Obamas my hero!!!

thorne

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did Obama go on vacation to Chicago in order to visit the Illinois cemetery or did he go to the Illinois cemetery because he was on vacation in Chicago?

Does it really matter? Here's my take.

Laying a wreath in Arlington is a symbolic gesture that is pretty much meaningless. I can hate America with every fiber of my being and still go out there and plunk a wreath down, wave a little flag, and have all the patriots schlobbing my knob. It's a nice thing to do, sure, but it's not the most important thing the president does. It's not even the most important thing he does on that day, probably.

In the past, presidents have realized this and sent delegates when they're not in town. Reagan, Bush Sr, and Bush Jr all did this, and nobody questioned their patriotism.

Furthermore, if McCain were in office and you were his advisor, and he said, "Hey, I've got things I want to do in Arizona this weekend, think anyone would care if I sent Palin instead and laid a wreath in Phoenix somewhere?" You'd be like, "Well, sure, whatever, who cares. The memorial day wreath-laying isn't something I look forward to, and I don't check the TV schedule in the morning so I can be sure to catch it." Because honestly, when was the last time you even paid attention to it?

But for some reason everyone is now a patriotism expert and claims that they've always considered the memorial day wreath laying at Arlington to be super important. And to that, I can't roll my eyes enough.

Laying a wreath in Arlington is a symbolic gesture that is pretty much meaningless. I can hate America with every fiber of my being and still go out there and plunk a wreath down, wave a little flag, and have all the patriots schlobbing my knob. It's a nice thing to do, sure, but it's not the most important thing the president does. It's not even the most important thing he does on that day, probably.

In the past, presidents have realized this and sent delegates when they're not in town. Reagan, Bush Sr, and Bush Jr all did this, and nobody questioned their patriotism.

Furthermore, if McCain were in office and you were his advisor, and he said, "Hey, I've got things I want to do in Arizona this weekend, think anyone would care if I sent Palin instead and laid a wreath in Phoenix somewhere?" You'd be like, "Well, sure, whatever, who cares. The memorial day wreath-laying isn't something I look forward to, and I don't check the TV schedule in the morning so I can be sure to catch it." Because honestly, when was the last time you even paid attention to it?

But for some reason everyone is now a patriotism expert and claims that they've always considered the memorial day wreath laying at Arlington to be super important. And to that, I can't roll my eyes enough.

McCain took 44k from BP so if he was the pres he would be in on it as well.

Did you serve? I'm thinking not. I will apologize if I am wrong though. Not to say it only matters to us who have, but I think we hold something of this nature closer to heart.

To answer your question though - To ME, Yes, it does matter. It is a sign of respect and honor from the Commander in Chief on a nationally recognized day. I also feel every President should do it personally, not a dignitary (unless major circumstances prevent it).

I do agree with you though, most people would not normally question it under other circumstances. That I will roll my eyes with you about. I feel the same way about people and the US flag. After 9/11 it was a great feeling and sight to see everyone buying up and flying the flag. Now, I realize it was a band wagon thing for many people. Most homes that flew their flag, only put it out at the holidays again (if that). It's sad it takes such an extreme to unite us all, but there is such other BS out there that can so easily divide us.

"Divided we stand...."

8 years active duty air force, currently a reservist. Signed up in Nov 2001.

Then I do apologize.

For the most part, like I said, I agree with you on peoples attitudes regarding this event.

It was just my .02 that differed. Very glad to hear you served. :cool:

To answer your question though - To ME, Yes, it does matter. It is a sign of respect and honor from the Commander in Chief on a nationally recognized day. I also feel every President should do it personally, not a dignitary (unless major circumstances prevent it).

I guess what I was saying is that even though he wasn't at Arlington he was still at a ceremony paying respect to those in service and those past.

It seems to me like the right continues to question his commitment to the defense of this country and he really can't do anything good enough for them. I recently saw on the Drudge Report that he committed another 40k to the middle east and has boosted the number of drone attacks aimed at al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan. I remember last fall he made a midnight visit to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to witness the return of dead GIs(which his predecessor never did according to what I just read). He certainly didn't up and pull everyone out like everyone was concerned about before he came into office. I haven't read anything about any serious cuts to funding as we continue to throw 100 Billion dollars a year into the commitment. The message I'm getting is he's committed to continuing to keep us safe, not that he doesn't give a shit. Maybe I don't get my news from the right places?? Perhaps I should listen to this Rush guy everyone talks about.

I guess what I was saying is that even though he wasn't at Arlington he was still at a ceremony paying respect to those in service and those past.

It seems to me like the right continues to question his commitment to the defense of this country and he really can't do anything good enough for them. I recently saw on the Drudge Report that he committed another 40k to the middle east and has boosted the number of drone attacks aimed at al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan. I remember last fall he made a midnight visit to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to witness the return of dead GIs(which his predecessor never did according to what I just read). He certainly didn't up and pull everyone out like everyone was concerned about before he came into office. I haven't read anything about any serious cuts to funding as we continue to throw 100 Billion dollars a year into the commitment. The message I'm getting is he's committed to continuing to keep us safe, not that he doesn't give a shit. Maybe I don't get my news from the right places?? Perhaps I should listen to this Rush guy everyone talks about.

I do agree it is good he did something. But, I have to revert back to Earls question of did he just go there because he was on vacation in IL? I am just a creature of tradition. I feel if he could have been there, he should have been. Reagan, it sounds like could probably get a pass for not being there. Both Bush's I would absolutely question where they were as well. Unfortunately the quote does not specify for them like it did Reagan.

Like I said, I am not on one side of the fence barking at the "other" party here. I am only speaking on my feelings of American Traditions.

So did Obama go on vacation to Chicago in order to visit the Illinois cemetery or did he go to the Illinois cemetery because he was on vacation in Chicago?

Does it fucking matter since he was still paying respects somewhere, somehow?

so kick BP's ass while the economy tanks, and unemployment skyrockets. Wow, I feel better.

lol Fuckin A. I feel fairly certain you're one of 'those' people. :rolleyes: If you truly need me to explain, I will.

Was he wearing a flag pin?! If he wasn't, he hates Amerika. I'm an expert on these things. :cool:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100608/ts_alt_afp/usoilpollutionenvironment

;)

I am happy that he would be so angry at this shit to just be real.

Though i must say I bet the republicans eat this alive.

Obama your my brother from another mother.

Obama is only acting angry so the stupids will be happy with him. What good does getting angry do?

Everybody knows I live in Hannity's America, and even I don't think Obama has handled the spill wrong.

Here is my take on Obama skipping out on the Memorial day services at Arlington.

As said prior, other presidents have skipped out on the ceremonies but there is a major difference here. The other presidents did not start their presidency by going on a tour of apology for our country. The other presidents did not change the term terrorism to man made disasters. Now are troops are fight people who cause man mad disasters not terrorist. To me this is just another insult to America from this President.

I still think in a 1x1 fight He-Man can take the Incredible Hulk...

I don't know... Does he still get the use of his sword? I believe He-Man would win if they were in their 'regular' forms. Nobody stops the Hulk. And don't you reference that DC vs. Marvel crap. They gave that to Superman. Whatta fag. :rolleyes:

:D