spring help!

xTHExBOSSx46

this is on my cobalt. im installing new springs. did the same install on my brothers car and had zero issues. but for some reason this nut wont come off of mine. im taking an impact gun to it and it just spins. this is not an actual picture of my car but one i found online. but the finger pointing is to the nut i cant get off. any ideas on how to do this? maybe my air compressor doesnt pack enough pressure for this nut? also there is some rust so maybe the nut is siezed on the bolt?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=443&pictureid=4227

do not use heat you'll fuck up that link pin you may have already wasted it by letting it spin..... on the back side of the strut that stud should have wrench flats or a squareish spot where you can get vice grips in and hold it while you turn the nut off with your impact

do not use heat you'll fuck up that link pin you may have already wasted it by letting it spin..... on the back side of the strut that stud should have wrench flats or a squareish spot where you can get vice grips in and hold it while you turn the nut off with your impact

i should have mentioned i tried that. its round and has no flat spots. i asked on a cobalt forum and everyone said a compressor with more pressure would have worked initially. im taking it to my buddy's shop tomorrow during my lunch break to see what he can do. till then ill still take suggestions cause its still in the driveway.

Guest tbutera2112
i should have mentioned i tried that. its round and has no flat spots. i asked on a cobalt forum and everyone said a compressor with more pressure would have worked initially. im taking it to my buddy's shop tomorrow during my lunch break to see what he can do. till then ill still take suggestions cause its still in the driveway.

ummmm are you sure? i just did this job on my saab not long ago and its almost the EXACT setup from a cobalt (my saab sat on a GM chassis, and even used GM struts like yours)....theres a flat spot on the back side for a 17mm wrench, mine was kinda hard to find like it was behind tucked behind the boot real well

Guest tbutera2112

yea its really in there....i almost tore the boot getting the wrench on there....those bolts are annoying as hell....if you dont get it tonight, give me a call tomorrow and ill swing by in the morning and give you a hand if youd like....i just did strut bearings in mine, and depending how nasty yours look, you may be forced to do them as well while youre doing springs....hope you have a little money set aside for that...mine like disintegrated lol...and my car was an 04

614 425 5463

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/0430101231.jpg

the rusted set literally fell apart as soon as the spring pressure was relieved...also, you need a special tool to get the strut hat off...its a REALLY stupid design...they say to rig up some stupid tool, but really, get a strong impact on it and it will zip right off....putting it back on would be a bitch without the tool, and they say not to impact it on or it may damage it, but if you use a smaller impact and youre careful, you should be fine...thats how i did mine and had no issues

the tool uses a combination of sockets and an allen wrench etc if you wanna rig it up, heres how

http://trolltuner.com/?p=74

^ i tried that method and it didnt work, so i just used an impact

used one like this to reinstall, and i was careful...just enough to get it on there nice without the force of a full impact gun

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oat2IOudL.jpg

to remove the hat, i used a full size 1/2" impact though

nope! unfortunately when i pulled the boot back there was nothing to put a wrench on. there are no flat surfaces. when i first went to loosen it it came off about two threads so its just barely, not tight enough on there. if i try to tighten it back on it just spins, just like if i try and loosen it. so when i drive and hit minor bumps or cracks in the road i hear it and feel it wobbling in there lol. im screwed. im probably gunna have to grind it off and buy a new one or take it to a shop.