Top Gear US Spec?

HAOLE

Hmmmmmm.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8634791.stm

BBC NEWS

Top Gear to have spin-off in US

Popular BBC Two motoring show Top Gear is to be remade in the US this autumn, with a new trio of male presenters.

Comedian Adam Ferrara, racing analyst Rutledge Wood and stunt driver Tanner Foust will host the show, which will air on the History Channel.

The channel, part of the A&E network, has commissioned 10 episodes from BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial arm.

BBC Worldwide's Jane Tranter said the US programme would be both similar and different to its UK counterpart.

"Top Gear has been one of the BBC's most successful formats globally and we are delighted to be partnering with History on a version for the US," she said.

"Together we have worked to tailor the format for the American audience, while staying true to the original dynamic that fans across the world have come to love."

It is not known whether there will be any crossover with the UK programme, which is shown on BBC America in the US.

Nor is it known whether "tame racing driver" The Stig will have any part to play in the US version.

Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond have co-hosted the UK show since its 2002 relaunch.

Top Gear is BBC Two's most popular programme and was the most watched programme last year on BBC iPlayer.

A US version had been planned once before, in 2008-9, to be shown on major network NBC.

Chat show host Jay Leno had been approached to host, but said he was worried the show's would be "impossible to recreate" in America.

"I don't think you could be quite as freewheeling with your opinions as you can on the BBC, because sponsors pay for the programmes," he wrote in The Times.

"If Kia was our sponsor this week, we'd have to say the car was fantastic."

Although some segments were filmed with hosts Adam Carolla, Tanner Foust and Eric Stromer, the series never made it to air.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/8634791.stm

Published: 2010/04/21 13:40:43 GMT

Just won't work.

I don't understand the need to try and re-create what everyone is already enjoying here. To date, "americanizing" something traditionally lends it to being a retarded, watered down version of what was once great.

The only exception to this is The Office, which in it's American form, is far funnier IMO..

Just won't work.

I don't understand the need to try and re-create what everyone is already enjoying here. To date, "americanizing" something traditionally lends it to being a retarded, watered down version of what was once great.

The only exception to this is The Office, which in it's American form, is far funnier IMO..

truth

The only thing we have over here that is semi comparable to top gear is supercars exposed.

Im just so pissed insight trys to make me pay extra for BBC! So i dont get to see the awesomeness that is top gear.

You have the internet? You have Top Gear.

The only thing we have over here that is semi comparable to top gear is supercars exposed.

Im just so pissed insight trys to make me pay extra for BBC! So i dont get to see the awesomeness that is top gear.

Don't watch it on BBC America, its fucking terrible, and they cut segements up and remove others, like the news, which is the funniest part of a lot of episodes.

FinalGear.com or GTFO.

Negatory Ghostrider

Really... You won't watch it? I'm not a huge fan of Fifth Gear compared to Top Gear, but it's a car show with car info. It fills a space. I'm going to at least watch the first few and see if it's tolerable. I don't believe they'd go through this much trouble finally putting it together for it to completely suck, however, that's obviously no guarantee.

Oh, and I still bet you'll at least watch one. ;) You don't know if you're gay or straight unless you ask yourself the right question. lol