Questions on rebuilt celica

KStang3.8

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1731938888.html

my friend is selling this. he said it has 147,000 on the body and 5,000 on the new motor.

new motor bored out .20 over

new pistons

all new seals and gaskets

stage three 6 puck racing clutch

short shifter

nice exhaust

My older brother has always loved celicas, and as his current car (camry 19x,xxx miles) gets older and crappier he's started to look for a new car. He's a poor as shit new college graduate living in oxford ohio working in a tattoo parlor, so he doesn't exactly have alot of money for another car.

do you think this car would work as a DD? would it be reliable and everything? He's not looking to race it or take it to the track or anything. Just likes how it looks, likes toyotas, looking for a cheap DD.

If he wants one, get a GTS. They are a crapload of fun, a guy on here had one.

Probly me right? haha I really miss my GT-S personally. I sold mine for 7k with 80k on it with quite a few bolt ons. For a fwd car its quite quick. Just make sure to get a 6 speed.

do you think this car would work as a DD? would it be reliable and everything? last awhile?

Yes, I just don't know I would ever buy another rebuilt/salvage titled car. I bought my last S4 as a salvage title and the thing was beat to shit. I had to dump tons of money into it.

But yes a celica is a great daily driver, I ran the shit out of mine and nothing ever went wrong besides the clutch because it was my first car and taught myself to drive stick.

I cant see the ad but I had a 2000 GTS with a stock motor and slapped a turbo on it. Great fun car, handled amazing, never gave me a single problem!

Edit: And mine was salvage, but I bought it like that and fixed it myself. It depends who fixed the car. You can get a salvage car that is a killer deal, and you can get one that was hacked together and is shitty. Salvage does not mean it had frame damage either. I've been through 20-30 salvage cars, from light fender bender to frame and roof damage to floods. Buddy of mine just bought a 2010 Altima with 5 miles on it, brand new from dealer, they parked them near a lake and the lake rose up and flooded the rear ends of a shitload of cars. Window sticker on the car said 24k he got it for 13k. Good deal if you ask me, runs and drives perfect still had the white film all over the car.

do you think this car would work as a DD? would it be reliable and everything? last awhile?

I would strongly recommend that you stay away from that car. If it was a 2zz (GT-S) it would be a different story but, the 1zz is something that I wouldn't buy especially rebuilt. If you decide to consider it definitely take a good test drive in it to listen to the motor, common issues are valves, burning oil, etc... I have had 2 1zz powered cars and the only way I was able to make it reliable was by swapping in a 2zz.

If a celica is what he wants he can find something good and cheap on http://www.newcelica.org.

He said he wants 6k, but he just signed for a house and needs money with the next 2 weeks, so he'll take anything for it if he can't get rid of it in time, lol. i was thinking of waiting a week and offering like 4,000 for it, my bro could get a loan and do that much. not much more than that though.

thanks for the advice little guy, i do not think its a GTS. My bro probably will try to get something more stock/less riced out anyways. I'll tell him to look for a GT-S and check out that website. thanks.

thanks to everyone else as well.

6 puck racing clutch? (for that extra .020 of power I assume) may hurt drivability

I really doubt he'd take $4k for it.

Where does it say salvage title? A rebuilt motor doesn't mean salvage title.

GT models has oil burning issues, but that was fixed 02 and up I believe. If he has different pistons the problem could have been fixed since it was cause by uneven cylinder walls.

I did not even see that until you made mention of clutch. Hell, it would suck if he was going to put a lot of miles on it. Over the years I have driven so many stage 2+++ clutches and it is one mod I can't stand for daily drivability. I don't mind it on a toy, but a DD with a 6-puck has never been fun for me. I drive 30-60 miles a day, though... many times in traffic.

I definitely recommend driving it through a couple of lights, stop and go to make sure you can tolerate it. Shift and down shift and make sure it's for you.