Speedo Healer Project

12oclocker

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'll probably be making more speedo healers, first batch is only gonna be 4, with factory connectors for Yamaha WR250X (Found out it will fit other Yamaha Years also, pretty much whatever yamaha bikes use the same Speed Sensor Connector as the WR250X)

I've already designed my TACH, its SWEET! A Single Chip Design, 1 microcontroller, measures the frequency going to your plug, does some 16bit binay math in an 8bit processor to convert to RPM's, then Displays the number on 7segment LED displays...

Right now....

...I'm trying to design if I want it to have Three 7 Segment Displays Like this....

10.5 RPM's (x1000) ....and you would know there is to be a x1000 multiplier,

Or if I should just put Five 7seg displays on there to read this....

10500 RPM's

this method seems kinda like a waste, since my binary math and frequency sample rate is always going to have the last digit read zero anyway, why bother having them?

Anyone have any suggestions on how it should look?

[10.5] RPM x1000 ....OR.... [10500] RPM ????

Three segment would be cool. Not sure what your mounting plan is, but you know there isn't a ton of room, so the smaller the better. Easy enough to remember there are two 0's at the end.

Looking forward to getting all the goodies from you. How is the gear indicator coming?

Three segment would be cool. Not sure what your mounting plan is, but you know there isn't a ton of room, so the smaller the better. Easy enough to remember there are two 0's at the end.

Looking forward to getting all the goodies from you. How is the gear indicator coming?

haven't started on the gear indicator yet, been doing the board layout for the speedo healer and tachometer, I got the tach down to 1.4" by 1.4" by .8" height, I got the speedo healer down to 1.5" by .59" by .19" height

have you tried any local junkyards for the connectors you need? there are usually a ton of wrecked bikes, and anything small like that will not cost much...

I dont know of any bike salvage yards near where I live :(

So your speedo healers are only for Yamaha brands as of now?

Sorry, I'm trying to keep up but half of what you are saying is gibberish to me!

It should work on ALL bikes, I just need to test it on them to make sure, principle of operation is the same for all bikes, just a matter of hooking it up.

On a side note, I think the healtech may actually have a EEPROM burn issue, healtechs continiously check and stores your max speed in eeprom, I thought about this while writing the firmware for my digital RPM meter, I thought about making it store the max RPM to eeprom, but then realized the EEPROM is only good for an average 100,000 read/write cycles, and if I load the previous stored EEPROM value to SRAM at startup, right there I reduce my product life to 100,000 power ups, then to take it a step further, If I write my max measure value to EEPROM every time I detect it occurs at a 500ms measure rate, I could actually Burn up my EEPROM after only 138 hours of operation of slowly increasing measurement values. naturally your measurements are going to jump around, and not slowly increase over such a long period, so your EEPROM reliability time would be much higher, but it still posses a "possiblity" of premature product failure after only a few years of operation in my opinion.

Edited by 12oclocker

OK, here is a pic of the first PCB, this thing is going to be TINY!

About the size of 3 dimes width wise, and about a dime tall.

I will post more pics of the install and the completed PCB once the connectors get here...

SpeedoFix.jpg

I like the 12oclock labs in the center of the chip

lol, me too, thanks.

Keep up the good work. Can't wait for the finished products! You had a post with a blue housing. Do you have black housings available? Looking forward to them all.

yep, I'll be ordering black housings, with a red screen, no one has the blue in stock, lol

I was sick for a week, and missed a week of work, other stuff I was working on feel behind as well, but I'm back to feeling better now....

They're done and ready to ship, I want to test them all on my bike first before shipping each of them out. so as soon as it stops raining over here, I'll do that...

They have the factory Yamaha Connectors, so they are super simple to install, and they will be pre-setup for your gearing before you get them, so all you have to do is plug and go, they will also come with setup instructions in case you ever change your gearing and want to adjust the unit.

Here's some pics of one installed on my bike, to make it water proof I wrapped my board in ESD (electro-static-discharge) safe plastic and taped the ends....

Your unit will come pre-wrapped, setup, and ready to plug and go.

Pic of the board ready for install...

speedfix1.jpg

Pic of board installed...

speedfix2.jpg

speedfix3.jpg

damn dog! Nice work once again. that thing is small and suprisingly silplistic looking

thanks, its super simple, just unplug the speed sensor, and plug this in between ;)

I would be interested in getting one for my bike if i could get the damn old front spocket off. What does Kawasaki do, weld the nut on?:mad:

maybe the person before you did it? never heard of that one before

I would be interested in getting one for my bike if i could get the damn old front spocket off. What does Kawasaki do, weld the nut on?:mad:

Ya my front sprocket came off as expected. I had both tires on the ground, one holding the bike and rear brake, with a long breaker bar on the 3/4 ratchet...

I'll pm u sometime next week to get one ordered..

This thing is really cool man. It sets itself to any change your give it! No need to input any data. Just change gearing or whatever and the device will self adjust the error automatically. :cool::bow:

lol, it not quite that fancy, I pre-set it up, so at initial install there is nothing to do, but if you change your gearing later, there are a few little switches to set, but its super simple.