Differential opinions?

Cordell

Okay so I plan on buying the 3rd member this week or next for my Ford 9" conversion into my Camaro. I can't make up my mind because there are too many choices.

Trac-Loc posi

Auburn Posi

True-Trac gear type posi

Detroit Locker

Spool

I'm sure that there are more, but these are the ones I'm considering.

The car will be closer to 450+rwhp after a few more parts, plus it gets sprayed quite a bit. I do drag race it, but it sees a lot of street driving. However it is not my daily and will never be used as such, this is why I haven't ruled out the spool. When I'm on the gas I do not want to have one wheel spin like the stock posi did.

Please voice your opinions on the topic with an explanation of why, thanks.

true track hands down. had in it the camaro and it will also be in the new camaro, its awesome.

also its not a gear type posi its still a locker.

Is it similar in design to the zexel-torsion diff that came in my Camaro? I've never seen a tru-trac in person, how come it's described as a posi and not a locker?

Anyone ever seen one of these break? I've seen people bitching about them on LS1tech, but that kind of shit I take with a grain of salt.

For shear holding power and no slip I'd go spool...

And before all the haters out thier start spouting off about how it'll break gears or axels, ask them if it's ever happened to them or just some guy they know or read about on the internet...

It's cheaper and the best for straight line... If u carve corners or do high speed runs around the freeway do not buy a spool if a straight line is all you care about no one can tell me I'm wrong that a spool is the way to go....

IMHO a spool would be best for what you stated up top but if money is no object get the most expensive posi you can find cuz when you upgrade your engine like u will you don't want to have to buy another posi to hold it... With a spool it's bought once and put as much power to it you can...

Is it similar in design to the zexel-torsion diff that came in my Camaro? I've never seen a tru-trac in person, how come it's described as a posi and not a locker?

Anyone ever seen one of these break? I've seen people bitching about them on LS1tech, but that kind of shit I take with a grain of salt.

i know of a few cars over 800rw and they don't brake. they also are not drag raced.

hmm, they have changed some of the verbage since i bought mine. its helical gear-type limited slip and when i bought it they called it a gear type locker.

this is like what was in your camaro http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/PosiLSD/index.htm

true track

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm

no clutches to burn up.

i know of a few cars over 800rw and they don't brake. they also are not drag raced.

hmm, they have changed some of the verbage since i bought mine. its helical gear-type limited slip and when i bought it they called it a gear type locker.

this is like what was in your camaro http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/PosiLSD/index.htm

true track

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm

no clutches to burn up.

Truetrac looks very similar to the Torsen style diffs.

Tru trac is an awesome unit. The only down side to them is if you are going to run all out slicks. Depending on the force you put through it, you can explode it. Since it is gear driven, there is no clutch to give and if you have enough traction to keep the tires from spinning and are putting all of the power through the gears of the tru trac, under the right circumstances bad things can happen. If you are going to run full on slicks, I would go eaton posi. If you just plan to run drag radials I would go with the tru trac.

Tru trac is an awesome unit. The only down side to them is if you are going to run all out slicks. Depending on the force you put through it, you can explode it. Since it is gear driven, there is no clutch to give and if you have enough traction to keep the tires from spinning and are putting all of the power through the gears of the tru trac, under the right circumstances bad things can happen. If you are going to run full on slicks, I would go eaton posi. If you just plan to run drag radials I would go with the tru trac.

This is the type of response I wanted. Good info, thanks.

For shear holding power and no slip I'd go spool...

And before all the haters out thier start spouting off about how it'll break gears or axels, ask them if it's ever happened to them or just some guy they know or read about on the internet...

It's cheaper and the best for straight line... If u carve corners or do high speed runs around the freeway do not buy a spool if a straight line is all you care about no one can tell me I'm wrong that a spool is the way to go....

IMHO a spool would be best for what you stated up top but if money is no object get the most expensive posi you can find cuz when you upgrade your engine like u will you don't want to have to buy another posi to hold it... With a spool it's bought once and put as much power to it you can...

I am currently doing a 9" swap! I went with 35 spline and a SPOOL. I am tired of going thru all the levels of breakage. I just skipped it up to the best. This is my third build on the rear end.

I shouldn't break this one, Now clutch is the weak link :D