Android...must I root?

Putty

I really want a phone I can do cool shit on and not have to root or jailbreak...just use it the way I bought it. Too much shit to research and keep up on blah blah. However, I am up for it if it betters the experience.

I found this..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/24/htc-evo-4g-rooted-in-record-time-video/2#comments

Who on here has rooted Androids? What's it give you that you didnt have out of box?

I'm rooted, and I'm running Android 2.2 :)

You can run whatever ROM on the phone you want. Or flash add-ons that the phone other wise wouldnt be able to do. For example, want to unlock the screen with the trackball? Sure! Want to make the trackball flash blue for text message, green for email and white for phone calls? Sure! Want to get rid of Sense and run regular android or vice versa, sure!

On pre 2.2 it lets you do wifi tethering, apps2sd, enable JIT compilation, all which are now standard on 2.2. It will also make it possible to run apps that will take screen shots and you can overclock the phone.

Wifi tethering and overclocking are the two biggies. Then there is a ton of amazing custom themes out there.

if you get a phone like the incredible overclocking isn't really desireable and wifi tethering will be coming soon enough.

People seem to think that wifi tethering will get locked out for sprint phones once they get the 2.2 update. Knowing verizon, I wouldnt be surprised if they did the same. Maybe not.

I don't think any carrier is too happy about it.

Wifi tethering and overclocking are the two biggies.

Tethering means nothing to me. I am always close to a hotspot. I have it on a blackberry and I have an aircard and I never use either.

Kickass is selling it to me. I like being able to do some of the things he mentioned. I'll have to see how I like it out of the box. On the EVO you can turn sense on and off. I'd like to overclock that snapdragon.

You can turn sense "on/off" on any sense phone, but all it really does is run the android launcher, its mostly only visual.

But I would suggest just that, see how you like it first. Right now there aren't any ROMs or tweaks for it yet. A lot of it has to do with sense, since its not open source, but the android part of it can still be tweaked here and there, as well as the kernel.

I'm still not convinced on overclocking the snapdragon, people seem to be able to run it fairly stable at 1.1XXghz, but the advantages don't quite yet out weight the risks IMO.

I'm gonna laugh in 2 weeks when you see the new iPhone and the new features, have this thing for sale. There is some secret shit being held back.

I am curious to see it unveiled too. I need to go see what the rumors are.

oooh, i see they now have multitasking, and a new way to advertise...very creative and original

I am curious to see it unveiled too. I need to go see what the rumors are.

oooh, i see they now have multitasking, and a new way to advertise...very creative and original

There is more then that, I can see tethering in the 4.0 beta now, it says to contact AT&T. Who knows what else, but I bet they have somme good news that is not leaked yet. The All White iPhone including the front looks pimp. And if you don't read stuff here, Charles goes through phones like you use Toilet Paper rolls.

There is more then that, I can see tethering in the 4.0 beta now, it says to contact AT&T. Who knows what else, but I bet they have somme good news that is not leaked yet. The All White iPhone including the front looks pimp. And if you don't read stuff here, Charles goes through phones like you use Toilet Paper rolls.

:D Putty and I have had this conversation several times. I want to see and play with both side by side before I make my decision. I'm looking forward to the release of the new iphone and the EVO 4G.

I'm gonna laugh in 2 weeks when you see the new iPhone and the new features, have this thing for sale. There is some secret shit being held back.

I've pondered that I have. Although, for what I have seen of the device itself, I am not impressed. Physical features.

Savior is this, Ben...Sprint offers 30 days no hassle cancellation, so if Apple somehow pulls a rabbit out the hat....I'm covered.

The All White iPhone including the front looks pimp. And if you don't read stuff here, Charles goes through phones like you use Toilet Paper rolls.

The all white is nice. I saw it today. Finally more than just the back. I just can't believe they didn't increase the screen size. The processor has already been revealed as the same one that's in the iPad. I've played with that and it's not super snappy. Therefore, to me, the only thing they can be hiding is some features within 4.0...

I saw a demo of the multitasking and it looks kinda weak sauce.

Yes, I change carriers and phones like it's no thing. I rarely travel other than vacations, so every carrier available here is OK with me. I move for a good device...pay the ETF and say F it....lol

I'm looking forward to the release of the new iphone and the EVO 4G.

This is one time I think the iPhone has found its match. I have watched every youtube, engadget and macrumor video I can find on this thing and I have not found one thing it cant do better than the iPhone. Only downfall is the Appstore.