Issue with 02 2.5 Nissan Altima engine.

Stampede

I'm getting a very strange, and I mean strange, never heard before noise coming from the top end by the cams. It's a cross between a rattling, clicking, fluttering, and a early 90's diesel noise. It Doesn't do it all the time, it doesn't most after a good 15 mins or so, but when you drive it hard it's fine. I'm thinking it's the cam phaser, but I have never heard one going bad.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Do these have a timing chain? If so, the guides or tensioners may be worn and need replaced.. but that wouldn't explain why it goes away after driving it hard. It's hard to diagnose without hearing it personally. If it does it immediately on a startup and gradually goes away, it could be an oil pressure issue in the head.. possibly sludging? I'm just stabbing in the dark here :confused:

Guest Removed
Gearhead, I'll pull the smaller cover off, and inspect the guide. If that's not it, how much will you charge me, if I stop by for you to listen to the noise?

Thanks.

there is no small cover, otheer then the valve cover..

the timing chain side is one piece all the way down to th oil pan.

Guest Removed

wow they must have changed them up

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/97423845.gif

either 7 or 20 is broke.. or the tensioner could not be pumping up doe to sludge... etc and so on.

• 4 weeks later...

You could pull the lower intake manifold off and see if you lost any of the screws that hold the butterfly valves on for the secondaries. There are 2 small screws for each of the 4 butterfly valves and they where known for backing out, even come out all the way at times and go int the engine. Nissan did not put loc-tite on them from the factory until about 04-05.

Pull each spark plug and look for damage, aslo look in the cylinder for any damage.

These engines also had problems with pre-cat failure. Is any noise coming from the exaust manifold maybe?