HID's for $30???

zeitgeist57

It's not very hard to adjust your headlights down.

I have HID for the headlights and fog lights for the Avalanche...I don't get anyone flashing their high beams at me.

its better anyways to use projector headlights, a lot of stock housings you cant aim correctly and cause a lot of glare blinding people.

• 2 weeks later...
its better anyways to use projector headlights, a lot of stock housings you cant aim correctly and cause a lot of glare blinding people.

A lot of vehicles don't have anything other than the stock housing option. It wasn't hard to adjust down the headlights. Truck has had them for years without complaints from other drivers.

It's not very hard to adjust your headlights down.

I have HID for the headlights and fog lights for the Avalanche...I don't get anyone flashing their high beams at me.

you don t understand if you're saying this

:eek::eek:

the HID in a reflector housing that wasn t designed for it makes for horrible scattering of light.............. The Prius (methinks) has OEM HIDs in a housing that was designed for it, do it s OK then.

Most projector housings can accept an HID well enough to "work" but not fully. It s legions better than reflectors. When used with HIDs, however, these lights become somewhat dangerous. They cause unacceptable amounts of glare to oncoming drivers, and because of their halogen E-code (european regulation) upticks, blind oncoming drivers in right-hand curves and drivers on the right on multi-lane roads.

Because these projectors send much of the light directly forward, they create significant hotspots in the center of beam pattern, which are quite a bit above the acceptable level of illumination. This amount of light leads drivers to believe that their lights are brighter, and therefore safer. However, in reality, these very bright hotspots cause tunnel-vision and significant eye strain and fatigue.

Any projector that is not designed for HID bulbs and instead relies on a "rebased" kit (such as the H1 kits sold for E36 euro ellipsoids) is subject to all these problems, and is not an proper HID solution, and using HID kits in these projectors is not by any means ideal.

Proper HID projectors are usually manufactured by Stanley, Koito, Bosch, AL, Magneti Marelli, Valeo, ZKW, or Hella. These HID projectors accept D2S or D1S (other bulbs like D3S and D4S, which are mercury-free, are sometimes used, but usually D2S or D1S) capsules made by Philips or Osram-Sylvania, who are the only two OEM suppliers of HID capsules (bulbs).

In lighting systems that utilize proper HID projectors, there will be little or no glare caused to other drivers (this depends on headlight design), there will be a solid, horizontal, defined cutoff pattern with a slight horizontal uptick, and most importantly, NO HOTSPOTS.

The ideal lighting is a very balanced and even spread of light (with a gradual brightness increase towards the center, but no hotspots). This can only be achieved with proper HID projectors.