Re-Keying Locks

Fubar231

Can you re-key door locks like you can regular house locks? I ordered 2 sets of door locks for the supra since both driver side and passenger side dont work for my car, and they came in the mail both working with their own sets of keys yadadaa. Question is can i take these to a locksmith and have him re-key one of the sets for my key?

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,

Shane

I know how to do it on a GM lock, not sure about Toyota but it would shouldn't be too different. You would need an assortment of the proper tumblers though, best bet would be to call a Toyota parts department and see what they have to say.

I've done it with GM and Mazda locks. It was remarkably easy. I assume it can't be much different. Just lay out a cloth on a table, remove the tumber and springs from the cylinder and lay out each part, in proper order and position relative to the cylinder, on the cloth. The tumblers usually have numbers on them so record them. Then either repeat the process with the 2nd lock cylinder...Reassembling, in order, using the tumblers you removed from the first, or visit the dealer or locksmith to get new tumblers using the numbers marked on the originals, then reassemble.