Android outsells Iphone in Q1 of 2010

CRed05

Steve Jobs runs a company that can actually sell phones for top dollar every 12 months through one single provider that so many complain about, while all the rest run around in the buy-one-get-one-free game. He's pretty proud alright. They are also quite profitable. Not sure about you, but I'd take Most profitable over Best selling any day.

You've changed your tune. I remember you saying something along the lines of "at the end of the day, the best one will sell the most"

EDIT: Maybe not

Double Edit: Also, I dont think service providers make money off selling phones, they make profit from the service they provide. I'm also fairly certain that Verizon is not in the business to promote Android, they just want more customers. Android is also open source and free, its not the OS that's making Google money, its that its also bring Google more users. When HTC, Motorola and Samsung can use a free OS, it cuts their cost down, which cuts the provider's costs down, which leads to customer's saving money which means more customers for the phone makers, the service providers and Google. Sounds like Android is more profitable.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The market amongst ATT is saturated. They have sold so many for so long that everyone already has one or three... Android has released a lot of new phones and to some companies that are new to that os. That means you have hundreds of millions of people from multiple carriers that have an android option. Yes you have plenty of people that run to what ever's cool at that time... but that just means they will be running right back to ATT after the newest iphone comes out. If these same carriers had an iphone available the android numbers would be more than cut in half. If the new iphone has a faster processor and better camera androids will be secondary once again. I love my android phone but the iphone still has a better overall operating system and loyal fan base. Android is getting there, just needs more time.

P.S. Blackberry isnt going anywhere until a company makes a better email device with the support BB offers. Its going to take at least a decade to take them off of their throne.

People seriously care about this stuff that much?

Yes... cell phones these days show people how uber cool you are. Having the wrong cell phone will result in being uncool and having no friends.

why is everyone on blackberrys dick

The people in charge of businesses came up using them and employers are extremely brand loyal.

Yes... cell phones these days show people how uber cool you are. Having the wrong cell phone will result in being uncool and having no friends.

The people in charge of businesses came up using them and employers are extremely brand loyal.

Tell me about it, my work swears up and down by blackberry phones, I think there contract is almost up and they are gonig to be going to verizon , herd down the rumor mill all business phones are going to be droids too. Not sure how true that is tho, prolly just shitty bullshit work lies.

You've changed your tune. I remember you saying something along the lines of "at the end of the day, the best one will sell the most"

No change of tune...note I said "sells" the most...not gives the most away. Selling and profitability, I predict Apple will continue to drive sales upward and eventually take out RIM.

I work for a company that was a staunch RIM supporter. Now they support multiple platforms and nearly 1/2 of our 4,200 users have a non-RIM device. The iPhone is #2.

EDIT: Maybe not

Double Edit: Also, I dont think service providers make money off selling phones, they make profit from the service they provide.

The businessman and career salesman in me won't for a minute believe AT&T doesn't make a dime off iPhone hardware sales. If they don't, I want the job of negotiating that contract as a 6yr old would have negotiated a contract to make money off it.

Android is also open source and free, its not the OS that's making Google money, its that its also bring Google more users. Sounds like Android is more profitable.

I don't see an open source OS on a cell phone being a lasting model. It's almost an oxymoron....with so many cell phones being launched every two weeks something new comes out, versions change, I don't see application developers hanging around long. The won't be able to keep up with the hardware changes. Lock it down and keep it simple. Locking it down and keeping it secure is what will win the hearts of businesses using them too.

Tell me about it, my work swears up and down by blackberry phones, I think there contract is almost up and they are gonig to be going to verizon , herd down the rumor mill all business phones are going to be droids too. Not sure how true that is tho, prolly just shitty bullshit work lies.

Most companies dont trust it yet... but then again someone has to break the mold.

I don't see an open source OS on a cell phone being a lasting model. It's almost an oxymoron....with so many cell phones being launched every two weeks something new comes out, versions change, I don't see application developers hanging around long. The won't be able to keep up with the hardware changes. Lock it down and keep it simple. Locking it down and keeping it secure is what will win the hearts of businesses using them too.

There are many different linux distros for computers out there. Many far different in every single way, yet it takes little work for interoperable software. I've never seen a android app not work on my phone. What? There is first gen iphones that cant run 3gs apps?

