Spool on the street?

Last_in

Guest Removed
I'm going with moser axles.

Here is what the rear is going to consist of:

1995+ Explorer 8.8 31 spline (95+ so I have disc)

Moser 31 spline axles

Moser Gears(will decide final ratio when I get everything else set in stone)

Detroit Locker 8.8 31 Spline

Keeping the c-clips

I was just seeing how bad a spool would really be. That's about a $500 difference from going from a spool to a decent locker.

well, ditch the c clips...the 9" axle housing ends can be put on the ends, and moser sells them to work with stock style ford brakes. this way you dont have to deal with eliminators leaking, and the 9" bearings hold up to a beating better..and you can run a 33 spline axle, and not worry about 31's breaking. but your limited on diffs and that point with 33's in the 8.8.

well, ditch the c clips...the 9" axle housing ends can be put on the ends, and moser sells them to work with stock style ford brakes. this way you dont have to deal with eliminators leaking, and the 9" bearings hold up to a beating better..and you can run a 33 spline axle, and not worry about 31's breaking. but your limited on diffs and that point with 33's in the 8.8.

I'll be getting in contact with you later this year to go over what I'm ordering. How much would you charge do the welding/fab work to put the 9" ends on it? I'm not going to hold you to your quote either, I know it's just a quote and you could run into something unexpected.

Guest Removed
well, using a exploder rearend is bad and good..the exploder had 3 1/2 " axle tubes., but a better center housing. the standard size for these are under 3". where the 9" is 3"

well, using a exploder rearend is bad and good..the exploder had 3 1/2 " axle tubes., but a better center housing. the standard size for these are under 3". where the 9" is 3"

I can't win. It's awhile from now anyways.

So true on the c-clip eliminators. I ran them on the street/strip in a 10 bolt rear for a few years and fought the leak the entire time. I put all kinds of money in that 10 bolt before someone talked me into building a 9" Ford. In fact, I could have built a 9" in the first place for about the same money. Live, spend, and learn. If I were in your shoes, I'd save up and build a bulletproof 9" and forget about it.

Guest Removed
So true on the c-clip eliminators. I ran them on the street/strip in a 10 bolt rear for a few years and fought the leak the entire time. I put all kinds of money in that 10 bolt before someone talked me into building a 9" Ford. In fact, I could have built a 9" in the first place for about the same money. Live, spend, and learn. If I were in your shoes, I'd save up and build a bulletproof 9" and forget about it.

on the 10 bolts, and 8.8's, there is a trick to keep them from leaking.;)

napa sells seals..(on either one, the number varies) that you install in the housing, and it keep the fluid away from the eliminators, and keep them from leaking.

on the 10 bolts, and 8.8's, there is a trick to keep them from leaking.;)

napa sells seals..(on either one, the number varies) that you install in the housing, and it keep the fluid away from the eliminators, and keep them from leaking.

:o Could have used a set of those for sure!

That said, 9" > my old ten bolt not leaking

Moser 12 bolt 33 spline custom alloy axles....$345

Longer studs...........................................$17.50

C Clip Eliminators......................................$150.00

12 bolt Detroit True Trac............................$595

Set up kit.................................................$70

Shipping...................................................$69.92

Total........................................................$1247.42

Already have the gear...

Guest Removed
Moser 12 bolt 33 spline custom alloy axles....$345

Longer studs...........................................$17.50

C Clip Eliminators......................................$150.00

12 bolt Detroit True Trac............................$595

Set up kit.................................................$70

Shipping...................................................$69.92

Total........................................................$1247.42

Already have the gear...

i could have got you a better deal on all that :(

Guest Removed
If your not making big horsepower then I would not worry about a spool. We have ran both on the street in several different cars and spool only makes sense if your making big power. The new lockers can take some pretty good abuse.

at a pretty penny of a price too!