Thoughts on a Mk 1 Audi TT

Sparky

TT Quattros feel like a smaller, underpowered version of the 350Z IMO. The weight makes them understeer a bit too much, and they don't have enough power to compensate for it. Still, I'm 6'3" and I found myself enjoying the ride quite a bit. Despite the piggish handling, the suspension stiffness and closeness to the ground makes it a very fun car to drive. Just don't have any aspirations of going fast.

EDIT: Also, despite what I said about the understeer, it is a very predictable car. I do remember being very impressed when I took an onramp at about 80 mph and just used my right foot to steer; it actually felt like a sports car the way you organically felt the rear end of the car slipping under trailing throttle, instead of feeling numb until the back end has broken loose.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the 225 ever produced with the S-Line package?

I guess I'm still on the fence about what to get. I've been driving my dad's A8 until I pick up something else and I'm getting used to the idea of an auto. Then again when I got a car that can actually take corners a bit better I may miss a 6-speed again.

Oh, and I'd love a VRT but that's way out of my price range not to mention I need a DD and not a toy. As far as tuning goes the 225 is the economical way to go.

Were there any issues with the first generation DSG's?

no way, 1.8T is a torqueless bastard. I'm pretty confident saying my VR6 would walk my old 337 with all it's bolt-ons. a BT 1.8T is a different story.

I would bet money on a stg 2 1.8T owning a VR6.

The weight makes them understeer a bit too much, and they don't have enough power to compensate for it. Still, I'm 6'3" and I found myself enjoying the ride quite a bit. Despite the piggish handling, the suspension stiffness and closeness to the ground makes it a very fun car to drive. Just don't have any aspirations of going fast.

EDIT: Also, despite what I said about the understeer, it is a very predictable car. I do remember being very impressed when I took an onramp at about 80 mph and just used my right foot to steer; it actually felt like a sports car the way you organically felt the rear end of the car slipping under trailing throttle, instead of feeling numb until the back end has broken loose.

Almost every single car produced is TUNED for understeer. Audi's do this more than others because they usually have the engine in front of the front axle, which is not ideal. HOWEVER, Audi has done wonders making their cars handle well, even stock. And comparing an AWD sports coupe to a true sports car (350Z) isn't exactly fair.

The 225 weighs 3200lbs, with AWD. Add an aftermarket suspension to the TT, and they handle VERY well, rotating the rear easily.

Was the 225 ever produced with the S-Line package?

I guess I'm still on the fence about what to get. I've been driving my dad's A8 until I pick up something else and I'm getting used to the idea of an auto. Then again when I got a car that can actually take corners a bit better I may miss a 6-speed again.

I don't think the S-line came out on the Entire Audi line until 04. The A4 had the ultrasport, the A6 S-line and TT 3.2.

DSG is great, but 99% of the time its like driving a regular auto. Great when driving it hard, and great when tired, but boring as hell 99% of the time. Its actually exactly the opposite of what you said. DSG is great in the twisties, but boring everywhere else.

Oh, and I'd love a VRT but that's way out of my price range not to mention I need a DD and not a toy. As far as tuning goes the 225 is the economical way to go.

Were there any issues with the first generation DSG's?

Not sure on the early DSG issues. Pretty sure the programming is different, but the actual trans is the same one used until the new wet clutch designs in the 2010 S4's.

Too bad I can't really think of any STG 2 1.8Ts that would take you up on that offer :(

Too bad, I could use some more cash!

Ok, what about my itty bitty 2.0T ? Same tiny k03 turbo, and a ton more GAY. :D

FAG

You get your new brakes on?

Yep. I like them a lot. The pedal feel is nice and firm, and the stopping distance is definetly improved.

This setup should have been installed from the factory. Great feel, good performance and no added noise or vibrations etc.

I am going to re-bleed the brakes this weekend and then really give them some hard use. I haven't done much aggressive driving with them.

http://mob121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/carusoa1986/ttrollin.jpg

Red wheels? I'm torn I think they look pretty cool/different but I don't know how long I could like them. I don't like the rest of the red accents done.

http://mob121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/carusoa1986/ttrollin.jpg

Red wheels? I'm torn I think they look pretty cool/different but I don't know how long I could like them. I don't like the rest of the red accents done.

Look like turbo twists, and NO.

Buy the car first, then you can fuck it up.

Look like turbo twists, and NO.

Buy the car first, then you can fuck it up.

They are twist's and I was supposed to go look at it today but it has rained all day down in cinci. Im heading down tomorrow. Barring anything big being wrong I'll prolly put a deposit on it. And it is a coupe not the roadster. Coils, chip, tint, larger rear sway and some terrible wheels(fixed easy enough).

I predict you get a shimmy in your wheel and you start cursing again.

Well you could have witnessed it first hand had you texted me back fuck face.

Now they will be excellent and you will fear the wrath that is superior driving in a lighter car.

PS, Weighed my car at Cosi, 3000lbs exactly. It got my weight and my wifes weight perfectly, so it is accurate.

FAG

I forgot to mention it has a Brembo brake upgrade too :D

Very cool.

I hope to do a BBK next time I need brakes. Going to be keeping the GTI until it is un-repairable, so when it is time to replace things, I will be going big.