Rotator Cuff or out of socket?

SPL_Josh

I had a MC crash (on a track) and front wheel washed out and i hit my shoulder and right quad into the pavement. Probably had a concussion as i had the worst headache (pressure) ive ever felt.

Now to my main concern my shoulder. (I gettting ahold of a chiroprator tomorrow)

I have almost full movement. Only mild pain on akward movements. So im leaning away from the possiblity of a RC (but is that a wrong assumption?)

My shoulder feels as it is "popping" or clicking --Maybe outta socket?

Pain/movement was horrible day after accident but seems to be getting better (less pain more movement)

Shoulder has some inflammation after extended use periods.

Anyone with previous experience that can help i would be GREATLY appricated.

I have no insurance:nutkick:

Guest tbutera2112
if it was a rotator cuff, you would feel it.... ilow sided a dirt bike and went down on mine and tore it, it felt like a broken shoulder...i couldnt physically move it up ....put your hands at your sides and try to lift your arms straight out to the side...you will know

josh, you need to get health insurance---for obvious reasons. there are options for people who don't have insurance. my advice is for you to cal 234-LIFE, and ask for the orthopedic resident clinic. it is a clinic for those without insurance and orthopedic problems at mt. carmel west--they will see you next wednesday, and you'll get a better answer than you will going to a chiropracter.

in short, your shoulder is NOT dislocated--

it is very likely you have a separated shoulder--most of which are treated non-operatively with rest from overhead and/or vigorous activities for 2-4 weeks. no need for a sling or any other fancy shit.

'on the record', my advice is always to get it checked out with a medical professional--x-rays, physical exam, and any other necessary testing.

I have no insurance:nutkick:

Step 1: Get fixed up and healthy.

Step 2: Don't do shit until you get health insurance. Young...single....it's cheap. Really, it is. You can even get a higher deductible if you really need to. Esurance or whatever that site is. I looked into it for the family when between jobs a while back.

My first thing was to see a chiropractor, he has worked with my family before and can look at me and provide advise for free, then xray if need be.

Second option was to get ahold of my powerlifting adviser/coach (she is a surgeon and could help me get really good care)

I chose these two options in this succession because of price vs help scenario

I understand that my health is no where to "go the cheap route" but i have limited money and need to exhaust the most cost efficient ways to maximize my funds so if i need to i can get the best treatment possible

Kirk Im very greatful for your professional advice, i will get definately get health insurance. Had really good insurance at my old job (didnt even have a co-pay, used the shit outta that lol).

I guess im relieved to hear its not a RC and something '"I" would consisder less serious.

if it was a rotator cuff, you would feel it.... ilow sided a dirt bike and went down on mine and tore it, it felt like a broken shoulder...i couldnt physically move it up ....put your hands at your sides and try to lift your arms straight out to the side...you will know

+1 mine is fucked for like though

Guest tbutera2112
likely a separated shoulder. this is what i do for a living every day. rotator cuffs are very rare in people in their 20's. could be a labral tear--those require surgery.

rare after bike wrecks? i was 16 when i tore mine, and it did tear (MRI confirmed)...i only went down at like 25-30mph

+1 mine is fucked for like though

i was young enough that mine has healed 100% ....at least, i think it has lol, it doesnt hurt anymore...did PT, steroids, exercise..and i use it every day at my job....doc wanted to do surgery, but i couldnt afford the time off so i just let it heal on its own...gotta love being young and healing quickly

If you end up needing an MRI. PROSCAN will do it for about $450 cash. As for needing health insurance. The premiums you pay may out weigh the cost associated with this injury. Go see the chiro, he will advise you and let you know if conservative treatment is appropriate. If it is something that will require surgery he will tell you.

rare after bike wrecks? i was 16 when i tore mine, and it did tear (MRI confirmed)...i only went down at like 25-30mph

I agree there. Age is not a factor when it come to a major trauma. I will agree they are more rare in younger people, but when trauma like a bike wreck is involved all bets are off.

We can speculate all day, but an exam and x-ray/MRI will be the most conclusive.

If you end up needing an MRI. PROSCAN will do it for about $450 cash. As for needing health insurance. The premiums you pay may out weigh the cost associated with this injury. Go see the chiro, he will advise you and let you know if conservative treatment is appropriate. If it is something that will require surgery he will tell you.

i won't bore you with the details, but a chiropracter is not going to be able to accurately convey to a patient the risk benefit/ratio, and/or possible outcomes of treating a type III separated shoulder, or a partial thickness rotator cuff tear with or without surgery--both conditions can be treated either way depending on the patient and other factors. sure, a type I or II shoulder separation, or a mild sprain can be treated by a chiropracter no problem.

going without health insurance is crazy if you ask me---one major injury--which is not unheard of, especially in someone who participates in activities mentioned by the o.p., can absolutely sink you financially. the premiums are worth it no matter what anyone says.

i won't bore you with the details, but a chiropracter is not going to be able to accurately convey to a patient the risk benefit/ratio, and/or possible outcomes of treating a type III separated shoulder, or a partial thickness rotator cuff tear with or without surgery--both conditions can be treated either way depending on the patient and other factors. sure, a type I or II shoulder separation, or a mild sprain can be treated by a chiropracter no problem.

Do you ever read a post or do you just spout off. Re read what I said. Can we treat a type III? No. That is why you have a job. Chances are he does not have a type III, but only an MRI will be able to definitively tell. You just stick to surgery and let the rest of us deal with those thousands of patients that don't require invasive procedures. Or would you rather corner the market so the medical "docters" (a play on your ignorance, just incase you could not tell) control everyones health care freedoms?

Do you ever read a post or do you just spout off. Re read what I said. Can we treat a type III? No. That is why you have a job. Chances are he does not have a type III, but only an MRI will be able to definitively tell. You just stick to surgery and let the rest of us deal with those thousands of patients that don't require invasive procedures. Or would you rather corner the market so the medical "docters" (a play on your ignorance, just incase you could not tell) control everyones health care freedoms?

i read your post. the problem is that you DON'T know how to diagnose a type II vs a type III, or a type V for that matter (i can virtually hear you 'googling' what a type V is right now). xray is used to determine whether its a type II vs. a type III--not an MRI. you just stick to giving back massages and 'life coaching' and let the people with actual medical training take care of patients with acute injuries. i know how to spell chiropractor. i will often spell it as chiropracter, just as i spell the country to the north of us "candida".

going without health insurance is crazy if you ask me---one major injury--which is not unheard of, especially in someone who participates in activities mentioned by the o.p., can absolutely sink you financially. the premiums are worth it no matter what anyone says.

+ 1 million, I learned the hard way. No insurance, hurt my back one day, and when all was said and done it cost me $2k. OUCH :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tbutera2112
That wouldn't have even covered your deductible unless you pay a lot in premiums.

i have a 1k deductible for the entire year, and pay no premiums :D