12 bolt leaking again

V8 Beast

Its a very slow leak and I'm having trouble pinpointing where its coming from. Its so slow that if I clean the rear it takes a few drives before it even starts leaking again. Over 24 hours it way drip about 1 teaspoon. Not really a big issue, just annoying to have to clean up the garage floor everynow and then. Any ideas on how to catch a leak this slow? Any kind of gear dye or anything on the market for this?

Sounds like its just a leaky rearend cover. Is it chrome by chance?

Easiest solution though, take off the rear end cover, drain all the fluid, make sure the cover is clean and the housing cover mounting surface is clean. (if you do you have a chrome rearend cover, just grind all the chrome off of the sealing surface). Apply a nice bead of "the right stuff" RTV all around, no gasket just the right stuff.

Our 68 was doing the same thing as you described, and what I just mentioned is what fixed it.

I would assume that the rear is only getting wet around the rear cover, and not the pinion? If that's the case Nickey is right on the money. The Right Stuff is a perfect sealant for this, and works great. I still prefer to use a gasket, just putting a good coating on both sides, but the gasket isn't neccesary with this stuff.