Computer / Audio Advice

hot_wire

All of my music is on my computer. My stereo system is across the room. I'm tired of using my 3.5mm to RCA cable and I want to achieve two goals:

1) Wirelessly steam music from my computer's iTunes library (and possibly pandora, youtube, etc) to my stereo.

2) Improve sound quality (hopefully 192kbps and 5.1 audio) by using a fiberoptic or other quality connection from whatever wireless receiver to my home theater system.

I've considered an Apple Airport Extreme/Express because it has the fiberoptic toslink connection. I'm not sure if it can stream anything other than itunes though. I've also thought about an ad2p bluetooth receiver plugged in next to my stereo. Not sure about the audio quality there.

Also, it would be extra nice if my roommates could connect their laptops (mostly Macbooks) to the stereo as well during houseparties. What do you guys use?

Not sure if you can (Some pc's have them some dont) but you could get a FiberOptic Sound cord (Light through sound) and then run it that way. Thats how i have my xbox hooked up to my surround sound. Clearest type of audio ive ever heard.

Got an iPhone or iPod touch?

1. Download Orb App

2. Install Orb Server on your computer.

3. ???

4. Profit

Now it won't do toslink, obviously, but it works amazing.

Thought about this, but I like surfing the web on my computer while playing music across the room.

I also just upgraded my stereo and would like an upgraded connection. Keep the ideas comin though

Not sure if you can (Some pc's have them some dont) but you could get a FiberOptic Sound cord (Light through sound) and then run it that way. Thats how i have my xbox hooked up to my surround sound. Clearest type of audio ive ever heard.

That's exactly what I want.... Except I dont want my laptop tethered to the receiver.

That's exactly what I want.... Except I dont want my laptop tethered to the receiver.

Only thing i'd be worried about is if your Going from laptop ---> wireless whatever ---> speakers, while going from laptop to wireless wirelessly, then whatever to the speakers with the fiberoptic, wouldn't you only get the sound clarity thats as good as the wireless part?

Only thing i'd be worried about is if your Going from laptop ---> wireless whatever ---> speakers, while going from laptop to wireless wirelessly, then whatever to the speakers with the fiberoptic, wouldn't you only get the sound clarity thats as good as the wireless part?

Truth. I don't know much about this, but I thought that the wireless part would be a pure digital transmission at whatever bitrate the songs are saved at. Am I assuming too much?

Install the wire under carpet or through the walls. Be a man and it it right.

Tversity is also cool you can have it stream to anything almost. I have it working on my ps3, xbox360, sony psp, and my android phone. Orb in my opinion sucks but whatever.

Tomorrow I'm making a big move and buying a MacMini off of craigslist. I'm going to use it as the centerpiece of my home theater and hook it to the lcd tv via HDMI and to the receiver by toslink. I think a dedicated computer has a bunch of benefits that a simple bridge would not.

My roommates and I are planning to control it solely via our wireless network and remotedesktop. This will allow us play full quality music with no lag/ share our external harddrives/use it as a print server/watch saved movies/stream internet content & tv shows. I'm also going to try to get it setup to automatically backup my laptop's files every few days.

Thanks for the solid advice! I feel like if I am already committing to spending a hundred on a wireless setup, might as well spend double and get my entire home theater organized haha