Rugby

KillJoy

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80856

Viewed by 12 people, no replies :(

Rugby is a fun sport, if my schedule was different Id still be playing but unfortunatly i cant find any time for it. I played in HS for Worthington.

EDIT: where did you see your game? on tv or live?

Worms?

Worms?

The Worms are Westerville (they beat the shit out of us, bad.... many times). Worthington's mascot is the cardnal's (sp?). From what i remember Westerville always fields a really good, nationally competitive team. Mostly because they draw starting football players from both major Westerville schools and their program is really good. Worthington had all the student "athletes" that didnt want to take drug test to be on a team.

Just as a disclaimer, i was never particularly good at rugby but i did enjoy playing alot.

I played a bit in middle school when I lived in Australia. My dad played all the way through high school and for the Australian national team 1975-1980. He has a room dedicated to Rugby and his playing days at his house and watches old tapes from his playing days every once in a while. It's fun to watch.

I went to all three days of the collegiate sevens tournament, as a rugby player and a fan it was unbelievable... I can't believe more people weren't there.

I played at BGSU for 5 years - definitely one of the best experiences of my life. BG actually did decent in the tournament, winning the consolation bracket.

I always wondered why rugby hasn't taken off like I thought it should. Then I volunteered to coach the Westerville Worms girls team... after talking with athletic directors in all westerville schools it became quite obvious. There are some people out there who only care about themselves and don't give two shits about the youth of our community. The only school that gave any encouragement was westerville central, with westerville north's AD being the biggest piece of shit I've ever spoken with.

I went to all three days of the collegiate sevens tournament, as a rugby player and a fan it was unbelievable... I can't believe more people weren't there.

I played at BGSU for 5 years - definitely one of the best experiences of my life. BG actually did decent in the tournament, winning the consolation bracket.

I always wondered why rugby hasn't taken off like I thought it should. Then I volunteered to coach the Westerville Worms girls team... after talking with athletic directors in all westerville schools it became quite obvious. There are some people out there who only care about themselves and don't give two shits about the youth of our community. The only school that gave any encouragement was westerville central, with westerville north's AD being the biggest piece of shit I've ever spoken with.

The promoters really screwed up on this one. I heard that there were a few great ideas that were not put to use for some reasons. There were talks of bannering up the upper decks with Ads to raise money; never happened. There was and idea of having a battle of the bands right before the tournament started to raise awareness; they did it like a week earlier. There was an idea to hold a 10k run beginning and ending at the stadium so people could just walk into the stadium right after; never went through. Not to mention that some other organizers decided to schedule another tournament across town at the same time. So there were like 1500+ rugby players in the city but couldn't go to it. Factor in that ABC decided to schedule it on the same weekend as the Memorial tournament.

I was pretty upset to hear all of this because this was a HUGE opportunity for rugby and they really fucked it up. ABC was pretty pissed at the turnout and they were thinking of pulling the plug on the coverage for Sunday. Mark Cuban put up money for this tournament as well. After the turnout from this, it'll be hard pressed to see them do it again...

This event could've been so much better.

The Worms are Westerville (they beat the shit out of us, bad.... many times). Worthington's mascot is the cardnal's (sp?). From what i remember Westerville always fields a really good, nationally competitive team. Mostly because they draw starting football players from both major Westerville schools and their program is really good. Worthington had all the student "athletes" that didnt want to take drug test to be on a team.

Just as a disclaimer, i was never particularly good at rugby but i did enjoy playing alot.

and Big Walnut, they had Will Studlien (on scholarship at Northwestern for football) and a few other guys from their 2007 state championship team on the worms through the mid 2000's

A cousin of mine was the captain of the Purdue Rugby team in 05 and 06 and I went to a few of the matches, fun shit. Also saw Wales play an exhibition against Scotland while I was there in 2006, now that was fuckin cool. The Welsh don't give a shit about soccer, but don't fuck with their rugby.

I graduated Thomas in '97

Only two sports our school dominated in were track and lacrosse

From what i heard Worthington Rugby was really good pre 2000/2001 but we lost a bunch of really good seniors. I joined the team my junior year so that was 01. Everyone always talked about how good we use to be. That year we lost to Westerville 70-7 our scrums were'nt scrums, it was like a pack of man-childs just pushing kids around the field. It got so bad the ref's called for "uncontested scrums" which i didnt even know was possible, basically we lined up, engaged but just held position. Fucking aweful.

As for the 7's tourny. It was a great opportunity but they really fucked it up. If you had the choice of the dates why would you pick the one weekend both the memorial tournemant and a Lacrosse tourny were both going on in the same weekend?