I stripped my drain plug - HELP

Zorro

helicoil it, its fine, actually if anything its BETTER than buying a new pan, steel and aluminum dont get along together verywell, and the helicoils are steel. This way, your threading steel into steel, and the chance of you stripping that again is lower. Ive talked to a few racer guys, and they say thats what the ama guys do when they get the bike, helicoil all the aluminum holes in the bike so they dont have to worry about stripping stuff when their crew is changing stuff really fast

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all those who responded.

I called Hinds...they quoted me around $300 for installation. I think I may just let them do the work. I'm a computer geek...not a mechanic.

jerm,

if I take your advice and do the helicoil...do I have to remove the pan to install the helicoil?

I called Hinds...they quoted me around $300 for installation. I think I may just let them do the work. I'm a computer geek...not a mechanic.

jerm,

if I take your advice and do the helicoil...do I have to remove the pan to install the helicoil?

see if you can get the pan back incase this happens again. save youself another 300 bones.

jerm,

i didnt, the instructions are with it, drill, tap, insert helicoil, its pretty simple, you can do it!

Edited by jermattak

OF all places you are going to take it to it has to be Hinds??????? dude your crazy. pay somebody on here to do it.

why am i crazy to take it there? They've done all the service on my R1 - 16k miles on it without issue. what horror stories haven't i heard?

any dealer for that matter, buy a shop manual, do all the work yourself, if you still cant figure something out, you have us :cheers:

Did you read this post from the start? I was changing my oil and look where I am. I appreciate the advice...but I have zero confidence in any self-maintenance projects. Hell, I'm scared to remove the reflectors now!

torque wrench is a handy tool, see, now you know! its all part of learning, you fuck shit up, and you fix it! do it yourself and you learn how to change your oil, and repair stripped threads, drilling, tapping, helicoiling, you learn alot when you screw stuff up.

just try it, if all else fails, buy a pan, and do that yourself, its super easy too, easier than repairing it.

heli-coil=better than stock

$300 is far too much when it can be fixed for less than 20$ (if i remember right)

do what you wish, im just saying, it feels good to do it yourself and learn new skills, it will pay off now, and later down the road when more problems come up. And i disagree with you papa, remember how MOC (i think) changed a few of our members oil, and people crashed? i trust my torque wrench over someones word that they used one. This is a simple task, as long as its tightened to spec, it will not leak. Push your limits as a mechanic, obviusly dont go rebuild your forks at first, or anything like that, but try stuff you havent before, if you fuck up, fix it, or tell us and we will help you

dude it seems as tho youre not necessarily mechanically inclined so you are smart in letting someone else do the work for you, but i would not recommend taking it to a dealer. i knew nothing about bikes before i got mine, but i can prolly hang with the best of em now when it comes to wrenchin on that thing. if you dont want to take the time to learn help support the economy and have one of the bright young/old guys off here do the job and pay attention to what they do so you can do it yourself the next time

Hey, thanks to all of those that responded. I did some pricing on bikebandit and parts (pan, gasket, plug, and plug gasket) would cost me around 160 + s/h (I don't know what the s/h would be). APCh8r had me call Iron Pony Yamaha shop. They're getting me out the door at $265...so I'm guessing that's around $100 in labor if I bought the parts myself. Now, they'll be responsible. Hopefully they'll do a good job since they're a new shop and want to make a name for themselves.

I'm asking for the old pan. I'll consider this my "heli coil practice pan".

Again, thanks to all those who responded. I'd do it myself...but with this cold weather and my obvious novice wrenching skills, I don't want to struggle thru this.

Hey, thanks to all of those that responded. I did some pricing on bikebandit and parts (pan, gasket, plug, and plug gasket) would cost me around 160 + s/h (I don't know what the s/h would be). APCh8r had me call Iron Pony Yamaha shop. They're getting me out the door at $265...so I'm guessing that's around $100 in labor if I bought the parts myself. Now, they'll be responsible. Hopefully they'll do a good job since they're a new shop and want to make a name for themselves.

I'm asking for the old pan. I'll consider this my "heli coil practice pan".

Again, thanks to all those who responded. I'd do it myself...but with this cold weather and my obvious novice wrenching skills, I don't want to struggle thru this.

Seriously, an oil pan is just a few bolts and gasket. What do you think is harder, a simple oil pan or when I pulled the motor and split the case on my YZ and rebuilt everything. Offer is on the table but if you want to spend the extra coin to feel better about it, then thats your choice and understandable..

Seriously, an oil pan is just a few bolts and gasket. What do you think is harder, a simple oil pan or when I pulled the motor and split the case on my YZ and rebuilt everything. Offer is on the table but if you want to spend the extra coin to feel better about it, then thats your choice and understandable..

Thanks for the offer. Not that I think you can't do it, I'm just gonna let IP do it. I already ordered the parts and made an appt.

How far from all the way in was the plug before you realized it was cross threaded?

If not all but all the way, just re tap the damn thing and if you're that worried about couple of metal shards making it past the magnetic drain plug, buy some crap cycle oil and run through it before you put it back on the road.

How far from all the way in was the plug before you realized it was cross threaded?

If not all but all the way, just re tap the damn thing and if you're that worried about couple of metal shards making it past the magnetic drain plug, buy some crap cycle oil and run through it before you put it back on the road.

I didnt cross thread it...i over tightened. I got a torque wrench and thought I would do everything to specs. I put the filter on with 12 ft lbs...no problem. I adjusted the wrench to the drain plug's setting 31 ft lbs. I tightened it...and tightened it...thinking "this wrench better give way soon". The wrench was stronger than the threads on the oil pan. I've changed the oil on my first bike (cbr f3) and changed the oil on my quad. I never used a torque wrench - I just made it snug. live and learn.