I stripped my drain plug - HELP

Zorro

31 foot pounds? That seems high to me.

I double checked the paper work and the wrench before I touched the bolt. I've since checked too many times. When I was tightening it, it felt like I was over-tightening it, to be honest. But, I was thinking the wrench would 'break' any second. F it. $265 lesson learned.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mang... I didn't read anything but the 1st few posts but I'm leaving in a second so I have to get this in...

ANY way you go, your going to have to take the pan off. I would drill it out smooth the next size up, re-tap it, and put the next size plug in. No big deal. You will get shavings in the pan no matter what you do, that's why you have to take it off...

Even a heli-coil will cut shavings off.

I've done it on my civic... No big deal...

I saw a guy drill one out once with the pan on and re-tap. No leaks. BUT, he thought that the oil filter would just catch the shavings... Wrong. Oil filters have a spring loaded valve that lets oil pass under high pressure...

Do it right...

If someone already said this... Sorry...

Hey mang... I didn't read anything but the 1st few posts but I'm leaving in a second so I have to get this in...

ANY way you go, your going to have to take the pan off. I would drill it out smooth the next size up, re-tap it, and put the next size plug in. No big deal. You will get shavings in the pan no matter what you do, that's why you have to take it off...

Even a heli-coil will cut shavings off.

I've done it on my civic... No big deal...

I saw a guy drill one out once with the pan on and re-tap. No leaks. BUT, he thought that the oil filter would just catch the shavings... Wrong. Oil filters have a spring loaded valve that lets oil pass under high pressure...

Do it right...

If someone already said this... Sorry...

Thanks. I'm getting a new pan. End of story :)

Because I still have to remove the pan and reinstall it. If I can't change the oil...do you really think I'm capable of doing this?! :)

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. I'll keep this in mind for the next time!

:nono: But you could save monies doing it with some help

True. However, I thought that with my initial oil change. :) Look at it this way, I'm doing my part to keep IP afloat so the govt wont have to provide the motorcycle industry with a bailout!

Just wanted to let you all know that Iron Pony did the fix on my bike and they did a pretty good job (so far). No leaks, done the same day that I dropped it off. They gave me my spare parts and added the oil that I brought with me. They helped loading it in my truck as well. I would take my bike back for service if needed.

I would take the pan off and retap it. eat the $10 for a gasket. I"m sure you can rent a tap set from autozone or advanced autoparts, plus they give you your money back once you returned the rented item. And dont cross tread the bolt when you put it back in like you did last time.

heli-coils don't always work. i work on 2 and 4 stroke engines and when i get a spark plug that's stripped i use a product thats called "time-sert screw thread inserts." i don't know if this will work on your application but they work great on stripped heads for new spark plug threads. i own the tools to do it ( $200 for the kit, dont buy it unless you use it A LOT) but i dont know where you're located? maybe call time-sert and see if you can get an insert they usually run 7 bucks?!?!? if your near central ohio i could let you use the tools.... www.time-sert.com and the process is fairly clean.. let me know.... sorry i ramble...

Just wanted to let you all know that Iron Pony did the fix on my bike and they did a pretty good job (so far). No leaks, done the same day that I dropped it off. They gave me my spare parts and added the oil that I brought with me. They helped loading it in my truck as well. I would take my bike back for service if needed.

I didnt even know they did shit like that?

Good to know.