In the shop

Hahn

So last June, i threw a rod in my stock MX6 motor. After mths of saving i finnaly got my hands on a JDM KLZE engine and took it to KNR up in Westerville for the swap. The guy there quoted me at a great deal and got to work on the car. After a couple day job turned into weeks i finnaly got my car back. Only problem is he put the A-spec intake manifold on the ZE engine, causing it to idle terrible and making it pretty much undrivable. This was against my wishes but he says that the JDM IM wouldnt fit properly. After more mths of sitting in the garage and a move down to Grove City, i found IPS motorsports and contacted them to fix this guys mistake. Along with swapping the IM, VAF, and ECU, they also are spicing up the engine appearance w/powder coated Valve covers and IM. They are now in the process of getting it all pieced together properly and i cant wait to get the car back since i havnt gotten to drive it since last June. Pics will be posted of the nice job IPS is doing as soon as i got the keys to the mazda again.

So last June, i threw a rod in my stock MX6 motor. After mths of saving i finnaly got my hands on a JDM KLZE engine and took it to KNR up in Westerville for the swap. The guy there quoted me at a great deal and got to work on the car. After a couple day job turned into weeks i finnaly got my car back. Only problem is he put the A-spec intake manifold on the ZE engine, causing it to idle terrible and making it pretty much undrivable. This was against my wishes but he says that the JDM IM wouldnt fit properly. After more mths of sitting in the garage and a move down to Grove City, i found IPS motorsports and contacted them to fix this guys mistake. Along with swapping the IM, VAF, and ECU, they also are spicing up the engine appearance w/powder coated Valve covers and IM. They are now in the process of getting it all pieced together properly and i cant wait to get the car back since i havnt gotten to drive it since last June. Pics will be posted of the nice job IPS is doing as soon as i got the keys to the mazda again.

Glad to hear it's all coming together.

Perhaps you can educate me a bit on these cars, why would one swap in what I have to assume is a $1500 engine + 2 shops worth of labor for an optimistic 200hp on good gas ? with quick googling, people are hoping for high 14's after the swap ?

Couldn't one simply turbo a junkyard stock motor and yield a better result, or do they not hold up at all ?

:confused:

Jones-the JDM engine is rated at 200hp compared to the 164hp stock. Along with the extra HP tho is a higher compression than the stock motor. Yes the stock motor would hold up better to boost but that engine is already iffy and then to boost my daily driver just has money pit written all over it. Trust me i considered it tho but for now im just sticking with the reliable and more powerful ZE for a daily driver. Plus the motor was only 900 plus 500 for the bad swap. It sounds expensive but compared to the problems i would have had with boosting it, this is the better route for me at this time.

for the price i paid for the car (4500) and the parts and labor that have gone into it, this car is still cheaper than other that i would love to have but just cant afford at this time. id wrather pay 1000+ for a new motor than 5k+ for another ride and start off at square one again. plus this car only needs to last for another 11 mths till i deploy. should remain a great lil daily driver.

Something is fishy with that original shop. I did this swap back in 1999 with a 100 piece craftsman tool set. There was no fitment issues other than the 1/2 shaft needed to have an extra hole drilled into it to bolt to the block.

It only took myself and two friends two days out of a weekend to do it.

Edited by Hwilli

Actually, on a small n/a 4cyl motor 36hp for $1400 really isn't a bad deal, especially considering the fact that stock reliability is still in tact. Congratulations on getting the car running, you need to post pics of the motor on here.

Actually, on a small n/a 4cyl motor 36hp for $1400 really isn't a bad deal, especially considering the fact that stock reliability is still in tact. Congratulations on getting the car running, you need to post pics of the motor on here.

It's a small 6cylinder. 2.5L

it wasnt that the engine didnt fit. the guy was claiming that the intake manifold wasnt linning up right w/sum ports and plugs, etc. obviously he is wrong cuz its not like im the first guy to have this swap done lol. he was kinda shady tho but i guess thats why it was cheap. now its w/the pros at IPS and they say its almost finished so ill have pics the day i get it back. and yes the ZE is capable of up to 400hp but thats alot more money and potential problems that im not sure i want with a daily driver. but who knows.

Jones-did u rly just make that for me? i appreciate it lol. and i have yet to meet a civic on the street. that might be because my car has been in the garage for almost a yr tho haha.