trans fluid in the braking system?

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

guy i work with just bought a rodeo and found out instead of brake fluid, it has transmission fluid in it....

he took it to monroe to ask them to diagnose why his caliper is locking up, and they said it was the fluid

they wanted $1200 to replace the master cylinder, all the brake lines, and the calipers.

is this necessary? would trans fluid harm any of that stuff? i know brake fluid is more harsh than trans fluid so it didnt make sense...

could he flush all the trans fluid out and replace the caliper and be good to go?

Previous owner could have dumped trans fluid into the brake reservoir to seal a leaking master cylinder. It works because of the aforementioned rubber swelling. I've heard of people dumping oil into a clutch fluid reservoir to get through a race weekend... swells the seals enough to make the system work again briefly.

Guest tbutera2112

ok so we started bleeding it was clear... so they just topped it off with the trans shit

bled out all the lines, replaced the master, and replaced the little unit that the lines go into from the MC that divide between front and back

thanks

ok so we started bleeding it was clear... so they just topped it off with the trans shit

bled out all the lines, replaced the master, and replaced the little unit that the lines go into from the MC that divide between front and back

thanks

you should replace any rubber line there is also or you will be fixing thieseproblems again and again down the road...