oil drip....

ghost1647545489

I'm not aware of any horror stories? I don't want to hear "a guy I know...". But I wouldn't mind hearing actual bad issues you have experienced.

Are you slow or something? Go re-read, 3 people including myself have given you first hand stories. 1 guy gave a 'friend' story and he didn't specify the dealership. That was Tyler so be happy that it was even intelligible.

You opened up this can of worms and didn't like what came out. Put your big boy panties on and deal with it. At some point you might grow up and stop defending and being friends with people who are shitty people. Even if they are not shitty to you. :o

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/1aEUnQaAsLI/0.jpg

I use the Hamilton Byers. I have pretty good luck with them. They have a couple of good Suby techs there. Now don't freak when Paul at then service desk answers...it is a different Paul lol.

damn Ghost, this thread turned to hell pretty quick just like your other one.

If I remember correctly the Porsche flat 6's have a tendency to leak from the rear main seal. I'd look around on rennlist and see if there are common symptoms and fixes available. Maybe Audion19s or Mensan can chime in here to help you out.

The M96 blocks in those cars have a horrible rear main seal design. Most of them leaked or will leak.

I was fortunate enough to look for and find a car with no history of leaks when I bought my 996. Seems like if they leak once, they'll continually develop leaks. There's a new design seal that comes out about once a year that's supposed to be updated and better and never fixes it.

Did you have a PPI done prior to buying?

IF I were you, I'd take it to a place that knows porsches (Auto Assets in Powel is a good one), ask them to inspect the seal to determine if it's leaking and if it is indeed wet, ask Byers to replace the seal for you.

To get a basic guestimate on your own is the leak at the center of the motor or more near the tires? You'll see the dripping in the center where the motor and tranny come together if it's an RMS. It's not uncommon to have valve cover leaks in those motors with some miles on them (my car had a slight drip from the valve covers) but you'll see those drips at the outer most extremeties of the motor near the tires. If the RMS is starting to leak, when that seal goes bad it'll dump all the oil in a hurry eventually if you don't address it.

Otherwise they're pretty well sealed up motors. I can't see any leaks developing from just overfilling it with oil.

Andy

p.s. Don't let the RMS deal scare you away from the car though. They're amazing cars, truely a dream to drive. The RMS issue is just a bit of the thorn inthe side with ownership but the rest of the car will make you quickly forget about it.

A porsche tech should know how to appropriately fill the oil on a porsche flat six but I do know that with the dry sump setup on my dads old '87 M491 (turbo look) 911 cab it was different and someone could easily make a mistake- the engine had to be running and at temp IIRC ....it took like 10 quarts as well...

A porsche tech should know how to appropriately fill the oil on a porsche flat six but I do know that with the dry sump setup on my dads old '87 M491 (turbo look) 911 cab it was different and someone could easily make a mistake- the engine had to be running and at temp IIRC ....it took like 10 quarts as well...

M96's are all wet sump. Dump in 10 quarts and you're done.