Transmission screwed on my lawnmower

Nitrousbird

I have an 05-06 Husqvarna 54" deck riding mower, GT2254. Bought it used last year.

6 speed tranny (3 gears + reverse, low and high). The fastest 2 gears are fine, low gear and reverse does nothing. The top gears are forward left and forward right on the gear selection, the dead gears are back left and back right.

At first, when engaged, they would work but grind. That was for about 30 seconds, now neither do anything...it's like being in neutral. The gear shift moves correctly to where it should go, but nada.

The "clutch" setup works perfectly, fully disengaging the drive to the tranny. When engaged, it spins correctly, and externally it should work.

New transaxle unit is $1100. Umm, no thanks. Anyone ever worked with one of these? Common tranny issues? I can buy the parts individually, but I want to mow my yard one last time before tearing it apart (PITA without reverse, but I can do it). I just want to get my research in before tearing it down.