Audi Guys

SilverAudiMike

+1. Those things are money pits when not maintained.

Well the A4 1.8T's were notorious for sludge issues. You can find 100's around t he country with:

" Needs oil pump"

"Needs oil pick-up tube"

"Runs great needs engine work"

"Oil light on, slight noise might be turbo"

IE: In this case, low rpm "tick" + oil pickup tube = engine got starved for oil and is dying a painful death.

Like this:

http://yotarepair.com/Sludge%20Images/pick-up-screen.jpg

wow. thats pretty intense.

That is not an "actual" 1.8T photo, but a good reference. :D

There is nothing technically wrong with 1.8t's, but synthetic was not mandatory, and 10K oil changes were being prescribed by the dealers. Which meant morons stretched that in the neighborhood of 12-15K in some cases.

That, coupled with smaller than usual oil passages, lines, ect. and turbo heat made for some very quick engine deaths. Oil pump impellers were literally snapping off (plastic).

Soooooo, what are the warning signs to check for if I am looking to get one of these cars with >100k miles? How much should I spend on a B5?

Of course, as little as possible.

Ideally, you'll find a loved one, in which the owner can provide documentation of 3k-5K oil changes. Obviously, you don't want to hear any noises, open up the oil filler cap and inspect, although a limited view, you can get a good idea if you see built up black oil deposits everywhere.

Soooooo, what are the warning signs to check for if I am looking to get one of these cars with >100k miles? How much should I spend on a B5?

With that many miles, I'd want to see complete maintenance records and no noticeable problems. Check for any sort of suspension noise because those repairs can add up fast.

I sold mine at 85k when I decided the maintenance costs just weren't worth it. I will end up in another Audi sooner or later, but it will be an "S" and under warranty.

You're better off looking for a v6 A4, as they hold up much better to abuse and you don't have to worry about K03 failure. At least there are tons of 1.8t motors floating around in case it needs replaced. Don't forget about wheel bearings, control arms, ABS module, o2 sensors, MAF sensor, instrument cluster, CV joints, and timing belt/water pump. Also check the head for oil leakage, and camchain rattle on startup.

Tell him to change the oil with full synthetic 10w-40 and a good filter.

The cam chain tensioner is oil pressure regulated, and when the oil gets old / thin it wont pressurize right, causing a tick.

This happened on mine a couple times when I just couldnt get around to changing oil for about 4500-5000 miles.

This is just what an audi tech told me..

The audi awd systems are so expensive to fix also... Think the last one we did needed a new bcm or something to that sort ( cant remeber now) and it is about a grand just for the part

The audi AWD "systems" are simple actually. A single torsen mechanical center diff. Which, I can't remember hearing of one actually going bad.

• 4 weeks later...
2.8's are about the most reliable monster they put in A4's. Pretty slow, but reliable and decent on gas.

They're not that slow, I was pretty sure they were mid 15-second cars, which is plenty fine for a DD. I had one and never had any trouble. I got 20mpg in the winter, 25 in the summer. Good motor, but the rest is still a B5.

2.8 is a great motor, just needs t-belt/ water pump t-stat every 60k. Front suspension kit every 80-120k. Also look for leaking valve cover gaskets and cam seals. If you ever have a misfire its either a coil pack or fouled plugs 80% of the time.