I stripped my drain plug - HELP

Zorro

Ok, I was changing my oil yesterday and to make a long sh*tty story short...I stripped the threads on my drain plug. Not the bolt itself...but the threads on the bike.

Besides for setting this on fire and making an insurance claim...how do I fix this?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The threads are stripped on the drain plug, or the oil pan? If it's just the plug, go get another one. They're cheap. If it's the pan, like Yota said you'll need to retap the threads. Not that bad. Or maybe find a cheap used pan?

The threads are stripped on the drain plug, or the oil pan? If it's just the plug, go get another one. They're cheap. If it's the pan, like Yota said you'll need to retap the threads. Not that bad. Or maybe find a cheap used pan?

It's on the pan. A new oem pan with gasket is under $150. I don't mind paying this. However, if i have trouble changing the oil...I'm sure the f'up the bike more by trying to change the pan.

couldnt he just heli coil it?

Flounder suggested this as well. I was skimming the instructions for a helicoil...my main concern would be drilling the helicoil and having metal shavings stay in the pan and causing engine damage. Thoughts?

Flounder suggested this as well. I was skimming the instructions for a helicoil...my main concern would be drilling the helicoil and having metal shavings stay in the pan and causing engine damage. Thoughts?

i know jermattak did this to his bike. hopefully he will chime in or you could pm him

go to advance autoparts and they have a spark plug thread repair kit made by helicoil you dont have to drill at all, and it works very well

Really?! Wow...thanks!

another suggestion that was given to me was to put a washer or two on the plug and try again. Thoughts?

Really?! Wow...thanks!

another suggestion that was given to me was to put a washer or two on the plug and try again. Thoughts?

i dont see how just putting a couple washers on the plug will hold it in there if the threads are stripped

It's on the pan. A new oem pan with gasket is under $150. I don't mind paying this. However, if i have trouble changing the oil...I'm sure the f'up the bike more by trying to change the pan.

I wouldn't helicoil it. If you end up replacing the pan, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Either way zorro, you will need to pull the pan to do the work as it will make it easier to work on.. Im more then willing to help you, Just let me know. Options are Heli coil, new pan, or spark plug kit shitty was talking about. By the way, the idea with the washers is that you may have some threads in the pan that are still good and the washers will compress a bit to provide a tight fit for the remaining threads.. DONT TAKE THE CHANCE WITH WASHERS.. DO IT RIGHT.. that last thing you want is for it to let go when your riding.

either way zorro, you will need to pull the pan to do the work as it will make it easier to work on.. Im more then willing to help you, just let me know. Options are heli coil, new pan, or spark plug kit shitty was talking about. By the way, the idea with the washers is that you may have some threads in the pan that are still good and the washers will compress a bit to provide a tight fit for the remaining threads.. Dont take the chance with washers.. Do it right.. That last thing you want is for it to let go when your riding.

+128917623817263817263

Really?! Wow...thanks!

the plug is longer than the pan is deep so I dont see washers helping. If your plug fell out I could see oil shooting all over everyone during a group ride and causing someone to wreck, then everyone would leave that person. Then you would have to worry about dodging their calls.

If you dont want to take the pan off get a shop vac and while you are turning the tap keep suction at the tap, then run a quart of crappy oil through the motor to try and flush out any additional shavings. The drain bolt is the lowest point in the oiling system so any shavings shouldnt go anywhere.

I think you would be better pulling the pan but it does seem like you have a little issue over tightening bolts :p

ive never had good luck with helicoils for oil pans... they always seem to start leaking again in a month or two...

as for the shavings. IMO put lots of grease on the drill bit and tap and go very slowly.

here is a link, you dont have to drill. do not buy it from ace hardware, they charge too much. When I get home i will look for the tap and you would only have to buy the threads, which should only be a couple of bucks

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/helicoil-sava-thread-spark-plug-repair-kit-p-70128.html?ref=42

Sorry to hear this man. Back in 2004 I over tightened the bolt and split the pan all the way down the threads. Had to replace my whole pan because it was ruined. Sucked too because I had to remove the radiator, then pipe, to get the pan off. The radiator blocked the pipe, then the pipe blocked the pan. It sucked! It was an '03 636.

Hope you get it fixed fellow java coder. :D