgun.

Is fear factor enough for you--Is FEAR going to save your life? Think of it like this, someone coming into your house is fairly desperate. Desperate measures should be planned for because the scenarios never go as planned. To bring a 22LR into a situation is just not prudent, especially if you HAVE a shotgun.

dude, I already said I would not use my 15-22 or my 10-22 for home defense...

There's a reason now the Army is training the "controlled pairs" technique when utilizing the M16/M4 family of weapons. Lord knows I have personally witnessed the ineffectiveness of 5.56mm to the center mass of individuals. You pump agressors full of drugs or in our case, adrenaline, you have your hands full at that moment. The Army has realized the lack of stopping power, yet continues to stick with the NATO cartridge. Granted the USMC and their infinate wisdom are recieving a newer 5.56mm (MK318 Mod 0)cartridge designed for rapid fragmentation and holding together through barriers. Bumping it up to a 62 grain round is a start, but I won't say a solution.

Greg/Others here's the scoop:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/02/marine_SOST_ammo_021510w/

Given a choice, I personally rely more on my 7.62mm crew serve over my rifle for the simple stopping power differences. I hold the same principles with my own defense. Where some believe 9mm is adequate, I don't feel comfortable. I won't doubt I will hear shot placement blah blah blah, but if you have ever been in situations, good luck in getting a head shot off Chuck Norris, IT DON'T HAPPEN.

PS- We have established Josh will never grab his .22's to shoot an agressor. :cool:

I killed a huge ground hog this weekend with the 15-22. I've seen him around before, but never bothered me so I've left him alone. Well Sat. morning I look out and he's digging right in the middle of the backyard about 30 yards off the porch. I hit him in the head with the first shot and he was done. Edited by Doug