Plastic welding fairings

JaSSon

Whoever says plastic welding is junk, doesnt know how to do it. Or just simply can't. Sorry Hobs. I spent 5 years training employees of Keystone Automotive how to weld all types of plastic. And when the weld was done, it was stronger then the rest of the surrounding area. That is a fact. I helped write a book on this shit.

If you want some help, I can help you. I do it about once a week now on covers that are cracked for delearships.

And if you go through and look at my last few covers from board members you will see that backsides of those are welded to fill the license plate holes.

Welds will last forever on the plastics, fillers, 2 part expoys, etc, will not.

im glad you wrote the book on plastic welding.. thats great, may work great on bumpers

on bike plastics i dont trust it, its brittle, ive seen it done before, and i have seen it fail before

i worked at a shop where all i did was fix busted up bike fairings all day.. i used Plastex exclusively.. and i still use it to this day

if you have never used it you wouldnt understand. this stuff is better than anything on the market for motorcycle fairings period. i dont sell it, im not making money off telling people about it.... it just plain works, and works very very well.. again its the best shit out there plain and simple.

kevin pick some up and try it on a motorcycle fairing.. youll be highly impressed with the results.

again jason.. if you want to get those fixed buy some plastex and do it right... seriously use it.

Mike has used that stuff to.

there is a thread on OR where someone was looking for somethign to fix a broken headlight on a zx600.. i lead him to the plastex and he had nothign but great reviews about it.

i have some left over sitting here if you wanna try it first. ..

but again.. you wont be disappointed in the results

hell i used it to join a 3 piece tail section on a cbr f2// made it a one piece tail... you could bend and flex it with no issue.. the plastex was stronger than the oem plastic they use..

Welds will last forever on the plastics, fillers, 2 part expoys, etc, will not.

plastex isnt a filler, or 2 part epoxy

do some research

its a 2 part chemical.. put not an epoxy

it uses a chemical that actually eats and bonds into plastic then uses a powder form of plastic that fills and bonds with the oem plastic. its a more effective way of plastic welding persay

it chemically bonds instead of heating and melting

if you heat plastic it makes it brittle known fact

ill show you how to use the stuff to..

but it does come with a tutorial dvd.

its fairly simple to use though

they even give you some moding pieces that way if you have a broken tab, you can use the molding blocks around a tab that is similar and make a new piece out of the plastex for the missing/broken tab

if you heat plastic it makes it brittle known fact

+1 once you heat plastic it will never be as strong. It has to do with the chemical bonds that is why "plastic welding" has always made me laugh

Donnie at bob boyd does some of the best work I have seen, I wholesaler that works the area buys alot of crash bikes and brings him the plastic along with the cracked pieces and he welds them and paints them then throws the decals on them... seen alot of wrecked bikes and he does some awesome work.

I know its not an epoxy. Only giving examples above of inferior repairs.

Urethane Bumper Covers, TPO Bumpers Covers, ABS Parts, are not made out of the same material, that would get britle upon heating like you guys are refering to. Totally different.

#1 Reason being there is a percentage of wax in the molding mixture. This is what allows types of plastic to flex (bumper covers) When you heat wax it only becomes more pliable. When you cool wax then it become britle.

If you have a large dent in the side of a bumper cover, it gets heated and the dent will pop out. Plastic has memory. There will be an edge but it comes out. It doesnt break.

More covers are cracked in the winter time then in the summer time. There is a reason for that.

I've used platex, and every other type of plastic repair material. There is nothing out there that will meet the quality repair of thermally welding platic. Nothing. I worked on a corporate board testing all these material against each other. Not just this, but many more types of fillers, adhesion promotors, etc. All of the research we perform is not set as a standard for platic repair across the united states. Its accepted as the #1 repair with ALL insurance companies in the industry.

Plastex is available locally @ Cycle Search. We can even ship for those who are too far away.

FWIW, I have done both numerous times and I would rather weld than chemically bond. Also the plastex will not sand down like surrounding plastic and can create an uneven surface if you are not careful.

Plastex is available locally @ Cycle Search. We can even ship for those who are too far away.

FWIW, I have done both numerous times and I would rather weld than chemically bond. Also the plastex will not sand down like surrounding plastic and can create an uneven surface if you are not careful.

Correct.

Thermal Welds can be used on any type of plastic material. One thing I forgot to add, is when doing a thermal weld, your welding with a Rod that is made out of the same material your welding. This is why it 100% works, your not mixing material.

I have welded many bike fairing in the past 10 years, and I have yet to see one crack again where it was welded. And to top it, I can be finish sanding the front side, while we are waiting around on the back side to cure using other methods of repairs.

Hobs I believe you have used this material exclusively. I wont argue that.

I weld plastic on things all the time at work. 99% of the time it holds good as new. Sometimes its just in a place where your not gonna be able to make it work or its high temp plastic which I haven't managed to get to stick very often.