Thinking about getting a DD/winter beater, what can 3k get me?

Aaron

I am open to most things, but a truck or suv is most appealing at this point.

I want to spend 3k, so prices of 4k and under will be fine. I want it to be reliable enough to drive daily in the winter, and some days in the summer. RWD trucks are much cheaper than 4x4, and is fine with me.

So far I am considering:

Jeep Cherokee

Suburban

Let me know what you recommend and the issues with the 4.0 Cherokee's and suburbans.

Also, what about subaru's? awd recommendations? Best value recommendations etc

Thanks

4.0 Jeeps are bullet proof. Plenty of power and torque and extremely reliable. Some of the manual transmissions suck though. The Ba-10 used from 87-89 made by Peugeot is the worst Jeep gearbox ever created. The Ax-4 4 speed used from 87-90 is ok. The ax-5 is much better option used from 87-88. The ax-15 used from 89-97 is a great gearbox and easily swappable into the older models. As far as automatics go the aw -30/40 was used from 87-01 and is a variant of GM's 700r4 trans and is known to be reliable. My only other suggestion is check thoroughly for frame and body rust issues.

Of course I'm going to recommend a Subaru. :D

You'll probably be looking at high mileage (125K+) late 90s Subarus. They are usually pretty sound without too much rust. Just make sure there's a record of the timing belt being done around the 100K mark. Worse thing you'll likely have to deal with is a headgasket. If it comes to that, ZB has them down to a science.

Good luck.

4.0 Jeeps are bullet proof. Plenty of power and torque and extremely reliable. Some of the manual transmissions suck though.

I want an auto only. Any resources to find one besides craigslist and autotrader?

Of course I'm going to recommend a Subaru. :D

You'll probably be looking at high mileage (125K+) late 90s Subarus. They are usually pretty sound without too much rust. Just make sure there's a record of the timing belt being done around the 100K mark. Worse thing you'll likely have to deal with is a headgasket. If it comes to that, ZB has them down to a science.

Good luck.

Since when is a headgasket not a big issue? Also, any help finding one? My searches for subaru's in that price range came up with 3, 200k+ outbacks.

my bad...got confused about the comment about wanting auto only a few above lol

Thanks for looking, its not a deal breaker on a beater, but just a preference. I am leaning toward a truck at this point, but I want to see what my options are.

RWD in the winter? lol

A scooby is what to get. Like Draco said, you are looking at a higher mileage late 90's one, but you will not be displeased with whatever you end up with.

Not sure I fit in the subarus very well though. Any thoughts on where to find the nicest subaru for 3k?

Buy anything, if it's not AWD put snow tires on it and your done. If you don't care about drag racing people in the snow, you'll be fine. Drove a G35 last winter in 5" of snow with snow tires on it and it felt fantastic, not as good as my Subaru, but for a RWD car it was really nice.

Depends on your needs, A to B, buy snow tires and pick a car. Play...AWD.

Buy anything, if it's not AWD put snow tires on it and your done. If you don't care about drag racing people in the snow, you'll be fine. Drove a G35 last winter in 5" of snow with snow tires on it and it felt fantastic, not as good as my Subaru, but for a RWD car it was really nice.

Depends on your needs, A to B, buy snow tires and pick a car. Play...AWD.

Sure it wasn't an AWD G35?

The 2 suburbans are RWD, and I am fine with that. My parents had an 89 rwd suburban, currently have a rwd 02 trailblazer and have been fine.

I am currently looking at cars now. Not sure what I want, but the 2 suburbans are the best thing I have found in the truck/suv category. One is 4k, the other 3k. 130 and 150k mileage, both RWD, both look to be in excellent condition.

Going to check them out tomorrow.