android 2.2 update

evan9381

Android phones are a lot more technical than other phones. Applications like task manager/app killer need to be tweaked to make them useful. The problem is people just try to close everything all the time thinking it helps.. then they go to use a navigation apps and stuff and wonder why it cant find their location. Another thing is it actually uses more battery stopping and starting running services all the time.

I personally dont like the 2.2 update. At first it was cool but I like 2.1 more. I'll probably reset it to factory and root it to ignore the update here soon.

funny, because when i called tech support today to try to go back to 2.1, i was told that "it's not possible" and in response to all the shit i dont want "don't use those apps". WTF kind of answer is that?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They ended up giving me a Motorola Cliq XT. It's not a bad phone, but being stuck in 1.5 I don't get Nav or ability to save pics to SD, or really access to the SD card for the most part. I don't know the validity of the of the rumors that Motorolas brick easily, but I didn't want to screw it up. Three more months and I can get what I want, or I will switch and get the Galaxy S or next best thing.

I think the Galaxy S on Sprint (also called Epic 4G) will be my next phone in a month or so. I went into the Sprint store at Easton to check out the Evo in person and ended up liking the Galaxy way more. It does pretty much everything an Evo does, but with a physical keyboard and a much higher quality screen. I'm sold.

Root permissions wont just get rid off apps, you have to NAND unlock as the preloaded apps are in /system. And 2.2 has been rooted, it involves a downgrade to 2.1. Sebastian Krahmer developed the local root exploit it uses.

I did not have to downgrade in order to root to 2.2d

as a matter of fact, I actually have different roms that run different versions now, (2 that runs 2.1 and 1 that runs 2.2) there are apps like sdrecovery that make it incredibly simple to switch back and forth... and if you don't like that, go download an app called ROM Manager, it will take care of EVERYTHING for you with 1 click after you root the device (which is just as simple.)

I think the Galaxy S on Sprint (also called Epic 4G) will be my next phone in a month or so. I went into the Sprint store at Easton to check out the Evo in person and ended up liking the Galaxy way more. It does pretty much everything an Evo does' date=' but with a physical keyboard and a much higher quality screen. I'm sold.[/quote']

Yeah I really wanted the Evo when it came out, but I wasn't willing to pay the cancellation fees. I don't have much longer. I might have to head out and see the Galaxy S in person. I was very impressed by Mike's Evo.

funny, because when i called tech support today to try to go back to 2.1, i was told that "it's not possible" and in response to all the shit i dont want "don't use those apps". WTF kind of answer is that?

Its not possible through anything the company supports. You would have to google the directions and do it yourself. 2.2 is what they are forced to support along with the apps that come with it.

First off, app killer is pointless.

You can uninstall apps using ADB.

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=ADB

In the new phones yes.. battery life and processing speeds are no longer an issue so its just an app to make people feel like they have more control.

yeah, it is bs you have you to root to get rid of the software you don't want slowing down your phone. but, good thing someone hacked it. there is a click once thing giong around to do it. it's pretty easy. i am waiting for the 2.2 update to be applied my Verizon before i root my phone though.

I have the Droid X running 2.2 and just rooted it on Friday using the adb method. It's the same process as the Droid 2 or the original Droid, very simple. Now I am just waiting on the vanilla rom to come out so I can get rid of all the worthless Verizon crap.

Thats funny, I have a Verizon droid I got from Best Buy, a still on Verizon and upgraded to 2.2 abit ago.

I have none of the crapware you guys are mentioning on my phone. Odd. I'm not complaining.

---------------------------------------------------------

BTW - let me speak as a software developer, and not someone who sells phones: Androids "just work" too. Thats part of why their sales figures are passing Apple's. All the tweaking and twixing, tuning and hacking is far more possible and powerful on them than on iphones so thats why you read about it more. It doesnt have any relevence or correlation to how well the vanilla devices work right out of the box. Which, btw, Gartner is collecting data on, on all mobility devices. Looking very forward to when they publish THAT data...

Anyway, the Apple fanboy advertising mantra of "it just works" is tired, old, and false. Give me 5 mins on an apple desktop, ipad or iphone and I guarantee can completely lock it up/crash it to hard boot. We do it daily at work. They're more stable than some and less stable than others. Their shit's not anywhere near the top of the stability heap.

Oh, and I've been writing software for mainframes, PCs, all unix flavors, Macs, rim, droid, iphones, you name it for coming up on 30 years.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread

--------------------------------------------------------

So something else ive noticed with this that BLOWS...today, ran battery down to about 12%...plugged it in to a wall outlet...3 hrs 25min with next to no usage to get to 100%...searching androidforums i guess its something HTC confirmed was changed with2.2.

Longer to charge than i get use time out of it FTL

2.2 increased my battery life. Turn off the screen brightness data sync gps and wireless. Seriously all these posts about 2.2 blowing you are doing it wrong. I would never go back to 2.1.

FUCK THE BEST OPTION WITH FROYO IS BLUETOOTH VOICE ACTIVATED DIALING. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS? EAD

battery life sucks with 2.2, but 2.1 wasn't great either. however 1 thing that is a known fact with 2.2 that you can't argue trowa is that there is a codec with pandora, slacker, last.fm, xiia etc. that doesn't work well with the 2.2 froyo update. google has said publicly that there is a problem and they are working on fixing it. music quality is shit and it will stop mid song and just start another song. 2.2 sucks and is going to take some work to get it right.

http://www.androidcentral.com/fix-coming-froyo-audio-issues

battery life sucks with 2.2, but 2.1 wasn't great either. however 1 thing that is a known fact with 2.2 that you can't argue trowa is that there is a codec with pandora, slacker, last.fm, xiia etc. that doesn't work well with the 2.2 froyo update. google has said publicly that there is a problem and they are working on fixing it. music quality is shit and it will stop mid song and just start another song. 2.2 sucks and is going to take some work to get it right.

The work around is rooting and installing a custom rom (if available for your device) that fixes this issue. My droid 1 has this and there is no issues with pandora and slacker. I use both of them daily.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/71611-ss-4-7-faster-more-statusbar-options-music-controls.html

The work around is rooting and installing a custom rom (if available for your device) that fixes this issue. My droid 1 has this and there is no issues with pandora and slacker. I use both of them daily.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/71611-ss-4-7-faster-more-statusbar-options-music-controls.html

yea you should have to risk bricking your phone in order to get streaming music... :rolleyes:

I've seen iphones do that shit too

yea you should have to risk bricking your phone in order to get streaming music... :rolleyes:

honestly, dude, there's no risk... it's so fail safe anymore... if you do get a bad rom, boot up in the custom boot manager and put the factory rom back on, or another rom on...

I thought I bricked my evo the other day trying to install cyanogenmod rom through rom manager, got stuck in a loading animation. Finally the battery died, I plugged it in started it back up, went into recovery and reloaded my nandroid backup.

In other news, theres a new Unrevoked3 that will one click root 2.2 but they pulled it within hours of its release to fix something. Not sure if its back out yet.

Buuuuuuuuut I managed to snag a copy of the original before it got pulled. Only two people had problems with the original but I'm still scared to go this route.