I need to buy a buffer...

2 Sweet

Where can I get a decent one for cheap? I would like something a little more aggressive than my orbital I got from Meijer years ago. I'm assuming I need to get a rotary? My car has some swirl marks that need attention, and my current buffer just isn't cutting it (pun intended, har har har).

I'm planning on checking out Harbor Freight. Anywhere else I should look?

Steve,

Despite the fact that the Porter Cable is still an orbital it's a step up from what you've got now. Another key thing is getting the correct pads and polishes for the job at the same time. With most ortibals found at places like sears not only are the pad choices generally uneffective for anything other than just waxing the car, but they really give you no guidance on proper products to use either.

You really need to expect to spend about $200-250 to get a good orbital, pads, and polishes to get yourself started. The good news is that's about the same money you'd pay to have a pro do your car just once so consider it an investment that you won't have to be making again down the road as long as you're committed to learning the process correctly.

I wouldn't suggest a rotary if you have limited polishing knowledge and experience. Too many risks of making things worse and not better.

Andy

Steve,

Despite the fact that the Porter Cable is still an orbital it's a step up from what you've got now. Another key thing is getting the correct pads and polishes for the job at the same time. With most ortibals found at places like sears not only are the pad choices generally uneffective for anything other than just waxing the car, but they really give you no guidance on proper products to use either.

You really need to expect to spend about $200-250 to get a good orbital, pads, and polishes to get yourself started. The good news is that's about the same money you'd pay to have a pro do your car just once so consider it an investment that you won't have to be making again down the road as long as you're committed to learning the process correctly.

I wouldn't suggest a rotary if you have limited polishing knowledge and experience. Too many risks of making things worse and not better.

Andy

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I think that's the route I'll end up going

The best thing to use is the the Porter Cable 7424 Buffer/polisher. It will not burn your paint and it will take care of those swirl marks. You can pick one of these up band new for like $119.00 with free shipping at http://WWW.Tools-Plus.com. Not affiliated with this site , just did a search and they had the best price. I have one of these and using it with some Meguires polish you can see yourself like a mirror in the shine. Like they said above that a lot has to do with the products that you are using to get your job done. Visit the Meguires website and they have all sorts of video's to show you how its done..And of course the products too!

• 2 weeks later...