Stall switch

Sam1647545489

As posted before I am having problems with the boat dying when coming out of gear and goin into neutral. I am pretty sure the cable is streched past being able to be adjusted. Before I go ripping off the lower unit to replace the cable, I wanna make sure I understand the stall switch. Its only purpose is to cut timing just so the boat can "pop" outta gear and go into neutral. If that is all that it does, why cant I wire up a 2 wire push button on the throttle lever and push it myself to stall the motor for a sec and pull it into neutral??? I feel as that would work just as well. Am I wrong here???

I think it would probably be ok to do for a temporary fix. I wasn't sure though so I went looking and found this on one of the boat websites.

Theoretically yes it would accomplish the same thing. When in gear and under load (prop on and in the water) the gears are tightly linked together, momentarily stalling the engine takes the load off the gears making them very easy to separate. The timing of the interrupt switch is critical, making at the wrong time won't help, making too long will most likely stall the engine. Your best bet is to get the arm switch asm adjusted and working correctly.

It seems several people have done this to limp through the season.

I would probably replace it over winter though or take it up to Bill at Total Marine Performance.

This is basically all I am trying to achieve. I wanna make it through the summer then have it professionally fixed. I am gonna read up and see if it is something I can tackle myself or take it somewhere to get fixed. Thanks Matt.