Long range expedition vehicle

Forrest Gump 9

Ok, ever since I found this web site, http://2aroundtheworld.com/ , I couldn't get this idea out of my mind. I want to built a long range expedition vehicle!! So may be 4-5 years from now me and my son can go touring across the coutry and back (may even go up to Alaska).

I've been searching for a Land Cruiser with a diesel power plant. Thanks to the US laws that all the LC here in the US are gas power, the fews that are diesel power are at least 25 years old. And being a non US vehicle and older parts are harder to find.

My next logical step is find a diesel power vehicle that is available in the US market. So what American made diesel vehicle can be as reliable as a Land Cruiser?

I've made some choices

Jeep Liberty (diesel power)

Jeep Grand Cheroke (diesel power)

Ford Excursion (it's really big)

Any crew cab pickup truck

Or wait until next year and buy the Wrangler 4 door with diesel engine

Out of all the vehicles above, which would be a most reliable, least maintenace, and somewhat off-road worthy?

Consider that diesel isn't the most readily-available fuel in some remote areas ....

Having owned between 8 and 10 diesel vehicles, I can attest that it is pretty frustrating to have to drive an hour or more out of your way on a Sunday to find somewhere to buy diesel fuel.

My friend has a 93 landcruiser with 330,000 miles, gas engine. Original engine, transmission, everything. Really no need for diesel.

Agreed there are Cherokees that are at 300k miles with orginal engines and trans. Also for the price it would be easy to pick a XJ for fairly Cheap do a lift, tires, and wheels for cheap.

here is a cool expo site I lurk on. http://www.expeditionportal.com/

Guest tbutera2112
Jeep Liberty (diesel power)

I would stear away from the diesel powered Liberty. I have heard nothing but bad things about them. The 2.8L diesel has no power and worst gas mileage than the gas powered version. Also the Liberty really isn't a great platform for off roading. It can be done and I know people that do off road them, but there are easier and cheaper alturnatives.

I know a lot of people that have built vehicles like you are looking for. Of coure I have to suggest Jeeps and they all make good starting points for X vehicles. Wrangler/CJ if you want the most options but smaller size. Cherokee if you want more room inside, and a Grand Cherokee (ZJ or WJ) if you want a bigger engine option (V8) a little more room on the inside compared to the Cherokee and more comfort.

As others have suggested, finding diesel can be a pain at times in some areas of the Nation. But my biggest suggestion for a X vehicle is choice a platform and engine that isn't difficult to find parts for all around the world. Nothing would be worst than being broke down in some remote part of the nation and having to wait a week for parts to be special ordered. Because if you really do that, you will break down, and you will need to fix something along the way.

H1 with the 6.2 diesel power plant

If you've got a $30K range to spend, you can pick up an M998 MMWV (Army version). If the Toyota Hilux was availible in the States, it would be perfect for your needs. We've got 2 up-armored Hilux's (Tacomas) and they're little tanks. Both of them are turbo diesels and are very capable off road.