cam only ta vs sti

99ta

Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should. Your lucky that 200 shot of NOS didn't bow the welds of your intake manifold...

BOW

BOW

Your lucky that 200 shot of NOS didn't bow the welds of your intake manifold

HAIR BOW?

http://empautaufs.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/lady_gaga_hair_bow_c.jpg

The STI's gearing is not set up well for this kind of racing. But he also couldn't shift. With his mods he should have been in the 350+ awhp range, and with about 200-300lbs less weight, he should have been able to keep up. Gearing and slow shifting are what killed him.

Though frankly, roll-racing in a AWD car is just stupid.

That STi sure didn't sound like it had an equal length header to me, equal length header = sounds like an EVO or any other inline 4 that sounds like a pissed off weed wacker. That car still had the "boxer" sound. Not that I really care. I had my POS walked by an Fat ass 05 GTO with just Exhaust. Fuck you DJ. :)

The STI's gearing is not set up well for this kind of racing. But he also couldn't shift. With his mods he should have been in the 350+ awhp range, and with about 200-300lbs less weight, he should have been able to keep up. Gearing and slow shifting are what killed him.

Thats what he said but he took it to Jay racing and they said his computer is locked so they couldnt tune it....he said it cuts out in between gears?

Thats what he said but he took it to Jay racing and they said his computer is locked so they couldnt tune it....he said it cuts out in between gears?

No stock computer is locked. Only locked ECUs I know of were from a particular mail-in tuner. I forget the name, but their paranoia over OpenSource tuning and the shennanigans they pulled to "protect their IP" pretty much killed their business.

As far as cutting out between gears, it's possible the previous owner had a BOV and tuned it to cut the fuel between shifts. But I'm really stretching here. No matter what the reasons, if what he's saying it true, it's a crap tune and running as he is is only killing the engine slowly. Do shit right or go home. And this includes roll racing a Subaru.

And yeah, Subie rumble means UNequal length headers.

That STi sure didn't sound like it had an equal length header to me, equal length header = sounds like an EVO or any other inline 4 that sounds like a pissed off weed wacker. That car still had the "boxer" sound. Not that I really care. I had my POS walked by an Fat ass 05 GTO with just Exhaust. Fuck you DJ. :)

Not sure if it's equal length but it's for sure an after market header.

No stock computer is locked. Only locked ECUs I know of were from a particular mail-in tuner. I forget the name, but their paranoia over OpenSource tuning and the shennanigans they pulled to "protect their IP" pretty much killed their business.

As far as cutting out between gears, it's possible the previous owner had a BOV and tuned it to cut the fuel between shifts. But I'm really stretching here. No matter what the reasons, if what he's saying it true, it's a crap tune and running as he is is only killing the engine slowly. Do shit right or go home. And this includes roll racing a Subaru.

And yeah, Subie rumble means UNequal length headers.

Have tried to get into the computer several times with ecu flash and it's just not happening, the bov is uncirulated and needs to be recirculated so it's goin rich as balls in between shifts, right now the air fuel is around 11.2ish at 20 pounds. He just got the car a couple weeks ago from a dealership who knew nothing about it at all, and we are still finding things about it.

Most likely it's married to an accessport. Find said Accessport or send the ECU to cobb and get it unmarried.

He said he is getting a recirculating BOV something from COBB and injectors and a tune....should be stronger but have no clue how much stronger as I know nothing about these cars...

Why? Minus the dangers of roll racing, of course, since I'm sure that's not what you are referring to. You're awful 'judgey'. ;)

Why? Minus the dangers of roll racing, of course, since I'm sure that's not what you are referring to. You're awful 'judgey'. ;)

AWD has a much greater drivetrain loss than 2WD, so you're writing off power right there that could be used to win. But the big reason is that by agreeing to roll race, he's bargaining away his biggest advantage. It's like the TA guy agreeing to race with Prius tires on the back. Wrong tool for the job. If someone wants to drag race or roll race, there are TONS of better cars out there for the job.

I love the STI, but it's just not a drag racer. If I was interested in drag racing, I'd probably have an f-body or mustang. When you're seeing about 100% weight transfer, AWD is hinderance not a benefit.

To 1bad95gt:

Didn't realize you knew the guy. He'll likely have to mail the ECU to Cobb to have it unmarried/reflashed. I'm pretty sure you can D/L and reflash an ECU that's married to an AccessPORT, so it's likely it was that other company (ECUTek! Just remembered the name.) But Cobb will be able to wipe it and reflash a base map.

The BOV was hurting him definitely, I'm glad he sees reason and is getting rid of it for a BPV. I would strongly recommend that you, as a friend, tell him to stop hammering on his car until it's tuned properly. He busts a ringland he can write off the shortblock and possibly a head.

If the pump is stock, he'll need to upgrade it as well. The stock fuel pump can just handle the stock injectors. Both need to be upgraded at the same time. There's a HUGE thread at IWSTI.com about IDCs and doing just a pump or just injectors. The improvements of just doing one or the other are marginal at best and the only REAL results were found by upgrading both. As above, do it right the first time.

There's a lot of hissing in the video too. Does he have an external wastegate that dumps to atmosphere? If not, it's either the BOV leaking, or an up-pipe leak. Probably the UP though.. Check all the header's gaskets for carbon; especially the one at the UP flange.

Oh, and if he hasn't yet, get a Compression and Leakdown test before he does anything more to the car. Best to know if the engine is sound before spending more money.

AWD has a much greater drivetrain loss than 2WD, so you're writing off power right there that could be used to win. But the big reason is that by agreeing to roll race, he's bargaining away his biggest advantage. It's like the TA guy agreeing to race with Prius tires on the back. Wrong tool for the job. If someone wants to drag race or roll race, there are TONS of better cars out there for the job.

I love the STI, but it's just not a drag racer. If I was interested in drag racing, I'd probably have an f-body or mustang. When you're seeing about 100% weight transfer, AWD is hinderance not a benefit.

To 1bad95gt:

Didn't realize you knew the guy. He'll likely have to mail the ECU to Cobb to have it unmarried/reflashed. I'm pretty sure you can D/L and reflash an ECU that's married to an AccessPORT, so it's likely it was that other company (ECUTek! Just remembered the name.) But Cobb will be able to wipe it and reflash a base map.

The BOV was hurting him definitely, I'm glad he sees reason and is getting rid of it for a BPV. I would strongly recommend that you, as a friend, tell him to stop hammering on his car until it's tuned properly. He busts a ringland he can write off the shortblock and possibly a head.

If the pump is stock, he'll need to upgrade it as well. The stock fuel pump can just handle the stock injectors. Both need to be upgraded at the same time. There's a HUGE thread at IWSTI.com about IDCs and doing just a pump or just injectors. The improvements of just doing one or the other are marginal at best and the only REAL results were found by upgrading both. As above, do it right the first time.

There's a lot of hissing in the video too. Does he have an external wastegate that dumps to atmosphere? If not, it's either the BOV leaking, or an up-pipe leak. Probably the UP though.. Check all the header's gaskets for carbon; especially the one at the UP flange.

Oh, and if he hasn't yet, get a Compression and Leakdown test before he does anything more to the car. Best to know if the engine is sound before spending more money.

Yeah the car's wastegate is dumped, he just picked up the car in Southern Florida and drove it home about 3 weeks ago, I think he is going to go with COBB and get a recirculated BOV soon, the car also has a frozen lifter on cold starts so that is also going to be addressed.