Leaking 12-bolt

V8 Beast

There's the "right" way: taking it all apart, using new sleeve and nut, re-checking everything...

then there's the "it's worked 1000 times and all is ok" method of marking the nut, removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the nut with the same thread count as it started with.

You're talking $150-$200 for a shop to the do it the first way, and $10 and some of your time to do it the second way. :)

Columbus Racing Sponsers.

/thread

Unless it's dripping on the ground, I wouldn't worry about it.

Its on the ground... From my years of dealing with this thing I dont think any of the sponsors here deal with Strange. Only sponsor here I have ever had do work for me on this thing is LaSota. All my other threads and pms eded up with me in my garage by myself or with Ant doing the do it yourself thing.

Its on the ground... From my years of dealing with this thing I dont think any of the sponsors here deal with Strange. Only sponsor here I have ever had do work for me on this thing is LaSota. All my other threads and pms eded up with me in my garage by myself or with Ant doing the do it yourself thing.

It is just a 12 bolt, I don't understand why it being a Strange would matter. I've learned my lesson about doing side work that's too involved, like affecting the set-up of your rear end, to really want to help, but there has to be good places that work on axle set-ups who can do this for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured out what happened.. I have an aftermarket aluminum cover on my diff. I have heard, read and been told to fill it to the fill hole. I drained it and measured the amount to find I was a quart and a half over full. Its not leaking anymore so I think I lucked out and figured it out before all the excess pressure blew the pinion seal.

Moral of the story... be careful the advice you get and give when dealing with aftermarket parts. They are all different.

P.S. I lost another shirt and shorts to that nasty ass smell that gear oil produces :lol:

Figured out what happened.. I have an aftermarket aluminum cover on my diff. I have heard, read and been told to fill it to the fill hole. I drained it and measured the amount to find I was a quart and a half over full. Its not leaking anymore so I think I lucked out and figured it out before all the excess pressure blew the pinion seal.

Moral of the story... be careful the advice you get and give when dealing with aftermarket parts. They are all different.

Your rear should still have a hole like the 10 bolt had, this is the fill level, not the hole in the cover.

Your rear should still have a hole like the 10 bolt had, this is the fill level, not the hole in the cover.

It doesnt. It can hold almost 4 quarts of gear oil.

When I ordered mine from strange they didnt make them with the traditional fill holes. The ones they started making around 2008/2009 do have them.

Huh, okay I can't say I've ever seen a Strange 12 bolt. Glad you took care of it.

Huh, is exactly what I said after I called strange. A lot of people with old 12 bolts have blown seals because almost every other diff in the world has fill holes.

use 3 qts and call it done. on a fast drag application u run with it evan with the middle of the axels. any rear. becaue the fuid will move back and try to uncover the gears. on a street strip is less usually just below the axel.or -1/2 to 3/4 qt. depending on rear

Huh, okay I can't say I've ever seen a Strange 12 bolt. Glad you took care of it.

same here but as far as my moser 12bolt i have a fill and drain in the rear cover and hole in the side of the housing which is the level you fill to not the top hole on the cover.