Spool on the street?

Last_in

I know a spool on the street is not recommended but does anyone have experience with one on the street? It will be hard on the rear components for sure, maybe snap an axle. This is by no means a daily driver, more like a weekend warrior.

I have been seeing mixed reviews, some guys say it's the dumbest idea ever others are saying they drive it on the street with no problem.

By the way, I'm asking this because I decided against the 8 3/4 rear and am getting an Explorer 8.8. The stock rear I have now is 65" and the Explorer 8.8 is about 60" so this is perfect for my application, plus the price is much better and parts are plentiful.

Do not do it. I ran a spool in my S10 for several Summers. You will hate life every time you are driving through a parking lot and having everyone watching the back of your ride hop around a corner while chirping/barking/squealing. They're just not worth the $ savings. If your main objective is budget, maybe.

I ran one on the street for three or four years. When I turned sharp and parked the car it would leave the chassis in a bind which would make one side of the rear end higher than the other. I lived with the chirping and binding, but for the street the posi-locker-limited slip is much better.

If the car sees very little street duty and more track, go spool.

• Confused 1

If the car sees very little street duty and more track, go spool.

This is pretty much it, it has manual steering as well. Basically a bare bones truck. I will drive it to work and dinner occasionally.

I see why it's not as much fun on the street as a locker but I think I will try it out first to see how bad it really is. I just don't want parts to fail because of it but it seems if I'm responsible with it, I shouldn't have a problem. Plus it's not like I'm out much money.

spool can be street driven cafefully on small tires...any more then 11-12 " wide, and it become a PITA to turn

Yeah, I am going to run crappy regular street tires and over inflate them a little bit so I lose traction easier. Or is this a bad idea?

spool can be street driven cafefully on small tires...any more then 11-12 " wide, and it become a PITA to turn

Tire material more so than width. On my 18.5 MT's, I had very little problems, but most of the time, running the Quicktime 16.5's, it was Hell. Rock hard tires slide around pretty easily. Stickies suck and suck bad.

Pat, every reply in this thread - from people who have actually ran spools - are telling you to avoid them. Sounds like you already had your mind made up? :)

BTW, I snapped a passenger side axle while running the spool. Coincidence? Maybe.

Pat, every reply in this thread - from people who have actually ran spools - are telling you to avoid them. Sounds like you already had your mind made up? :)

BTW, I snapped a passenger side axle while running the spool. Coincidence? Maybe.

No my mind still isn't made up. I know it would be an undesirable ride but I'm more worried about components breaking due to the spool, which you just posted up. That makes me want to go with a locker a little bit more now. Most people posted up how the ride sucks, not breaking any parts.

From Auburn's own site (where they are selling their spools):

"Full Auburn Gear spools are made from 4140 steel forging that is heat-treated and precision machined in the USA. Spools are strictly for drag-strip straight line racing use. They are not street legal, so do not use a spool if the vehicle is street driven as it could cause broken axle shafts and other problems."

More reading (with both sides of the coin):

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-113679.html

Guest Removed
No my mind still isn't made up. I know it would be an undesirable ride but I'm more worried about components breaking due to the spool, which you just posted up. That makes me want to go with a locker a little bit more now. Most people posted up how the ride sucks, not breaking any parts.

then do a locker....dont cheap out now, and cost you more in the end

Funny, I've rode in and driven Mario's Camaro on the street, which is far faster than anything in this thread, and it isn't bad with a spool at all. :) Full interior street car.

Good for you. Now, try it all Summer long for multiple years, and then come back. BTW, was he running wrinkle-wall street slicks?

:)

A spool is a spool is a spool. It makes zero difference how fast the car is. I've had full spools, mini spools, welded spiders, auburn conical units, Detroit lockers, Ford units, GM units, and open carriers.

Can you run a spool and deal with it? Yep. Are there FAR better options? Absolutely. Spools are rougher on parts, and it doesn't sound like the OP is going to invest cash for top quality axles and bearings.

:) <=== extra smiley to show pot stirring in fun, beer is good, and it's a pretty day.

But, I concede that people run them and some have no issues at all.

I have run a spool for 5 years. It eats tires. Other than that it's not that big of a deal. I went with the spool when the posi's and lockers were not holding up. I dont know if there is a decent 'high" HP option for the 9" with the higher (35-40) spline axles?

run a spool for strength NOT money

Good for you. Now, try it all Summer long for multiple years, and then come back. BTW, was he running wrinkle-wall street slicks?

:)

He's had it that way for years. Running ET Streets and ET Drag Radials. Not anything even close to a daily driver, but the car does get run on then street.

Guest Removed
I have run a spool for 5 years. It eats tires. Other than that it's not that big of a deal. I went with the spool when the posi's and lockers were not holding up. I dont know if there is a decent 'high" HP option for the 9" with the higher (35-40) spline axles?

run a spool for strength NOT money

moser sell's a nice wavetrac they warranty for life. they have been beating on it with a 1200hp f body, on the track and on the street. so far, its been a top seller...just hard to get past the list price of 999.99 for a posi. but you can get it in 35 spline.(9" 35, or 33 in a 12 bolt)

Spools are rougher on parts, and it doesn't sound like the OP is going to invest cash for top quality axles and bearings.

I'm going with moser axles.

Here is what the rear is going to consist of:

1995+ Explorer 8.8 31 spline (95+ so I have disc)

Moser 31 spline axles

Moser Gears(will decide final ratio when I get everything else set in stone)

Detroit Locker 8.8 31 Spline

Keeping the c-clips

I was just seeing how bad a spool would really be. That's about a $500 difference from going from a spool to a decent locker.