Who is going to buy this?

87GT

Aren't you just advertising that you have items worth casing the house for, and waiting for the homeowners to leave before you break in?

They are kind of funny though.

this is exactly why I didn't buy a similar sign when i saw them like a year ago.

Aren't you just advertising that you have items worth casing the house for, and waiting for the homeowners to leave before you break in?

They are kind of funny though.

I never advertise the land mines

I don't think so. I think it's badass. Goes well with the sign I have of our dogs showing thier teeth. Under it says "I can get out this door in 3.5 seconds, can you?"

no different than the various signs about protected by S&W or we don't call 911 etc.

no different than the various signs about protected by S&W or we don't call 911 etc.

Exactly.

Dogs are much more threatening to a potential thief than knowing if the homeowner has a gun or not. As a matter of fact on many occasions that's exactly what the worthless bastard is out to get. A burglar is just going to try to work out the times when people are and are not home. Someone who would place such a sign as "NRA" or some other gun related sign is simply telling thieves that they are likely to have plenty of guns, and to just wait for them to not be home.

Just my .02 I'm not "against" the signs or anything so ridiculous.

That's what gun safes are for. Good luck taking something that's over 500lbs, fire rated, and not to mention locked up pretty tight.

That's definitely an added measure of security should someone decide to rob you of your gun collection, but that's not really the point I was making. More that this type of sign would make you a likelier target for criminals wanting to score guns(which is plenty), not make you easier to rob. If most burglaries occur in the daytime when folks are not at home, why make a point to show it off. That's like putting a sign on your windshield that says "KICKASS SYSTEM IN HERE".

EDIT: With the limited research into this subject that I have gleamed off teh webs(grains of salt and what not), it doesn't seem terribly uncommon to have the whole safe stolen. I was even reading a story someone posted about their closet floorboards being sawed through to defeat the bolts. Which in my line of reasoning would indicate that there are at least some thieves out there who know exactly what they are looking to get, and can logically set expectations about possible security measures. If you were a thief and you were wanting to steal guns where would you go and what would you bring ? Obviously a place you know has guns. Bring a couple of your equally worthless friends, a dolly, a truck and some tarp, a saw. Just seems to me that the best security should first be discretion, then backup solutions.

I do have a question though, if your guns are locked up so tight, and you hear your door get kicked in, and are the victim of an actual home invasion, say at night, disoriented, off-balance, wouldn't having such a secured setup be a hindrance ? Not necessarily to you either Scott, because you have military training and experience, but a civilian that has reasonable gun experience, such as myself. Which is exactly why I keep my shotgun loaded and easily accessible in my bedroom (to an adult anyway). I do understand that having such a sign as posted could deter a would-be home-invader during nighttime hours, but do you think it would deter anymore than say a "Brinks" sign, or a "Beware of Dog" sign ?

Edited by sol740

If I were a criminal a sign of that nature would deffinately make me think twice. An armed citizen no matter, still poses more of a threat than a "security system" in my opinion. I don't know the statistics on armed robbery, but never the less, if I were a theif, I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of a firearm. Take into consideration the police response time for an alarm. Call it 5 minutes or so, thst's enough time for a quick heist. The dog sign I believe deters aswell, but could be anything from a tea cup poodle to a raging pitbull. So that sign is kind of hit or miss.

-As to comment on the night time scenario, this is all the more reason I am a firm believer of Surefire's product line. I can't tell you how many times through personal experience, a Tac light works like you wouldn't believe. Not only has it saved lives, meaning, if I didn't have the light I would've killed an un-armed civilian multiple times, but in a raid like scenario it gives you that suprise element and split second to enguage when necessary. I know it was kind of off topic per-say, but in addition to the visual warnings, a good bright light upward of 60 lumens, is enough to give you an edge, yet possibly deter someone.

If I were a criminal a sign of that nature would deffinately make me think twice. An armed citizen no matter, still poses more of a threat than a "security system" in my opinion. I don't know the statistics on armed robbery, but never the less, if I were a theif, I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of a firearm.

I agree, and nor would I want to be on the receiving end if I were a criminal. However if I was specifically trying to steal guns, I would go where I know guns are. Maybe drive around in the morning a couple times verifying the general times the homeowner(s) leaves for work or whatever, and strike when they are not home so there is no threat of violence.

Here is a link to article by Dave B. Kopel (NRA member and political science researcher), where he outlines that home invasions are less prevalent in the USA because of the threat of gun-ownership, but not daytime burglary. Here's a link and an excerpt.

Compared to foreign burglars, a higher percentage of American burglars are apt to avoid occupied residences, for fear of getting shot, and this is why American home invasion burglaries are rarer than in other countries (Kopel, 2001; Kleck, 1997). Nevertheless, an especially reckless or foolhardy cohort of American burglars are not deterred, and these burglars actually prefer to burglarize homes with guns, since guns are such uniquely valuable loot; thus counties with more guns have relatively higher burglary rates (Cook-Ludwig).
http://www.davekopel.com/2A/ch/Comment-on-The-Effects-of-Gun-Prevalence-on-Burglary.htm

Another excerpt and link.

American burglars tend to "work" at hours when persons are unlikely to be in the home. [FN59] Consistent with the desire to avoid a personal confrontation, burglars prefer houses, such as those on corners, where the risks of being observed by a neighbor are reduced. [FN60] Two hours are spent on the average suburban burglary; most of that time is spent "casing the joint" to ensure that no one is home.

One burglar told of watching a particular house and noting that the occupants all went to church for four to five hours on Sunday morning. [FN61] Another explained, "You just knock on the door to see if they're there. You bang, you *354 bang, you look through windows, nobody's in bed. I mean, you gotta make sure they're not home" [FN62]

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/LawRev/LawyersGunsBurglars.htm

For disclosure purposes Sol740 does not not necessarily endorse, or even agree with Dave Kopel, just passing information along that I have found.

That's what gun safes are for. Good luck taking something that's over 500lbs, fire rated, and not to mention locked up pretty tight.

Depends on your safe I guess. Have you ever seen those videos where seasoned criminals take a couple crow bars to a safe and gets it open and are done in less than 5 minutes?

Depends on your safe I guess. Have you ever seen those videos where seasoned criminals take a couple crow bars to a safe and gets it open and are done in less than 5 minutes?

Goes back to the old addage you get what you pay for. I'm buying a fairly large safe when I get home in September, just to secure my firearms along with some other items. I was looking at something similar to the Ft.Knox safes....

Example:

http://www.easternsecuritysafe.com/Products/gunsafes/ftknox/open-gun-safe.jpeg

Just saying, good luck getting into something like this. This is similiar to the model of safe I'm looking at. I see no problem spending over $1,500 for a secure safe.