Which turbo

TurboNova

Opinions from turbo people

5.3l lsx truck engine, ls1 car intake, 2001 z06 ls6 cam, 317 truck 6.0 heads, flipped c6 manifolds, 8.5:1, e85 fuel

mp t70 .96 new

mp t76 .96 new

turbonetics p trim t76 .96 ar "hp inducer wheel" fresh rebuilt same price as new mpt76

Its going in my nova and want 600whp efficently on e85 i know both mp turbos will work just seeing if there are reasons to go turbonetics

what do u mean heavy wheel? Slow spool?

From my understanding the comp. wheel is heavier then most. I'd spend the extra money and go billet wheel if you can afford it. I wish I could sell my Turbonetics T76BB and go to a Precision Billet T76, spool about 800-1000rpm quicker.

yeah I dont know I get so many mixed results, some say just turn the boost up and have fun.

But also not sure if with 8.5:1 if I should just run pump gas. I already have the heads and dont plan on shaving them, so 8.5:1 is what I am looking at.

Opinions?

mine is 8.4 it does take a little to spool a 88. id say with a 70 ud still be ok. would proably idle sooner with a little more compression but. i dont think it will kill you.

at your powr level the 8.5 and the amount of boost ull need should run real cool and be very reliable. post lots of pics of the build. steves camaro with a ls2 stock bottom end 6l heads and intake with a 70mm from chad made 550whp on 11lbs. i believe. he switched to a 76mm mp76mm q trim its good to 1032. and a 1.00 exh housing. most of his problem was the oil return and the way too small exh housing on the 70mm.

yeah I dont know I get so many mixed results, some say just turn the boost up and have fun.

But also not sure if with 8.5:1 if I should just run pump gas. I already have the heads and dont plan on shaving them, so 8.5:1 is what I am looking at.

Opinions?

From an engineering point of view (ideals):

You'll make more power with boost and lower CR. Mainly three reasons for this:

1) Lower peak temp at the end of the compression stroke

2) Higher average cyl pressure (iMEP) with respect to peak cyl pressure

3) Intercooling (you can't cool the air charge at the end of the compression stroke)

As noted, you are giving up the chemical/thermal efficiency yields on a lower compression ratio, but consider how much:

On paper, a jump from 8.5:1 to 9.5:1 would increase power output about 3%. Increasing boost 1psi (say 14-15psi) would increase airflow (mass airflow) by 3.5-3.6%. Upping boost by 2psi nets 7-9% return. Keep in mind, the lower CR, higher boost engine will still have lower changes in temp and pressure.

u wont need high boost. arround 11 lbs and you should see your numbers. rember the exh becomes a restriction. a v8 with 600 hp isint gona like a single 3" exh. lot of pre turbo back pressure. reason why he went with the 76. 3.5" dp.

that eleminator pump will work perfect. dont know about inj since im carbed but it sounds correct.

why did you go with the ls1 intake and not ls6??? or did you mod your ls1 to the ls6 style???

This is a complete budget build, it is a DIY hot side and a mp turbo. Most of my money is tied up in the turbo and fuel system then bov and wastegate. The truck intake flows better but I like the Ls1 intake looks

plus I have seen a bunch of t70 powered 5.3s with ls1 intakes go 9.90 and up.

Still collecting parts but here in a month or so I will start a build thread. I have about 50% of the parts, just deal shopping before I buy the rest of the stuff new.