Thanks IPS!

Mr. Jones

Finally decided on a South Bend clutch for the daily, and started shopping around. Amazingly, IPS beat any vendor, online or otherwise, period. No waiting for the UPS guy, and hoping I'm there, just walked in the shop and picked it up at my convenience!

Thanks Guys!

Let the fun begin! :bangbang:

which one did you end up getting / paying for it? I'm debating on whether or not to get one soon. But now I know where to go for it!

SB is in process of changing all of their naming/product lines, so tread with caution.

I got the Stage 4 SS/OFE, it has the sachs racing pressure plate which is a 50%+ increase in pedal effort. But it should hold anything I would ever do with the car and then some, while having nice street manners. This also includes the heavy 19lb steel flywheel. I personally hate the stupid LWFW nonsense, but did not want to go back to the stock DMFW either. It's one of the main reasons I went with SB, as they have nice options on this department.

I believe it is now, or will shortly be called their "Stage 3 Endurance" :confused:

As far as price goes, talk to Brandon when you are ready, you won't be disappointed. :cool:

at what point do you have to get away from the stock fw and go with a steel or lwfw?

You don't technically "have to" at any point, but it is a wear item, and a few of them have come apart at higher mileage, and caused quite the catastrophe. I don't like my flywheel having an array of springs and rubber components anyway.

At 85K miles, I'm not taking the chance, especially as I plan to incrementally pull a few more ponies out of the car, and it's my DD. :)

PS: A new OEM DMFW is $600-$750, I'd rather invest in a nice after HD solid flywheel then one with potential issues anway. :D

at what point do you have to get away from the stock fw and go with a steel or lwfw?

I upgraded my B5 A4 to a single mass steel flywheel and LOVE it over the suck dual mass from the factory. It is not so much lighter that the car has any bad driving characteristics, just a little better throttle response, and much less inertia on the clutch.

We are i think the 1 dealer of SB clutches in the mid west, so we should be able to help you out.

Also Shawn, good to see you again, and thanks for choosing our services.

I just have noticed that on higher hp clutches some say that the oem won't work. That's mostly what line I was wondering about.

Sorry for bringing back a slightly old thread

The dual mass flywheels retain to much inertia at high output and are brutal on clutches, and they suck up a good deal of power.

SB is in process of changing all of their naming/product lines, so tread with caution.

I got the Stage 4 SS/OFE, it has the sachs racing pressure plate which is a 50%+ increase in pedal effort. But it should hold anything I would ever do with the car and then some, while having nice street manners. This also includes the heavy 19lb steel flywheel. I personally hate the stupid LWFW nonsense, but did not want to go back to the stock DMFW either. It's one of the main reasons I went with SB, as they have nice options on this department.

I believe it is now, or will shortly be called their "Stage 3 Endurance" :confused:

As far as price goes, talk to Brandon when you are ready, you won't be disappointed. :cool:

I love my Stage 4 Southbend ;)

• 3 weeks later...

my buddy got a south bend for his mk 5 gti, ditched the dual mass. its a stage 4.

melted the clutch on the third pass at la rue a few weeks ago. Literally the flywheel side compound (its different than the pressure plate side) melted to the flywheel, locking him into gear. he called southbend, they seemed to know this happens immediatly as soon as he started talking about what happened. told him to machine the flywheel (to clean the material off) and put it back together. He put it back together last week and hasnt been back to the track yet to test it out.

has anyone else seen this happen?