Driving Impressions: 2010 GT500 & 2010 CTS-V

Mallard

Today I got the opportunity to hoon both of these cars for a short time. My time was limited and I couldn't do anything TOO extreme since the tires needed to be preserved.

First up was the CTS-V. I have obviously been impressed with the base CTS since it came out, and the numbers the V puts down are even more impressive. When this car pulled up I expected to be wowed, and I generally was. This car was an auto, and I think the manual would be quite a different experience.

The main words that I can use to describe this car are smooth and refined. The power delivery is very smooth. It's obvious this car has a lot of torque and a very flat curve too. It feels like it continues to accelerate at a constant rate until you take your foot off the gas. For a 556 HP car the engine, exhaust, and interior noise level were very refined (read:quiet). But it's a Caddy, it's not supposed to be a raw sports car.

Playing with the adaptive damping button there is an obvious difference between modes. The ride can be stiff, but not too harsh. The brakes are amazing and handling is impressive. The tires obviously have loads of grip available.

The seats and interior quality are some of the best I've ever experienced 1st hand. I wish more seats were like the V. My only nit-pick is I could see the tear seam in the dash for the passenger airbag.

Overall the V is an awesome car. However, I know it's fast, but this car does not feel 556 HP fast. Maybe it was the auto, or maybe it was the weight. Either way, this car has a lot of content, amazing handling, great seats, and giant brakes. This is a sports car you could drive everyday on any road and not hate life. The experience would be even better if your daily commute involved some twisties.

Next up was the GT500.

Let me start this by saying that I am not a Mustang person. I've been in several previous generation models and was disappointed. I never liked the interior much and they have the image of a high school cheerleader's car. I've read much about the new models and have been curious to get behind the wheel, and today I was lucky enough to do so.

WOW.

No, really. The new GT500 genuinely surprised the hell out of me. It's definitely a more raw sports car than the V, with more supercharger whine, louder exhaust, and a lower seating position. The suspension feels softer in the GT500 (compared to the V), and that may add to the feeling that you're accelerating harder. When you get on the go-pedal the rear of the car hunkers down (or the front raises up) and feels planted. Under braking there is more dive too, but the brakes are very good too. The Brembo brakes to an excellent job of slowing the car down and ESC hits feel very smooth.

The first time I launched the car I thought I missed the 1-2 shift, but to my surprise I was actually in second. The GT500 has an incredibly short throw and it feels very direct. It took a little getting used to after driving a few "other" cars, but I love it. It felt faster than the V in a straight line, but I'm unsure if that's the lower weight or the louder noises. Either way, it's pretty apparent the GT500 is dragging less weight around.

The seats were not the body hugging Recaro's of the V, but they were still very good. I didn't feel like I was ever holding on to the wheel for support or bracing my knee on the door. The dash was improved over the older cars I was in, and I thought it was cool that the SVT logo lights up red after you cross ~3000 RPM.

Overall I came away very impressed with the Mustang, and Ford may have changed my mind about this car. With the 2011 getting even lighter, and the 5.0L GT on the way it seems like Ford has genuine car enthusiasts working for them. They're going to have one of the strongest product line ups on the market, and they definitely just won over one potential new customer.

Overall I came away very impressed with the Mustang, and Ford may have changed my mind about this car. With the 2011 getting even lighter, and the 5.0L GT on the way it seems like Ford has genuine car enthusiasts working for them. They're going to have one of the strongest product line ups on the market, and they definitely just won over one potential new customer.

I'm really glad ford is stepping its game up. I love the mustang, but alot of the older ones were big disappointments compared to alot of other cars on the road. When it comes time for me to buy my next car in the next few years, the 2011 is going to get a TON of consideration from me.

As for the GT500, i know alot of 03-04 Cobra owners weren't very impressed with it (before this one i guess). Many people in general thought it could have been alot better. I'm glad to hear ford has gotten it on the right track as well.

CTS-V coupe due out soon too.

Yup, there was one parked in front of our building the other week.

I have a friend that works at Car and Driver and he said the automatic V feels lazy and the manual is incredible, which confirms my suspicions.

The '07-'09 gen GT500 definitely has it's flaws, but IMO it's the better looking of the newer models.

It's very heavy, for one, and it handles like it. The suspension is a nightmare, stock. Of course, the 2011 is a vast improvement over my body style in handling, horsepower, etc. However, I absolutely LOVE it. I love the torque and the modification capabilities of the car - the block is more than capable of handling 700 conservatively.

Honestly my expectations of what an interior should be aren't that high. I have all the essentials - power windows, seats, cruise control, etc., and in navigation I think is great, too.

So overall, I think they did a great job on the GT500's. Is it a Cadillac? No. Was it meant to be one?... No.

The '07-'09 gen GT500 definitely has it's flaws, but IMO it's the better looking of the newer models.

It's very heavy, for one, and it handles like it. The suspension is a nightmare, stock. Of course, the 2011 is a vast improvement over my body style in handling, horsepower, etc. However, I absolutely LOVE it. I love the torque and the modification capabilities of the car - the block is more than capable of handling 700 conservatively.

Honestly my expectations of what an interior should be aren't that high. I have all the essentials - power windows, seats, cruise control, etc., and in navigation I think is great, too.

So overall, I think they did a great job on the GT500's. Is it a Cadillac? No. Was it meant to be one?... No.

Appearance is just all opinions. I personally like the 2011 better:D.

But i'm glad to hear a GT500 owner say they like it. Most of what i've ever heard is about how heavy it is and how terrible it handles and stuff.

I agree about interior. It doesn't have to have leather and heated seats and all that stuff to please me. Just give me power everything and a decent sound system and i'm good to go.

Like i said, i'm glad to hear from a fan of the 07-09.

I hate to say it but I'd rather have your Audi than a ctsv they just army in the same class IMO

In most regards, you are correct, but I could live with some GM craptastic points, in trade for an easy driving, 600hp+ awd 6 speed sedan as a daily.

Thankfully, they don't make one...:D

I will admit though, fords offerings are becoming more and more tempting. I can't wait to see what bolts on do for the new 5.0. :cool: As cheap as they are, it could really be a hit.

I agree about interior. It doesn't have to have leather and heated seats and all that stuff to please me. Just give me power everything and a decent sound system and i'm good to go.

It had 2 subs in the trunk and it looked to be a pretty powerful system.

I will own a new 5.0 but I'll never buy the first yr of any model. Unless I can afford a new s class or some bad ass Audi

Again not in the same class but I really do what a large luxury car to get blown in

+1 For avoid first year of anything...

The Facelift 06+ A8L has come down enormously....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=275741651

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=277783351

Also the 2003+ E55 AMG is also a nice choice if you are not hellbent on AWD like I am. They can also be made stupid fast for not a whole hell of a lot of money. Part of me always wanted to pick one of those up...

:)

Nicely written. That CTS-V is a hell of a car. May have to buy one in a few years. Nice lower mile one with boatloads of savings would be great win.

BTW....I hate you for your job :asshole: Bastard :bangbang:

Nicely written. That CTS-V is a hell of a car. May have to buy one in a few years. Nice lower mile one with boatloads of savings would be great win.

BTW....I hate you for your job :asshole: Bastard :bangbang:

I didn't even tell you about the rest of my day :p

Next week I'll get to drive a 2010 Mustang GT Manual and a 2010 Camaro V6 Auto for comparison. I wish I could take a spin in the 2011 GT, but they don't have one yet.

My job has its ups and downs. I love what I do, but I'm away from home 12-20 weeks per year.