Anyone have dog door?

wnaplay1647545503

Anyone have a dog door? I am curious to see if you like it because I am thinking of doing one. It would be the outside, heavy duty version with security panel. We really only need it for when were on vacation and we dont want someone to have to come over several times a day. My concerns is with resale when theres a huge hole in the siding, I can patch everything else fairly easily but the aluminum siding would be a pain. It is painted so I coud match it colorwise, but just replacing the piece would be a pain. We have a large dog so its not a tiny hole.

we had a doggy door in our last house on the back door.... it was great... only catch to it was the dogs got bored one day and ate the flap....

I don't think I'd cut a hole in the side of the house or anything, but as far as re-sale, if the buyer doesn't like a doggy door in the back door, they can just replace the door.

Once our new house is built, we will probably put one in the side access garage door after the fence goes up.

My question is, if you are going on vacation and have a "large" dog are you comfortable having an easy access point into your house for burglars? Or how do they lock so no-one can get in? '

EDIT: now that I re-read the original post, whats a security panel do on one of these?

If someone is going to get into my house then there not going to use this small door. Its not extremely large. The security panel goes in from the inside and is just a solid panel. It cannot be used if the dog is to get in and out. Everything on this house is an easy access point. They wouldnt get much and insurance would replace whatever they took.