Locking it down and keeping it secure? LAUGH OUT MY ANUS LOUD. Go do a google search for iphone security flaws. They pop up like erections in an apple store.

I am giving up my Iphone for an HTC Incredible. It is supposed to ship this week.

AT&T does not have 3G coverage where I live or work. Verizon now does.

I want a Steve Jobs nutswinger to try to tell me why the iPhone is better. Two years ago, it was better than any Verizon offering. They have failed to keep up. Too bad they wasted all that R&D on the iPad.

Nokia, #1 phone maker in the world was threatened by Android and the Iphone so they had to make a change to their SymbianOS. What they did was create Maemo, which is open sourced and based on Linux. I dont think Nokia is going to go down a dead end path.

Now that Android is steam rolling do any of you think that they will simply blow up the size of the Incredible to compete with the Ipad? Thats pretty much what apple did with the Touch to create the Ipad.

No i dont think so. There have been android tablets for a while, and there are a few new ones out now too. Archos 5 is the first one i think, Archos 7 comes out soon and then there were 2 other ones that I really like but I forget their names now.

Also ChromeOS is in the works which is a netbook cloud OS, which according to Google will merge with Android over time.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10402653-2.html

The Incredipad? :p

Anything to kill the hopes and dreams of these apple fanboys who think they have nothing to compete against them :) Like my f'n boss. He carries the gd thing with him EVERYWHERE. I think he loves it more than his children, its really sad.

Chris, can you give a quick crashcourse on rooting and all that? I'm hoping to get an Incredible soon, and I'm just wondering what it actually enables you to do. What are the positives and negatives?

Here ya go

What, exactly, is rooting?

Rooting your Android device involves adding in a small Linux application called “su”. It stands for SuperUser, and allows applications and commands to run with elevated permissions. Everything that runs code, whether it’s an application or the user, has a permission level set by the operating system. The root user is the boss and can do anything (good or bad) on the device. From simple things like clearing the cache from core applications, to more advanced things like wirelessly tethering a laptop or iPod touch through your phone, root can do it. The su program is a sort of gateway that lets applications or users act as root while doing tasks. If you’re the curious type (I know some of you are ) here’s a more in-depth review of root as used in a Linux system by the Linux Information Project .

OK, so why would I want to root my phone?

Good question! Maybe you don’t. Everything in a Linux system is a file, or is treated as a file. Most of the files you will need to access or change are available to you without having elevated permissions. "Most" being the key term here. When you want to do things that affect or change the core software of your device -- like changing the theme or adding a nice piece of software from another device -- you'll have to do it as root. Dream and Magic users have been running Eclair on their phones for a good while now, and it’s because they have rooted their device. Rooting also gives you access to some handy software that you couldn’t use otherwise. Things like a complete system backup or ad blocking software require you to root your device. Don’t root your phone just for the sake of rooting your phone, but if you come across something you feel you could use or would like to have, then consider it.

So it's like jailbreaking?

Pretty darn close. Jailbreaking an iPhone or iPod touch opens up things like using applications that aren’t manufacturer-approved or changing the look and feel of the device. Android already allows this to a large extent. The changes behind the scenes are the same way. A lot of what you can do with a jail broken iPhone you can already do with your Android phone, but to really unlock everything you’ll need to root it. The concept itself is identical. You’re allowing things that usually wouldn’t have root permission to have them.

Is it dangerous? Will it break my phone? Will it void my warranty?

It can be, It might, and Yes. By not allowing access to the superuser account, the manufacturer and your carrier have basically protected you from doing things that change the system and make it unusable. All it takes is one wrong keystroke to turn your shiny new Android phone into a plastic and metal brick with no connection. Most times this is recoverable, but not always. You have to decide how capable you feel you are, and how well written the instructions you’ve found seem to be. Nobody will blame you if you decide against the risk, especially your cell carrier. All major carriers and manufacturers plainly state that altering or using unapproved software voids your warranty, and rooting falls into that category. While that seems a bit harsh, they need to be able to support the products they sell. For that to happen, they need to know exactly what’s running and what it’s doing.

