School me on SVT Focus

Why am I looking at this car? Because I want an NA standard transmission 4 banger coupe with decent gas mileage under $7000, preferrably under $6000. And I want a bit more than 150 hp. Not looking to track this thing (yet), just something reliable while I build some savings.

Must haves:

Clean carfax

under 100k miles, fewer than 80k would be nice

reliable for daily use

will I find this in an SVT focus? If not, where else should I look?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say yeah, they have a few minor quirks as they get up in mileage but overall they are pretty reliable cars, and extremely fun to drive.

I've owned quite a few focus's, and currently own a 2003 zx5 for my daily, here's a faily local SVT for sale on a focus forum i am part of. Not sure if you can see them without being a member though...

2002 Black SVT ZX3 - 40k miles, in Akron...$4500obo..Clean title.

http://forums.focaljet.com/vehicles-sale/626600-sale-02-black-svt.html

Over the winter there were a handful in that price range or lower, with 60-100k miles, but they all went fast.

Keep your eyes peeled, check Autotrader as well, I almost went to Harrisburg, PA last fall before buying my current focus for a SVT that was $6000 and had 71k miles on it.

I'd say yeah, they have a few minor quirks as they get up in mileage but overall they are pretty reliable cars, and extremely fun to drive.

I've owned quite a few focus's, and currently own a 2003 zx5 for my daily, here's a faily local SVT for sale on a focus forum i am part of. Not sure if you can see them without being a member though...

2002 Black SVT ZX3 - 40k miles, in Akron...$4500obo..Clean title.

http://forums.focaljet.com/vehicles-sale/626600-sale-02-black-svt.html

Over the winter there were a handful in that price range or lower, with 60-100k miles, but they all went fast.

Keep your eyes peeled, check Autotrader as well, I almost went to Harrisburg, PA last fall before buying my current focus for a SVT that was $6000 and had 71k miles on it.

That's a pretty good deal. Still, I'd like something that needs minimal/absolutely zero work done on it. Even with 40k on the chassis that car seems like it's been beat to shit already.

Didn't the SVT Focus come with an empty NO2 tank in them? Maybe that was a concept or something. Could have swarn I saw a photo of that when they were coming out with them.

That was the Saleen Focus. It was gay.

It's hard to beat the fun to dollar ratio of an SVT Focus. FRPP has a bunch of parts for them too, and there's good support for NASA's Spec Focus series, so the aftermarket is fantastic.

you won't gain much of anything with bolt ons(especially over the factory header), so you pretty much have to start with boost to get more power out of the 2.0l. a tune helps drive ability a LOT though. the transmission is a getrag 6 speed, same one used in the mini cooper S, so it's a pretty solid piece. the factory clutches are known for going out, so an aftermarket piece is pretty much a necessity.

Why am I looking at this car? Because I want an NA standard transmission 4 banger coupe with decent gas mileage under $7000, preferrably under $6000. And I want a bit more than 150 hp. Not looking to track this thing (yet), just something reliable while I build some savings.

Must haves:

Clean carfax

under 100k miles, fewer than 80k would be nice

reliable for daily use

will I find this in an SVT focus? If not, where else should I look?

Sentra SE-R Spec V can be found in this price range, too. I don't know the comparisons but I drove an SVT focus and was not impressed. It was smooth, but I didn't like it much at all. I daily an older sentra se-r right now because I can... I have other cars to drive, but I thoroughly enjoy that Nissan. You probably could find a used Celica, too. I don't know if you're a domestic or import or if it even matters.

I can guarantee you won't like it due to the name but, a 2000+ Toyota Celica GT-S can be had for that price and if you actually drove one you would be happy with the light weight, 180hp@8000rpm motor, and 6-speed transmission.

I can guarantee you won't like it due to the name but, a 2000+ Toyota Celica GT-S can be had for that price and if you actually drove one you would be happy with the light weight, 180hp@8000rpm motor, and 6-speed transmission.

until you go to shift into 5th and hit third by mistake.

What is so wrong about the SVT Focus? It's sort of neat for what it is, I mean the man is asking for experience, not to be talked out of buying one...

They are pretty solid car and have a really loyal following, so with that being siad they are generally well kept.

The shop services one very regularly and the only "big" issues we have had is that when the valve cover decides to leak and you don't catch it it destroys the seal for the t-stat housing on the driver's side of the head causing a coolant leak. This problem is common for a lot of Focus's. It has also had 02 sensors and the car is very sensitive to bad PCV valves since they are down underneath the exhaust manifold where there is a lot of heat, also the rubber hose off the PCV. Other than that is has been perfect, the owner daily drives the car even through the winter with a set of winter tires and autocrosses it now.

They are pretty nice cars for a Focus, Ford definitely spent most of their time with these, because these are one of the few Ford's I sort of like working on.

Let me go down the list of suggested cars:

-2000+ Celica: My first car was a 97 ST, uber underpowered but a great car. I'm not the hugest fan of the styling on the 2000+ and I haven't seen many with low miles because they've all been driven by pissed off teenagers. Still, I'd consider it. Transmission doesn't bother me.

- Sentra: I've read bad things about 2001-2003 Nissans, but that one you linked looks decent. I can't remember how I fit into a Sentra but it might be a little cramped (6'3", 260)

- SVT Contour: Not big on the styling, and I don't fit into older Fords very well for the reason mentioned above

- Civic SI: I auto-X'd one at Mid-Ohio a few years back and was thoroughly unimpressed. Something about that car made me feel like it was always trying to go a different direction then I told it to. I'd consider it, but only if I can find one in the mileage range and these tend to get up there.

Like I said, I'm not committed to the SVT Focus, I'm just weighing my options. I'd already seen Turborust's contour on CL, I've looked around at Sentra SE-Rs (all the ones I've seen are higher mileage and riced to hell), hadn't really considered the Celica or the Si but I'm going to look into those as well.