Rifle choices

Forrest Gump 9

Hi guys

I've been looking at rifles for the last two weeks and still have not made up my mine yet. So I'm here again asking for suggestion.

AR15/M16/M4 are essential the same right? Why are such a vast price range $400-$1500+?

Sig Sauer, this is very much like a M16 right? again, why are they range from $500-$1500?

AK47, there are thousands variety of them, which is decent? and expected price?

Also, why do you prefer the AR15 flatform over the AK47 flatform, and vice versa? Thanks you for your time.

Go rent them at a range. Shoot them at the range. Base decision on what felt right to you, and you are happy with. Buy said rifle.

Your choices are quite different in their respect. Yes they are all magazine fed, gas operated, semi-automatic rifles based upon military issued rifles. As to your AR15/M16/M4 question: AR15 = Civilian Version of M16/M4 Family, M16 = Variants such as the M16A1/M16A2/M16A4 have been in service since the early 60's and feature a full length 20" barrel, carrying handle (M16A4 removable carrying handle), and a non-collapsable butt stock. Also the M16A1 was full auto, compared to the M16A2/M16A4 were only 3-round burst capable (aswell as semi-auto fire). M4 = Shortened version of the M16, based upon the Colt Commando which was issued during the Vietnam conflict, features a collapsable butt stock, and a 16" barrel. The M4 has 2 versions of it, M4A1 and the M4 Carbine. M4A1 = Full Auto M4 Carbine = 3 Round Burst.

The large differences in AR15's on the civilian market is basically the materials it is made of. You will pay more for MILSPEC AR15's for good reason, due to the wear and tear it will take. I won't go into specifics for I would need another 2 pages, but I have a few S&W M&P15's and love them to death. With anything AR15 related, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You buy cheap, and you will get cheap. Not to mention if you want to fire 5.56X45mm ammo or .223 civilian? It does matter for 5.56mm has a higher chamber pressure.

Sig Sauer's 556 rifle is not very much like an M16. And if you found one for $500, you found a trigger assembly and bolt only. Try closer to $1,500.

AK47 go Arsenal, or Saiga (if you find one) - They are the real deal AK's that will be around longer than you will. $850+ for a quality AK.

AR15's are now accepted throughout the US now. There is a craze for these rifles now thanks to the Commander in Chief. One big reason is, it's America's rifle. Another reason is people like me who are in the military, or have been, it's very familiar. I know an M4/AR15 like the back of my hand. I guess the all to stupid reason people buy AR15's is for the cool factor. You can go hog wild on an AR15, get all the high speed goodies you want, and be the envy of your friends.

Again, I say go to Blackwing or New Albany, rent these weapons, shoot em, and then base a decision on them.

Man the gun forum has been getting some genius posters lately.

I agree man, you're going to need to rent and decide. Or, you could just get a sweet $400+ .22 ar. I like my ar15s because they're all black, and they match with my ninja outfit... although sometimes it's hard to carry my bowstaff and rifle at the same time.

Go rent them at a range. Shoot them at the range. Base decision on what felt right to you, and you are happy with. Buy said rifle.

Your choices are quite different in their respect. Yes they are all magazine fed, gas operated, semi-automatic rifles based upon military issued rifles. As to your AR15/M16/M4 question: AR15 = Civilian Version of M16/M4 Family, M16 = Variants such as the M16A1/M16A2/M16A4 have been in service since the early 60's and feature a full length 20" barrel, carrying handle (M16A4 removable carrying handle), and a non-collapsable butt stock. Also the M16A1 was full auto, compared to the M16A2/M16A4 were only 3-round burst capable (aswell as semi-auto fire). M4 = Shortened version of the M16, based upon the Colt Commando which was issued during the Vietnam conflict, features a collapsable butt stock, and a 16" barrel. The M4 has 2 versions of it, M4A1 and the M4 Carbine. M4A1 = Full Auto M4 Carbine = 3 Round Burst.

The large differences in AR15's on the civilian market is basically the materials it is made of. You will pay more for MILSPEC AR15's for good reason, due to the wear and tear it will take. I won't go into specifics for I would need another 2 pages, but I have a few S&W M&P15's and love them to death. With anything AR15 related, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You buy cheap, and you will get cheap. Not to mention if you want to fire 5.56X45mm ammo or .223 civilian? It does matter for 5.56mm has a higher chamber pressure.

Sig Sauer's 556 rifle is not very much like an M16. And if you found one for $500, you found a trigger assembly and bolt only. Try closer to $1,500.

AK47 go Arsenal, or Saiga (if you find one) - They are the real deal AK's that will be around longer than you will. $850+ for a quality AK.

AR15's are now accepted throughout the US now. There is a craze for these rifles now thanks to the Commander in Chief. One big reason is, it's America's rifle. Another reason is people like me who are in the military, or have been, it's very familiar. I know an M4/AR15 like the back of my hand. I guess the all to stupid reason people buy AR15's is for the cool factor. You can go hog wild on an AR15, get all the high speed goodies you want, and be the envy of your friends.

Again, I say go to Blackwing or New Albany, rent these weapons, shoot em, and then base a decision on them.

Thanks you sir!!

And I did not know that you can go rent the weapons and test them out. I'll do that.

I guess the other portion of this I forgot to add, was making sure that you are somewhat familiar with these weapons and how they operate. Lately it seems everyone thinks it's cool to buy an AR15, just because. Yet, I would say over 60% don't know how to properly operate these rifles, let alone tear down, and last clear a malfunction. A little homework and some initial dry training will help in this.

I guess the other portion of this I forgot to add, was making sure that you are somewhat familiar with these weapons and how they operate. Lately it seems everyone thinks it's cool to buy an AR15, just because. Yet, I would say over 60% don't know how to properly operate these rifles, let alone tear down, and last clear a malfunction. A little homework and some initial dry training will help in this.

Thanks for the suggestions and advices. I'm very familiar with the M16 rifle. But that the only one I knew of and used before. I think I'll stick to one of those.