Apps that run as root need a little further consideration. You need to have a level of trust in the person who wrote the app first and foremost. Does the developer have other software available? Do the user comments (for Market apps) have anything that raises a red flag? Do the requested permissions seem a little odd? These are all questions you need to think about before you allow something to run as root. For a further level of security, think about installing an application that warns you anytime something tries to run as root. SuperUser Whitelist (Android Market link) is a great little app that does exactly that. If you decide to go on and root, ask users with the same device as you for a link to a version of SuperUser Whitelist that works with your firmware. Once installed, anytime something wants to run as root, the app intercepts and asks if you would like to allow it. You’re given the choice to accept, decline, or grant the app in question full privileges each time it runs.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/articleimage/Jerry%20Hildenbrand/2010/02/su_whitelist.png

If I root, will I still receive operating system updates from my carrier?

Maybe. More than likely if you’ve just rooted your phone so you could have access to the full file system and haven’t drastically changed things, the phone will still pass your carrier's checks and upgrade. If you’ve delved deeper and really customized your device, count on not being able to upgrade. Carrier updates were designed to work with the original software, so they need to be sure that’s what the phone is running. Again, this is for your own good. T-Mobile or Verizon can’t offer technical support for things they haven’t trained their technicians on, and if you flash a carrier approved update over custom software it’s probably not going to work.

The good news is that failing the checks the carrier does during an update won’t cause any damage to your phone. The update will just quit and you’ll be back where you started. Then you can decide if you would like to un-root and upgrade or take another path. The worst case scenario is that the phone passes the carriers checks, updates, and then things get broken. That’s pretty unlikely, but possible. If that would happen, you won’t be alone. Everyone in your situation will scramble to their favorite Android user forum and hopefully a work around can be found.

Note - a carrier update may also break the ability to root the device and a new method will need to be found. Any discussion of upgrading and root needs this mentioned as well. Most folks who root and decide to install a custom ROM wait for the ROM developer to provide an update that includes any bug fixes or new capabilities of the carrier update.

Will I still get application updates?

Yes. While it’s not being used, the program that allows permissions to be upgraded just sits and does nothing. Normal applications won’t even be aware it’s there, and applications that use it expect it to be there. Application updates, whether they are from the Market or other third parties will still install as normal.

If I decided to "un-root" my phone, how do I do that?

It depends on the model of your phone. Some are ridiculously easy to revert, some not so much. This is the most important question you can ask before you dive in and root your phone. Usually the website you found the method to root your phone will also have a discussion about un-rooting and going back to stock firmware. Take the time to find and read this information so you’re aware of just how difficult it’s going to be to go back. Pay close attention and create backups when recommended while you’re rooting your phone, as these may be needed to go back. I’ve not heard of any device that can’t be restored to factory firmware provided the original was backed up properly as recommended during the rooting process. The most important thing to always remember is to ask for help. If you do find yourself stuck without a backup or a working phone and need to roll back, ask for advice. Our forums are full of fine folks from all walks of life, and the majority are more than happy to help. There’s a good chance you’re not the first person in that situation and a solution has already been worked up!

As you can see it is something that needs a little thought before you dive right in. But if you decide you need root access, consider some of the information we’ve laid out here. The security and other risks are real, but are pretty easy to work with. There’s no reason you can’t safely root and use your phone, just do your homework first!

No one has figured out how to root the Incredible yet, but they have rooted the Desire which is basically the same phone so it wont be long. I would root any android phone, especially a phone that runs on sense because I'd want the latest and greatest version of Android, and I also prefer regular android over sense. So for example next week when Android 2.2 is released (or so rumor has it), everyone who just got their brand new Sense 2.1 phone will be outdated and probably wont get an updated for months and months. The main thing is you will be able to run custom roms, where people make tweaks here and there to improve speed and turn features on and off, or add features. For example the kernel I'm running now adds an extra 8MB of memory to the phone, and people have found out how to get even more out of it.

It's cause BB is a business device. My company alone buys sooooo many BB a day it's crazy.

Yup, its amazing what the right marketing can do. MS Exchange support was a plus for Blackberry's because not a lot of phones could do it, besides Nokia's which are leaps and bounds ahead of Blackberry, but now Iphones and Androids have it too.