Helmets...Please read

timmy43016

I hate wearing my helmet (full face). I have to turn my head down to look at my gauges and mirrors. But, I wear it every time. HERE is why. Also, I hate the drag it creates at speeds over 60. The Sporty has no wind screen, so i am a giant parachute as it is...

KillJoy

Do you currently wear a helmet?

-YES

Why do you choose or choose not to wear a helmet?

-Dont want a crushed skull

If a helmet could offer a better experience/persona/vision technology, what would that technology be and would you be interested in wearing this helmet?

-I wouldnt mind getting one of those bluetooth helmets, that way I can play music, talk on the phone and communicate with other riders.

-I have also seen helmets with built in, flip down visors that block the sun behind the regular clear visor. No need to swap visors before hand.

Do you currently wear a helmet?

Yes

Why do you choose or choose not to wear a helmet?

Mandated by SCCA safety rules. Also a very good idea in RallyCross where bumps and ruts can cause big guys like me to clock our heads on the door frame. Not so sold on it for AutoX though...

What do you like or dislike about wearing a helmet? (size issues, weight etc.)

Like: Safety

Dislike: Heat, uncomfortable to put on and remove (no comfort issues when on)

If a helmet could offer a better experience/persona/vision technology, what would that technology be and would you be interested in wearing this helmet?

For the amount of time I wear a helmet, I'm willing to sacrifice features for affordability. Smaller size, easier on/off, and cooler temperatures while in a car might make me step slightly above my price point. But no $400+ helmets for me.

Honestly, if there was a way to certify a helmet for use in an enclosed car with no roll cage that was lighter and smaller, I think it would find a lot of popularity in amateur motorsports.

auto tint

Great idea.. Rearview mirrors, glasses, and welding helmets have the ability to adjust their opacity according to ambient light conditions. Should be simple to make a helmet visor that does this too.

I'd love to have one that can vary the tint slowly like those reactive glasses, but then can bump it up quickly like a welding helmet to counteract turning towards the sun or getting a flash of glare from another car's windshield. There's been a few times where I've come out of a turn straight into the sun and been unable to find the entry for the next turn..

Now back to reality. It should be the riders choice.

It can be the riders choice when they are on the road completely alone. Otherwise, dumbasses that choose not to wear one, put me in a situation of being faced with a serious injury or death of another human being should an accident occur. I don't need the results of their bad decision my head nor on the conscious of my wife should it be her involved.

IMO, there is no right or freedom for someone to themselves at risk where others are involved. Riding is a privilege and should be done so with respect for others first. Sadly, too many people in the world put themselves first and others....not even a close second. People who preach freedoms and rights need to get off their solo high-horse and start realizing they are not living in a vacuum.

With sadness I do feel riders who choose not to protect their melons get what they deserve when they meet another vehicle in a bad way. Fort he record, I always buckle up and always wore/wear a helmet when riding.