Wheel gun debate...

Scotty2Hotty

.357MAG or .44MAG? I'm torn as to which wheel gun I would prefer. I'm set at 6" of barrel length, but not exactly on what caliber I want. Eventually I would like to get out and hog hunt or do some other hunting with the firearm. My choices:

S&W 686 Plus (.357)

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/dealers/prod_images/178030.jpg

Or the ever classic 629 (.44):

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/dealers/prod_images/150714.jpg

Before Austin jumps in to tell me I need a Magnum 500 :D I'd like to still be able to enjoy a day at the range without spending $50 for 20 rounds.

I'd go with the 629, but get some rubber grips if you plan on shooting it much. Why .357?

I consider the 686 a little more versatile for the fact I can also shoot .38's. Another strength for .357 is the fact if I happened to grab it, it's a great defensive firearm. I shouldn't have to worry about over penetration with .357 compared to the .44. But I am swinging more towards the .44 for it's extra punch it brings to the table.

If you're going for hogs (and lots of them), I'd go .357. They do just fine on hogs and you can slip in an extra round or two, not to mention, .44 ain't no powder puff to shoot. You might look into a 686-7 like Trowa has (I think), or maybe even a PC version, where you can get 8 stuffed in there. They're hard to find, and pricey though. Someday, I shall have one.

You can shoot .44 Special from most .44 Magnum chambers, just like .38/.357 HOWEVER...I've seen a ton of .44 Mag ammo, but I can't recall ever seeing a box of .44 Spec on a shelf anywhere.

.41 Mag is an option, the performance is more-or-less between .357 and .44, but there are fewer platforms available and ammo choice is somewhat limited.

My Dad's Ruger Blackhawk in .357 is as sweet a shooter as can be found...The only thing I don't like on it is that it is single-action.

Also, don't overlook Ruger revolvers. I'm normally not a Ruger fan (fuck Bill Ruger), but their [metal] revolvers are solid. My dad bought a 4" .357 for hog blasting and I'm pretty impressed with it.

Bill Ruger is why we had magazine bans. I hate that asshole, and I rarely support Ruger, if ever. Though a Gemini Custom SP101 is a work of art.

I have a S&W 686 6" if you want to shoot it. I love the gun and the option of shooting .38 +P and 357. I've rented the 629 before at NASR and it was fun but I rather buy a magnum 500. That thing is a "blast" to shoot minus the high price for rounds :)

Trust me, I've had the 500 debate plenty of times. I'm not trying to sound cheap or anything, but $60/20 rounds for shits n' giggles is a hair pricey. I really like the 629 Stealth Hunter, but it's rare to see one in stock. I need to pick up a 590A1 mossberg aswell, so I guess it's not all bad having to wait. The 686-7shot is in the $790 range, 629 closer to mid $800's. The Stealth Hunter is a pretty decent bargain for what it offers. I think either one I'll eventually pick up, but I think I'll have to re-introduce myself to wheel guns again. It's been a little while since I shot a magnum chambered revolver.

If you are going with a classic .357, get a Colt Python. They are a thing of beauty. I have a 4in Python if you would like to try, they also come in 6in and 8in. Somewhat hard to find and expensive, but IMHO well worth it.

In response to your orginal post, I would go with a long barrelled .44 Mag, and then you can use it on deer too I believe.

The prices on the 686 must of went up. The one I got was over a year ago at NASR. It was the 7 shot model and it was $700ish IIRC. It came with a $50 MIR from S&W and NASR also gave us a $50 gift card for anything at the range. At the time I thought it was still on the expensive side. Great gun I shoot the best with it.

NASR and their lame tactics... lol I can say that, I used to work there. SPECIAL ORDER HAVEN.

A 686 is a must in any collection. Used 686's are ridiculous. Might as well buy a used one-- still have a lifetime factory warranty and use the money you save to put towards something else.

Buy both !

neither one I no longer have(owned both at a similar time period),and enjoyed both of them. the 38/357 compatability was great for light target loads,never encountered the myth of 38s' not accurate because of the extra jump to engage lands. 44M was a pleasure to shoot,even with hot handloads.

If I had to choose,I couldn't,I appreciated and enjoyed both.

I didn't think it was. I don't think Rich or Claire would give a gift card for a used gun.

One of the guys there I forget his name right now but he has the hots for my wife. He told me to let him know if we part ways and I told him not to hold his breathe. I took it as a complement He let her rent the Magnum 500 for free we just had to buy the ammo. Another trip he let me use his personal S&W 10MM gun if I saved the brass. That was a fun gun!

I love my M77's... but I've not heard anything of reasons to hate Bill Ruger, enlighten me?

Long and short of it, he came out in support of banning "hi-capacity" magazines. The quote usually attributed to him is something along the lines of "Only a criminal would ever need more than 10 rounds of ammunition"...now the real question is whether he actually believed that, whether he was sucking up to the gun-grabbers in the media, or whether he realized the only good guns his company had for sale or in development at the time were revolvers...