A/C and cooling fan question

BlackMess

In the process of adding A/C to the FD. I am running a 3" aluminum HOWE radiator with 2 10" jeg fans zip tied on the front. I am going to call HOWE and see if I can get a shroud for the 2 fans. My question is will 2 10" single speed shrouded puller fans be enough to keep it cool with the condenser mounted in front or do I still need to run a pusher on the condenser?? Also I've noticed cars have rubber isolaters mounted between the frame rails and the radiator itself. Is it possible for the frame rails to flex enough and potentially put enough stress on the radiator to crack it if no isolaters are used??

Guest Removed

the thing your going to have to worry about with running a/c is head pressure. head pressure gets real high if there is not enough air flow going across the condenser.

most oem condensers are sealed to the radiator and the fans are mounted behind the radiator drawing air thru both. some have helper fans in front on the condenser to boost air flow at low speed's. IMO, put the fans to the rear . go bigger if you can. the shroud is a great idea aswell. most fans need to be 1/2 to 3/4 away from the from the radiator surface, mounted to the shroud, so that way the fan is drawing air across the full surface of the radiator, instead of the right where the fan is mounted. most fans only pull good air off one side. you could seal the condenser to the radiator, and have the 2 puller fans pulling thru a shroud, and have a helper fan on the front for when the a/c come on. another thing that would greatly help air flow is a air dam mounted just off the bottom of the radiator and condenser. helping take air away from the bottom of the car, and forcing it up in front of the condenser/radiator.

hope this helps. i have put alot of a/c systems in quite a few cars in my day.lol

I Also I've noticed cars have rubber isolaters mounted between the frame rails and the radiator itself. Is it possible for the frame rails to flex enough and potentially put enough stress on the radiator to crack it if no isolaters are used??

Yes, possible - more likely the constant vibration will cause cracks.

As to the fans - Gearhead is right on - pullers with shrouds are your friend, and an air dam forcing air up from below is a great option. Also, be sure the radiator is sealed to the panel it's mounted in - air will find the past of least resistance.

Well I called howe and they are making me a shroud. It simply amazes me that people mount fans on radiators with those shitty ass zip ties that go through the core and bends the fins all up, amazing how stupid/lazy people are. As far sealing the radiator to the panel its mounted in still has me confused??

As far sealing the radiator to the panel its mounted in still has me confused??

The radiator (typically) mounts in the "header panel" a sheet meatal bulkhead at the front ot the car. If there are gaps around the outside of the radiator (custom install) that allow air to leak around the sides/top/bottom, it can cause some problems. As long as the radiator is a pretty good fit it should not be an issue.

I only mentioned this as I have seen radiators that had 1"-2" gaps all around them and wouldn't cool well. The air would fine the least restirctive path and "bleed" around the radiator rather than going through it. Since I haven't seen your car, I just threw it out as a possibility.

Guest Removed
"core support" holds radiator and condenser. "Header Panel" holds headlights and grills.

the radiator in these seem to get self tapped to the frame rails... theres not much of a core support or header panel in these