Flooding problems on 95 zx6-R

luvkawzx6-R

Hello all---I recently bought a 1995 kawasaki zx6-R. Bike ran great until last week. Seems like carbs are flooding out after a few minutes of running. If I turn fuel off it will run great until runs out of fuel in the carbs. I'm not sure if i have maybe a bad fuel pump or relay. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! First nice day i'd like to be able to hit the road.

I think it is the o-rings on your 1 and 2 float valves. The float valve is a brass fitting, held in place by 1 screw, that your float needle seats against. It has an o-ring that seals it to the carb body and when this o-ring leaks gas keeps draining from your carb overflow. I have had these leak on several bikes thinking it was the float needle and turned out to be the o-ring. You should change all 4 while you are at it.

Good Luck

if you were in columbus id come over there and give you a hand with them.

carbs are not a mystical device. once you get into them they are actually pretty simple. it will run again if you go slowly. take your time and be patient. only take one apart at a time. that way you can refer to another one if you cant remember how something goes.

the O-ring thing like phugivtive said is a possibility. another common problem is that you take the tank off, then when reconnecting the fuel line, you shear a piece of rubber off. ive had some bikes that the edge of the petcock was like a scalpel. that piece of rubber gets in your line and makes its way to the carb and jams the valve open.

the fix is actually pretty simple. take the carbs off and drain them. open them up one by one, take out the float, and the valve and seat. dont bend anything. especially the little metal tang on the float that controls the needle.

clean them, make sure they are not obstructed. take some carb cleaner and backflush the line. do it over a piece of paper and you can see what comes out.

put everything back together, check the float level (although it should not have changed if you didnt bend anything)

put a fuel filter in line and it should be good to go... you said it ran fine, so you shouldnt really have to fuck with the jets or anything.

about putting in a jet kit... they arent a bolt on piece really... i mean they only screw in, but there are TONS of different sizes, and combinations. it requires tuning to get it to run perfectly at all RPM/throttle openings... you cant really just slap em in and have it be perfect.

Correcting a technicality...Some carbed bikes do have fuel pumps.

Really?, never saw one.. got any links to microfiche? How about a make and model.

I just dont understand the concept to be honest. If it has a fuel pump, then it should be pumping gas into the injectors for atomization and not to a carb for atomization.

Really?, never saw one.. got any links to microfiche? How about a make and model.

I just dont understand the concept to be honest. If it has a fuel pump, then it should be pumping gas into the injectors for atomization and not to a carb for atomization.

93-02 ZX-6R

05-08 ZZR600

ZX11's I'm not sure of year range...

1996 ZX11 fuel pump fiche

Those I know for sure, beyond that I'd have to do more research however.

My old FZR has a fuel pump, Carb'd vehicles with fuel pumps only have maybe 7psi of pressure to keep things supplied when gravity and pressure differentials arent there.

i had this happen on my 72 honda the floats ended up getting a tiny hole in them and filled with fuel and were no longer shutting the fuel off when the bowl was full.

i ended up taking the bowl off the bike without taking the carbs off swapping the floats and then i was good as new.

until in the process one of the 30 year old gaskets that i did not know was there turned to jelly and caused the bike to drop power at high rpm. so i had to find the gasket and get a new one.

long story short get some new floats and a new gasket set. then start to fix them. took me a 2 hours to do the work and 2 weeks waiting for parts. total cost 30 bucks

Thanks everyone.I pretty sure your all right, it definetly a carb issue. I do have a fuel pump though, it looks identical to the fiche dustinsn3485 posted. I thought maybe pump was still pumping even though carb bowls were full, but now that i look at it more closer only carbs 1 and 2 are flooding out. Time for a rebuild... Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I know your question has been answered but I just wanted to give you a heads up on a certain issue. I also have a 95 zx6r and in cold weather it doesn't like to start so I have to crank it numerous times; but because the fuel pump stays on it likes to flood. So if your ever having trouble starting your bike, remember to turn it off after every 3 tries or so. You may have known this already, but I'm just trying share some model specific knowledge.

And I can back up dustinsn3485's claim 100% that 95 ZX6Rs have fuel pumps. As annoying as they may be they definitely are nice to have from a performance stand point. Although technically dustin, the ZX6R came out in 95, the 93-94s were just ZX6 (no R, model name ZX600E); though they look remarkably similar.